PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Connection Question

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Let me make sure I explain this right...

I have a wireless router hooked up to my desktop computer in my bedroom... The router allows four wired plugin... I have Playstation 3 and Xbox360 plugged into the router... My modem is plugged into the desktop along with the router... Downstairs, my parents' laptop is using the wireless wifi connection from the router... We haven't ever had a problem before... The last 2 weeks, anytime my parents put on the laptop, the wireless card takes anywhere from 2 minutes to over 30 minutes trying to find the wireless signal we use... During that time, my entire internet shuts down... I can't use the internet connection for the PS3, Xbox or on my desktop... Once the laptop finds the wireless connection, all internet works again..

Can someone tell me what is going on??? How do I fix it??? I tried Linksys/Cicso tech support but the router is now out of warranty and they would charge me for support, which I refuse to pay... And I cannot find a solution using Google...

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Sound's odd, but your description sounds odd as well.

Should be something like this;

Internet >>---> Modem >>---> Router >>---> Computers

What you describe sounds like your computer is sharing the Internet with everyone else, and I don't think that's an ideal setup.

I would set up your network as mentioned above, and reset the router to stock settings (actually flashing the firmware wouldn't be a bad idea) and redo all your wireless settings. See if that resolves anything.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
My router is hooked up into the computer... The modem is, after checking, hooked up into the router..

So basically, my cable wire for the internet is hooked up into my modem..

The modem is hooked up into the wireless router...

The router is hooked up into my ehternet connection in my desktop...

The funny thing is, when the laptop takes a long time to detect the wi-fi, if I unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds, and plug the modem back in, the connection is established rather quickly and all the internet connections work... I may just call my service provider and see... It may be the modem... If it is the settings on my router, then I am lost because I don't know where to access them or how to even reset them or get the proper settings...

Ian
06-05-2011, 02:53 PM
It's pretty easy to adjust your router settings. You just have to go to your router's IP address (for a Linksys router should be 192.168.1.1), log in with your router credentials, and then you'll be at the admin panel.

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 04:47 PM
It's NOT your modem, the router is giving out IP addresses to the computers that connect in the configuration that you describe. And it appears that's where the diffuculty is.

I'd do the router firmware. Hire a Nerd, Geek, or whatever local tech guys are around your area if you need help.

If you live in an area where there are a number of wireless networks, I might look there. Is your connection secured with WPA (WPA PSK, WPA2, etc)? If not (probably WEP) it's easy for someone to hack into the network and maybe they are causing problems. I'm not sure, I don't keep up with hacking, I just know to not make it easy for others to get in.

At the very least though, unplug the router for a while (minute or two) and see if that helps. IT guys often suggest a reboot and a lot of poeple don't take it seriously. It does help many times, or at least gives you a fresh starting point.

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
It's pretty easy to adjust your router settings. You just have to go to your router's IP address (for a Linksys router should be 192.168.1.1), log in with your router credentials, and then you'll be at the admin panel.

Thanks Ian... Did that... Everything looks fine...

I did notice, on the laptop, a list of different wireless connections the wi-fi card is picking up, I guess wi-fi in the area... All are poor connections except the one we use from the router in my bedroom... I thought maybe since the card is detecting several other wi-fi servers, that it may be taking a while to register into mine...

DizneyFreak2002
06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
It's NOT your modem, the router is giving out IP addresses to the computers that connect in the configuration that you describe. And it appears that's where the diffuculty is.

I'd do the router firmware. Hire a Nerd, Geek, or whatever local tech guys are around your area if you need help.

If you live in an area where there are a number of wireless networks, I might look there. Is your connection secured with WPA (WPA PSK, WPA2, etc)? If not (probably WEP) it's easy for someone to hack into the network and maybe they are causing problems. I'm not sure, I don't keep up with hacking, I just know to not make it easy for others to get in.

At the very least though, unplug the router for a while (minute or two) and see if that helps. IT guys often suggest a reboot and a lot of poeple don't take it seriously. It does help many times, or at least gives you a fresh starting point.

Made sure the connection is secure, and it is... I'll try unplugging the router later... Everything else seems fine though...

VWL Mom
06-05-2011, 07:29 PM
If you have Verizon FIOs you may want to give them a call. Our system had been acting strangely for the last 2 week (similar to what you describe) and they had to reset my ONT?! They did it remotely and we have been running smoothly since.

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks Ian... Did that... Everything looks fine...

I did notice, on the laptop, a list of different wireless connections the wi-fi card is picking up, I guess wi-fi in the area... All are poor connections except the one we use from the router in my bedroom... I thought maybe since the card is detecting several other wi-fi servers, that it may be taking a while to register into mine...

Might be worth changing the channel within your wireless configuration. Mine has always been 6, I think it's more of a default than a suggestion. Others may be less congested and perform better. I don't think one is better than another in terms of performance.

Ed
06-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Internet >>---> Modem >>---> Router >>---> Computers

My router is hooked up into the computer... The modem is, after checking, hooked up into the router..

So basically, my cable wire for the internet is hooked up into my modem..

The modem is hooked up into the wireless router...

The router is hooked up into my ehternet connection in my desktop...

Your toe bone connected to your foot bone
Your foot bone connected to your ankle bone
Your ankle bone connected to your leg bone
Your leg bone connected to your knee bone
Your knee bone connected to your thigh bone
Your thigh bone connected to your hip bone
Your hip bone connected to your back bone
Your back bone connected to your shoulder bone
Your shoulder bone connected to your neck bone
Your neck bone connected to your head bone
I hear the word of the Lord.

Sorry... that old song just popped into my head when I read this. :blush:

We occasionally have pretty much the same problem. I normally just turn the modem and router off for a minute or so, reconnect them, and everything's fine. Until the next time, that is. :badpc: