PDA

View Full Version : Poor MIL has to have her appendix out 4 days before we leave :(

AmandaChan
06-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Well we have been so excited about our trip and low and behold our poor MIL has to have her appendix out tonight. Thank the lord that it hasn't ruptured or doesn't seem to be complicated but DH and I have been dreaming of taking her with her grandchildren and our entire family for almost 6 years now. We are so sad and it sounds so selfish to even be sad about Disney but we really wanted her to go and enjoy herself. Even if we do go we won't enjoy it like we would have with her. We would like to reschedule but difficulty with getting time off is a factor for both my BIL and his fiance and kids.. this really stinks :(

The plan so far is to just go without her but we are so sad! She says she's still going if she can help it... we've been making jokes about how we might have to push her around in a wheelchair.

wildernesslady
06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Sorry that stinks. Hopefully everything goes well for her. Either way, I'm sure you will enjoy yourselves.

DVC2004
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Oh no! Well, see how she is and what her doctor thinks. She might not have too much fun if she is still in pain. That's sad! Hopefully you guys will still go and then get to go back another time with her. Thankfully this happened at home and it was caught before it got too serious. :(

BrerGnat
06-02-2011, 06:50 PM
She might be okay to go! DH had his appendix out (it was almost to the point of rupture) the day before we had to move him from Oklahoma to California. I flew in the DAY he had his surgery. Two days later, we were on the road driving to CA. He couldn't drive for a few days, while he was on pain meds, but he was doing great at the 4 day post op point. He just couldn't do any heavy lifting and had to rest as much as possible.

I think, if there are no complications, she should be able to go. Plan to rent a wheelchair for the times in the parks, or a scooter. I'm sure she can still have a great time with you, she just might need more rest.

I hope everything goes well and she is able to join you guys! Definitely don't cancel. This kind of stuff happens; WDW isn't going anywhere, and if not this time, she can join you next time around.

faline
06-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Hope all goes well - perhaps she'll still be able to go?

hel5165
06-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Our grandson and family were in WDW and while there he had to have his appendix out. Had the surgery on Sunday and Monday he was back in the parks. Hope this this is encouraging.

Itchy
06-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I had emergency gall bladder surgery few years ago on Easter Sunday.. ( The surgeon love me ) by laproscopic surgery.

I was out of the hospital on Monday and driving by Wednesday. I could not work for 2 weeks or lift anything heavy ( 25 lbs or over ) but had pretty normal activities otherwise.

I would think she should be fine. Just to be safe you may want to rent a ECV for her to save walking and her strength. We used Apple Scooter this last trip and they were great.

Hope you have a great trip. Hope this helps.:mickey:

AmandaChan
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone! this really is encouraging... She's been out of surgery for a couple hours now and they did a laparascopic appe and she's doing good.. she's in a bit of pain right now but other than that she's fine. She is hell bent on going, though. She is the healthiest woman in her 50's I know (she teaches yoga) and I know she'll recover quickly. I asked the surgeon if she could go to Florida Monday and he said that should probably be fine as long as there are no changes. He said she mentioned it a couple times before the surgery started. It is ironic and amazing how things work out sometimes... at this point she will probably be discharged in the morning and as far as we know we are taking her with us! We'll definitely need to rent a scooter or a wheelchair though...

honestly I feel like it gives us an excuse to take it extra easy! :mickey:

AmandaChan
06-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Our grandson and family were in WDW and while there he had to have his appendix out. Had the surgery on Sunday and Monday he was back in the parks. Hope this this is encouraging.

hah! geez, that's determination.. she will most likely be discharged tomorrow..

Fastpasssteve
06-03-2011, 01:43 AM
I went down to WDW with my East Coast Mom last October. She had rented a scooter. We had a great time...and I had to struggle to keep up with her scooter! She loved it and zipped around like crazy. I hope all turns out just fine. From what you said, you just need to monitor her for post-operative infection and make sure she gets some serious rest the next few days. Take the pain pills! They will keep her asleep and allow her body to truly regenerate.

Try to ease some of the burdens on her mind. Offer to do her laundry and pack for her. Tell her that whatever she needs down there, you can buy!

magicalmom
06-03-2011, 11:55 PM
If she's on pain meds, she won't be able to Drink Around the World Showcase - gosh, you'll have to take care of that for her . . .:thumbsup:

DisneyFr33k
06-05-2011, 06:27 AM
If she's on pain meds, she won't be able to Drink Around the World Showcase - gosh, you'll have to take care of that for her . . .:thumbsup:

The sacrifices we make.... but hey, that is what family is for! :marg::beer::wine: