PDA

View Full Version : What wireless router to buy for resort visit?

DisneyGiant
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
We will be "going home" in about a month to the Boardwalk Villas. We will get free wi-fi, but are bringing 2 laptops and 2 iPads. We are thinking about buying a wireless router to accommodate our "information addictions."

Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific one and what the cost is?

Or do we need one if one of us has an iPhone? I've read somewhere that perhaps the iPhone itself can act as a router?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

ElenitaB
06-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I got an Apple AirPort (refurbished) for our extended stay last year at OKW. It worked like a charm with our iPhones, Dell laptop and iPad. Super easy set-up and I was able to put a password on it too. :thumbsup:

DisneyGiant
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks so much. That looks like it will do it.

DizneyRox
06-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Or do we need one if one of us has an iPhone? I've read somewhere that perhaps the iPhone itself can act as a router?
It can, it's called tethering. There is a pay service through AT&T or Verizon for this, or you can do it for "free".

I have used two programs, PDANet and MyWi, both are available in the Cydia app store and work good. Currently using PDANet on my iPhone 4 with no trouble. I've used it in the car for Internet access on my tablet, all sorts of things.

Tethering really drains your phone battery, so if you're plugged into the wall, no biggie.

brownie
06-14-2011, 09:12 AM
We will get free wi-fi,

Assuming that you're getting free wired internet, and not free Wifi since Wifi would eliminate the need for a wireless router.

An iPhone can serve as a wireless hotspot. I think my bride said it was like $5-10 more a month to enable it, but don't quote that as what it actually is. (It's $30 more a month for me to enable it on my EVO from Sprint.)

magicofdisney
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
I have a question about using the iPhone as a tether.

If you have 4 other devices using the wifi from the iPhone tether (at the same time), are you using 4x as much of your data plan? Is there some way to monitor how much has been used (or at least know what your balance is at any given time)?

DizneyRox, when you say "free", is that with a jailbroke phone?