PDA

View Full Version : Three Broomsticks

DVC2004
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Can anyone give me more info- this is a sit town restaurant? What's good here? Can you get in, do they take walk ups or advance reservations? We will be at IOA next Wed and wondering if we should attempt to go here. Any info is appreciated. I didn't see too much about it on Universal's site.

buzznwoodysmom
06-03-2011, 02:01 PM
This is not a sit down restaurant. You can just walk right on in. Both times we ate here we arrived around 11am for an early lunch. We didn't have a long wait that way. In March we ordered a few of the chicken and rib meals to share between our family of four and it was very, very good. Plenty enough food for all of us, especially since we had butterbeer with the meal, then stopped at the candy store for chocolate and peppermint frogs after.

Here is a tip, if you want to try butterbeer get it a Three Broomsticks with your meal. You'll have a much shorter wait for it than if you order it at the cart outside. I've seen the line for butterbeer as long as an attraction line!

DVC2004
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh thank you for the info! We were at IOA last August but the whole area was extremely crowded- DH waited in line FOREVER for the butterbeer cart. We'll definitely plan to try this place for an early or late lunch and butterbeer.

mahannie
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Another time saver is to go inside the Hog's Head door and get either kind of butterbeer at the bar. Never had to wait while the carts outside had a dozen people in line.

Oh, and you can get a wee discount on butterbeer at the bar if you show your AAA card :thumbsup: (Just be aware that the AAA discount does not work at the outside carts.)

Peppermint frogs are very, very tasty!

NJGIRL
06-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Another time saver is to go inside the Hog's Head door and get either kind of butterbeer at the bar. Never had to wait while the carts outside had a dozen people in line.

This is what we did. We did have to wait inside but it wasn't as long as the cart.

All reports I have read about the Three Broomstick have been good. It seems as the food is good. I saw the line for lunch and it seemed to be moving at a steady pace.

Melanie
06-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is a tip, if you want to try butterbeer get it a Three Broomsticks with your meal. You'll have a much shorter wait for it than if you order it at the cart outside. I've seen the line for butterbeer as long as an attraction line!

Excellent, excellent advice. We've done it this way both times.

So yes, we've eaten at Three Broomsticks twice and both times big thumbs up. I actually got the same meal each time - chicken, corn on the cob and potatoes (below). So good! My sons have had the ribs and the fish and chips and liked both. It's not your typical theme park fare.

I like that you enter the restaurant, wait in the line (if there is one), a greeter guides you to a register, you order then go to the corresponding pick up window to get your food, and then you are seated by another greeter. It's very smooth, even when crowded.

Highly recommended and I totally think you should eat there! :D

buzznwoodysmom
06-05-2011, 09:47 AM
The picture Mel posted was much like our meal, except ours also had ribs. It may have been a combo special, but it was a lot of food, easy to share between two people, and very, very tasty!

DisneyFr33k
06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
And try the HogsHead special brew - it it's own souviener mug. Yum! :beer:

Mfarquar
06-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Beware if they're still doing a breakfast/brunch. We walked in with no wait one morning last September. Forbidden Journey had broken down during the early access time and we decided to get something to eat. Despite asking many questions of the man at the door with a clipboard and other workers outside the restaurant, no one told us we would be paying almost double the price for breakfast because we did not have reservations.

There were no prices posted anywhere, and we quickly learned that it didn't matter what you ordered, it was a flat rate to choose 1 breakfast option. My husband had oatmeal, fruit and croissant. I had a croissant, eggs and homefries. It was counter service. It came to over $40.

The people next to use told us that they paid MUCH less. We only went it because it was the only breakfast option (the rest of the park was closed because it was early morning option) and Forbidden Journey was broken down for the next 2 hours.

Go for lunch to be on the safe side! :)

magicalmom
06-21-2011, 10:37 PM
We went into the Three Broomsticks for late dinner, (maybe 7:45 or 8?) and had almost no wait. This was last August, when the whole thing was brand new.

BigRedDad
06-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Lines were not long last week but we did not eat there. Looking at what they served was almost identical to the restaurant in Jurassic Park. It looks like the only difference is the atmosphere.

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2011, 11:12 AM
I thought Three Broomsticks did not take advanced reservations??? I called and was told no reservations are taken for Three Broomsticks... Mfarquar says to make sure you have reservations because price is cheaper??? And a friend of mine said to call ahead for reservations too...

Why does Universal tell me they do not take reservations or priority seating for Three Broomsticks when that seems to not be the case???

MizMissy
06-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I thought Three Broomsticks did not take advanced reservations??? I called and was told no reservations are taken for Three Broomsticks... Mfarquar says to make sure you have reservations because price is cheaper??? And a friend of mine said to call ahead for reservations too...

Why does Universal tell me they do not take reservations or priority seating for Three Broomsticks when that seems to not be the case???

We did not eat at Three Broomsticks, but I think it is counter service for lunch and dinner. Breakfast may be more of a "package deal" that is included with ticket purchases or on-site room reservations (I seem to recall a special that included breakfast at Three Broomsticks). Maybe the people next to Mfarquar paid less because it was part of their package deal?? Still, it's very strange how they would accept walk-ins but have no prices posted anywhere for the breakfast. Definitely seems like something to be wary of if trying to dine for breakfast.

NJGIRL
06-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Here is the confusion. The Three Broomsticks do not take reservations for lunch or dinner. The price for these meals are the same for everyone. For breakfast you must have a reservation, they do not take walk in's. The price for breakfast is the same for everyone. Some packages include a "free" breakfast at the Three Broomsticks.

I am at a loss for what happened to Mfarquar, because I have been told several times that you can't just walk in for breakfast. I have also been told that breakfast is a buffet. I just called now and was told the same thing again. ????

DizneyFreak2002
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Here is the confusion. The Three Broomsticks do not takre reservations for lunch or dinner. The price for these meals are the same for everyone. For breakfast you must have a reservation, they do not take walk in's. The price for breakfast is the same for everyone. Some packages include a "free" breakfast at the Three Broomsticks.

I am at a loss for what happened to Mfarquar, because I have been told several times that you can't just walk in for breakfast. I have also been told that breakfast is a buffet. I just called now and was told the same thing again. ????

I thought so... I am under the same impression, that you cannot just walk in for breakfast, but I guess if the packages aren't sold out, and there is room available, they will seat you... You'll just pay full price which, in this case, looks very expensive...

I plan on eating lunch there in October... Can't wait!!!

NJGIRL
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I plan on eating lunch there in October... Can't wait!!!

We didn't eat there when we went but everyone I have spoken to has said the food is very good.

Mfarquar
06-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Exactly! They checked a reservation list and encouragingly told us they had room for us - they're accepting walk-ins - we're lucky. They just didn't tell us we'd pay so much for it! haha

The breakfast was good, but nothing special. Maybe it would have tasted better if we didn't feel like we got scammed. Or maybe it was because we had just returned from Ireland/Northern Island where we had proper UK/Irish breakfasts that made it impossible for Three Broomsticks to live up to. As of September 2010, it was not a buffet.

We ate lunch there one day too (before the scam). It was pretty good, especially for Universal standards.

NJGIRL
06-23-2011, 05:59 AM
What did you pay for the breakfast? And if it is a set price but not a all you can eat what is it? The people I have spoken to have always told me it was all you can eat. :confused:

I am not surprised we are talking about this because as far as their dining policies IMO they have none or at least any that are the same from day to day or from phone call to phone call.

I have to disagree with you about Universal food. I think their sit down restaurants are very good and their quick service are about the same as Disney. They even have a few really good sandwich shops. They don't have as many sit down options as Disney, but I wonder if that is because City Walk is right there and they have plenty. Their reservation system is still bad, but I it has improved a little in the last couple of years.

Mfarquar
06-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Back in late Sept. 2010, we paid something like $38.99 (I may be under by a dollar) for both of us for breakfast. We saved the receipt as it has become a running joke with us, I should look for it! There were about 6 or 7 different package meals to choose from, with an English flair. Maybe because we did not have reservations, we were not permitted to go back up to the counter if it is all you can eat? All our food was itemized on the bill, but upon asking, we were told everything is the same price. We didn't see anyone going back up. It ran just like it does at lunch time, you got up and order at the counter, and then pick up at the window. Then, a Three Broomsticks worker seated your party. I am not sure if it has changed since then.

I agree with you that not all Universal food is bad. In fact, I do like their sit down restaurants. We go to Finnegan's at the Studios at least 2 times a trip. We have also had great meals at Jimmy Buffet's and Bob Marley. Our dinner last September at the Latin Quarter was FANTASTIC (with great live music and a wonderful server). On par with Disney's signature and much less expensive! Emeril's left more to be desired, in my option, but the service was exceptional.

I meant more counter-service - I think it can be dicey sometimes. Personally, I think you need to know where to go. Some places are very good (Blondie's, Beverly Hills Boulangerie, Nathan's, Three Broomsticks lunch/dinner). The city walk quick service like PastaMore for breakfast has always been very good, especially for the price. BUT, we have had wretched meals at places like Richter's, International Film Festival and Luigi's. We even gave Luigi's a second shot last year during Halloween Horror nights, but were disappointed again.

I have found that over the years for special events like Halloween Horror Nights, they are bringing in kiosks with GREAT quick service food - feel more upscale overall (even the chicken fingers were better than some counter service - probably because they were nice and hot), which we've enjoyed.

The same is true for Disney, but I find the hunt to be a little harder at Universal. I've never not been able to finish a counter service meal at Disney. I can't say the same for Universal and I am not a food snob. Maybe we've just had some unlucky encounters. I WILL say that their food has much improved over the years.

We have our favorite counter service restaurants at Universal and happily stick with them! Just my opinion! :)

NJGIRL
06-24-2011, 09:10 AM
We go to Finnegan's at the Studios at least 2 times a trip. We have also had great meals at Jimmy Buffet's and Bob Marley. Our dinner last September at the Latin Quarter was FANTASTIC (with great live music and a wonderful server). On par with Disney's signature and much less expensive!
Some places are very good (Blondie's, Beverly Hills Boulangerie, Nathan's, Three Broomsticks lunch/dinner). The city walk quick service like PastaMore for breakfast has always been very good, especially for the price. BUT, we have had wretched meals at places like Richter's, International Film Festival and Luigi's. We even gave Luigi's a second shot last year during Halloween Horror nights, but were disappointed again. :)

We also like Finnegans, Margaritaville and especially Pastamore table service for lunch or dinner.

We discovered Blondie's on our last trip and will be back there again and have always loved Hollywood Boulangerie. Mel's was pretty good too.

As far as the places you listed as not liking I think we went to Luigi's a long time ago and didn't care for it either. The other places we haven't tried because we like our favorites too much to stray from them.

I'm glad to hear that you liked the Latin Quarter because we are trying it for the first time this coming October.

Mfarquar
06-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Good to know about Mel's - we've never tried it there. We'll definitely have to give it a whirl in September!

Yes, Latin Quarter was VERY good. I did hear their switching their menu to more of a Brazilian Churrascaria (meats on skewers brought from table to table) soon. I'm sure it will be great since we found the quality to be very high the last time. Enjoy!

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 01:16 AM
My friend wants to get a burger from Richters when we head on down in October. One friend of mine said Richters burgers are very greasy. I have eaten at Mel's before and found them to be greasy too. Are Mel's burgers still greasy? It's been a few years since I ate there.

Mfarquar
06-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I can't speak for Mel's, but I suggest Finnegan's for burgers. It's a sit down, but the prices are very reasonable and they are pretty quick if you want them to be.

Beware of Richters! :)

Finnegan's is also great for Halloween Horror Nights. It is part of the holding area of "Stay and Scream". So, in years past, if you're already in Universal Studios, you can eat there while the park is closed to setup for Halloween Horror Nights. When you're finished eating, it will probably almost be time for HHN to open and you can be the first ones through at least 2 of the houses.

Not sure if you're going to HHN, but since you mentioned October, I thought you might be interested in this burger joint tidbit :)

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
We plan on HHN.... Where is Finnegans??? Our plans are to hit Universal during the day, eat at Margarettaville and then back to Uni for HHN...

Mfarquar
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Finnegan's is in the New York area of the park (right across the street from The Mummy Ride).

If you don't have a fast pass or multiple nights to visit, using the Stay and Scream area can be VERY helpful. Most people don't know about it. It has been in the same location for the past 3 years, which is an alley in New York, in which Finnegan's entrance is on. You can either wait in this alley/side street or go into Finnegan's.

Basically, Universal lets the Stay and Scream people loose about 10 minutes earlier than people at the gate. So, if you go to the first 2 main houses (follow the crowd) you'll be the first through and can stay ahead of the crowd for at least another 2 - 3 houses. Also, Stay and Scream people get a jump on the outside lines because they don't have to content with people who didn't have passes during the day and the metal detector line.

Margaritaville is REALLY yummy, but there is something to be said for getting some of the houses done without a line (also leaves more time scarezones and for shows like Bill and Ted).

Maybe Margaritaville for lunch and then Finnegan's for dinner?

From a restaurant standpoint, I don't think you can go wrong with either :)

NJGIRL
06-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Margaritaville is REALLY yummy, but there is something to be said for getting some of the houses done without a line (also leaves more time scarezones and for shows like Bill and Ted).
:)

I totally agree with this. You could wait hours in line for the houses once everyone gets in. IMO it's not like the Disney party were lines of the rides are short for the most part. It is very very crowded.

BTW you are going to love the party. It's very scary and very well done. This tops any other party we have ever gone to in a amusement park, and we have been to several others.

Mfarquar
06-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Totally agree with NJGirl. The Universal rides that are open (usually Mummy, Men In Black, Simpsons, etc.) will have very short lines.

The houses, as NJGirl said, will eventually have very long lines. If you don't stay in the park before the event opens and/or get an Express Pass, I would work the park counter clockwise to avoid the crowds. Usually the ones closest to the entrance are a little less crowded at the end of the night.