PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Lizzie
06-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Looking into purchasing. We are a family of six so we would need to buy a two bedroom.

I see that you can buy into any resort but some resorts have an earlier end date. If I buy into a resort that has a later end date how hard is it going to be to stay at other resort.

Basicly love the pool at beach club kids love to swim. Is it hard to book here if it is not your home resort for a two bedroom?

We generally vacation end of August or end of September.

kakn7294
06-05-2011, 01:22 AM
We don't belong but from what my DVC member friends say, you can reserve your home resort (the one you purchased into) 11 months in advance and all others at 7 months in advance. During the busier months, it's sometimes difficult to reserve at a non-home resort. However, you can always make a reservation at your home resort at 11 months then try for a non-home resort at 7 months. And you can waitlist if you can't get in on the first try - sometimes those become available at a later date.

Here we go again...
06-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Lizzy, DVC works a little different. You do not purchase a 2 bedroom.
You purchase the amount of points you need to take a vacation at your home resort at the time of the year you think you will go most.

Since we were going 2-3 times a year we got 230 points at Saratoga Springs. That gave us enough for a studio, 1 bed room or 2 bedroom during any year. If we were only going to get 1 trip then we might bring frinds and do a 2 bedroom.

When the grandkids came along we added 125 points at Bay Lake. Now we have plenty of points to do what ever we want.

The studios usually go first since they take the least amount of points.
2 bedrooms are pretty easy - we have never had a problem.

We book at our home resort at 11 months out but at 7 months out we try other resorts. We do this to switch it up. So far we have stayed at everything except Animal Kingdom.

I LOVE Bay Lake thanks to the monorail and easy access to Magic Kingdom since I am handicapped.

If you have more questions you can private message me. This gets pretty long and confusing
Angel

DizneyRox
06-05-2011, 03:59 AM
I generally say, buy where you want to stay. DO NOT BUY where you don't want to stay. The reason, is as mentioned, it's always better to book at 11 months to insure you have a place to stay, and you can only book at you home resort at 11 months.

You may be able to swap into a different resort, you may not. I've never had trouble, but it all depends. Beach Club is popular, and it's a little bit small.

Really figure out what you NEED to vacation, not what you want. I always suggest upgrading your accomodations in some way. For example, don't plan on always being able to get a Studio Standard View room at the Beach Club. They are VERY LIMITED and go FAST. If that's you plan buy points to cover the Preferred View for when you want to go. You can always bank any extra, but if you can't get enough points for the preferred if the standard is sold out, what can you do? You MUST have the points in order to book.

Regarding the end dates, it's too early to tell, but unless Disney offers to extend the DVC memberships, it may be that you can't book at the resorts that are ending first. For example, I think Boardwalk contracts end 2042. In 2043, it could be that Boardwalk isn't part of DVC, so you wouldn't be able to use your points there. OKW I think was extended, and members were offered the ability to extend their contracts (for a price).