PDA

View Full Version : 4 years and 40in.

Jeddie
06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
176 days to go, got all our ADRs made, travel arrangements pretty much in order, so I started to think about different and new attractaion experiences, and realized that our DD-4 (who will be almost 5 at travel time), passed 40inches in height at a recent doctor's visit and now "qualifies" for some pretty awesome rides. :D Then I realized that DD-2 (will be almost 3 at travel time), who is pretty tall for her age, may actually end up close to that point too. But are they ready? :scratch: I wanted to share my thoughts and see if anyone had similar thoughts, experiences, and most importantly, what were the outcomes (the good, the bad, and the ugly :fit: ):

MK

Splash Mountain
I'm thinking no problem, they'll like everything this ride has to offer, including the drop, and I feel a lot better that they have the lap bar now (being that they are both skinny peanuts). DD-2 is also the dare devil of the two of them.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
I think both again may be fine for this. DD-4 has been on the Barnstormer when she was 2 1/2, and other kid coasters. DD-2 should have gone on a kid coaster before too by this point, and I think she will love them.

Stitch's Great Escape
I actually think DD-4 would be scared of this, even more so than DD-2, since its really dark and may be a little too much sensory overload for either of them. DW and I have only been on this once before, and don't remember the experience as well as others.

Epcot
Soarin'
Unfortunately, I think DD-2 is too young for this great attraction, reason being that it is such a thrill to the senses, she may not be able to handle it. I'm having the hardest time thinking how DD-4 would handle it, again, is it too much of an experience?

Test Track
No problems here for either of them. This may be 1 of 2 thrill rides our entire family traveling together (6) will be able to ride if DD-2 makes it :D

DHS

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Although I know they would love the elevator drop sequence, getting to that point might give them nightmares for a month, so I'm thinking this is a no for both.

Star Tours
I admit I am a little biased with this attraction since I love Star Wars and this ride was the best thing since blue milk when I first rode it in DLR, and I think they would both enjoy this ride. Even though its a more intense simulator experience than Soarin', its more intimate being in the enclosed Star Speeder, and that would be both comforting and add to the fun for both of them.

Animal Kingdom

Kali River Rapids
This is the 2 of 2 for thrill rides I think our whole family can enjoy. My only reservation is that its completely free from any type of track, so would/could it be too rough for either of them?

Dinosaur
No way. We're not even sure how they'll be in Ellen's Energy Adventure.

I think that covers them all, but if I missed something, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Our son was 40" by age 2, therefore tall enough to ride (he was tall enough for Space Mtn and Mission Space when he was 3). He is now 7 and I am consulting him while I type....

MK

Splash Mountain
The only thing that posed a problem on Splash was the getting wet part. We rarely ride it now because neither of our kids want to get wet. The drop was not an issue, and the meandering ride itself is so very fabulous!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
I agree it shouldn't be a problem, but it sure is a bumpy ride. If they are skinny little things, they will really get tossed about.

Stitch's Great Escape
If they don't like the dark rides, don't do it. My son's issue has always been with the Chili Dog burp smell at the end of it.

Epcot

Soarin' was and is loved by our kids without any issues whatsoever. I would recommend it to anyone as long as they don't have a fear of heights.

Test Track
The corrosion chamber (with bright lights and heat) cause my youngest son to refuse to ride Test Track. He loves everything else about it (and I can often bribe one ride out of him each trip), but if your kids have light sensitivies it might be an issue.

DHS

Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
If you think it, you are probably right. It's not worth freaking them out over. We do have some fabulous elevator photos of us over the years, but recently, our youngest son has refused to ride "Just because".

Star Tours
We haven't ridden the new one yet, but the old version was a ride again and again ride for both the boys. As long as your kids are cool with motion rides, I'll bet they'll love it.

Animal Kingdom

Kali River Rapids
Don't underestimate the whole getting soaked thing. The last time I rode, there was a little girl in our raft and she got soaked and became terrified and screamed for the duration of the ride. I felt so badly for her. My kids wont ride because they don't want to get wet.

Dinosaur
If you think no way, then no way. Both of my kids have loved the ride from the very first time. It is bumpy and rough, and a lighter child will definitely get tossed about within her seat. And the huge dinosaurs sure have an impact!!

Honestly go with your instincts. You know best, and if you plan on making a visit in future years, they will have the opportunity to ride things again another time.

lovinmesomedisney
06-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm sure you know best how your kids will react to all the different attractions. I have to say though, on my last trip, we had a three year old who LOVED Soarin! I don't see a problem with that one, but once again, it's your kids.

Gator
06-03-2011, 08:13 PM
My son just hit 40 inches on our last trip, and my daughter was already there. We did every ride you listed, and they loved every one of them. I figured my son to be scared to death of Tower of Terror, but he kept asking and he thought it was awesome. The only ride they really didn't love was Dinosaur - and I'll admit that it scares me more than the kids. My son loved the dinos and the dino shop at the end.

I'd say let them ride anything and everything, and they'll never be too scared in the future for all the 44inch rides.

Jillirose
06-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with you on most, but disagree on Soarin' - much tamer on the senses than test track.

And, no way on Tower of Terror until they (kids) ask to go! My husband took our son (age 6) who thought he wanted to, and once he was strapped in wanted to get out! My husband said, "son, this is what you call a commitment." Anyway it ruined him from ALL thrill rides (even ones we knew he would like) until age 10. Now he's back to riding everything BUT Tower of Terror!! haha

floridamom
06-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Our younger daughter had been on everything on your list except Dinosaur by age 3. (For some reason, none of us have been on that.)She just wanted to keep up with her big sister. But now that she is old enough (6) to know what she is getting into, the only one she doesn't like is TOT, not because of the drop, but because of the dark twilight zone lead-in. Soarin' has been her fave from the beginning. IMHO, the wet rides are totally based on preference--some kids love it, others are miserable.

Imagineer1981
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
A good trick is to try to show your son videos on you tube of what the rides are like. Granted Dinosaur is not as intense on a movie, but he will get a general idea. It couldnt hurt

RBrooksC
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
My son turned five in February and reached the 44" mark, just barely, for our trip a couple of weeks ago.

He rode everything that Disney would allow a child at 44" to ride.

The only ride where he was visibly shaken and said he didn't like it was after Space Mountain, which I did anticipate but after a ride up the moving walkway at the end of the ride and getting a t-shirt, he was fine.

Every other ride he want on ended with him saying, "THAT WAS AWESOME!"

The only ride where I was unsure was Mission: Space. I wasn't sure if he was up for the G-Forces and would look at the screen the whole time, etc. Not only did he demand to ride the spinning version, he pushed the buttons when he was supposed to push them and thought it was the third best ride in Epcot after Test Track and Soar'n.

RBrooksC
06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
A good trick is to try to show your son videos on you tube of what the rides are like. Granted Dinosaur is not as intense on a movie, but he will get a general idea. It couldnt hurt

I showed my son ALL the YouTube videos for almost a year leading up to our trip. He knew everything about the rides prior to going.

He also watched Modern Marvels: Walt Disney World ad nauseum and could quote things about the rides from that.

Disney-4-Me
06-07-2011, 11:21 AM
It's hard to predict what's going to happen with little kids. We went almost every summer with my two sons and now every year with my nephews.

It always surprises me when they don't want to go on a ride that they went on the year before. One year when my younger son was 7 we were loading on Splash Mountain he stepped right through our log and out the other side and sat on a bench. He said, "I'll be right here." I was so shocked we just went ahead and rode!

He had been on SM lots of times on previous vacations so I never did figure out what that was about. Just be ready for anything when you are traveling with little ones!;)