PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Come Clean: I Like Stitch

darthmacho
06-02-2011, 03:06 PM
:stitch2: There, I said it. While I do miss Alien Encounter, and I understand why people feel Stitch has been over-exposed, I have to admit that I really like Stitch's Great Escape, and hope it has a good long run. While the story isn't too creative, the attraction manages to work for me. I like the characters involved, including Stitch, Pleakly, and Gantu. I was glad to see the pre-show characters, particularly Skippy, managed to stay, though the AE pre-show was more special.
The Stitch animatronic is amazing, and even though the spitting and burping are a little gross, I think the gags work. I also find Gantu to be hilarious, especially when he says, "Flori-duh."
My kids got a huge kick out of Stitch saying "Cinderella, your prince is here!", which is why I appreciate that joke now.
We liked the attraction so much, we decided to see it twice that trip, one more than we did Buzz, and I think that says something, don't you?

Anyway, glad to get that off my chest.

Any other Stitch advocates out there?

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I actually like it too...not my favorite by far but I don't really get the near hostility this attraction seems to bring out in a lot of people...yes Alien was better but still....

Goofeygal
06-02-2011, 03:57 PM
I really enjoy stitch. I have to do it everytime I am there. Glad to hear someone else likes it.

disneymom15
06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Sorry, once was enough for me. If I could have, I would have walked out early.

ChipNDale79
06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry, i couldnt handle it. This is the only thing at Disney that I felt like if i could get my time back, then i would have asked disney for it back.

IMO, hands down the worst attraction in WDW history.

DizneyRox
06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I have to admit that I really like Stitch's Great Escape, and hope it has a good long run.

Reminds me of another quote:

So you're the one?

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry, i couldnt handle it. This is the only thing at Disney that I felt like if i could get my time back, then i would have asked disney for it back.

Actually, I think Sounds Dangerous takes that honor. But clearly, we all have our favorites and our least favorites. Stitch has a cute preshow. I wish it ended with that, and I have no need to return, but I can see that kids of a certain age (and some grown-ups) might like it.

MrPeetrie
06-02-2011, 08:21 PM
I have not yet seen Stitch's Great Escape, although I was a big fan of AE. I was sorry to see it replaced. Going back this fall, DD8 wants to ride it. I guess I'll have an opinion by October's end (but I doubt I'll enjoy it as much as AE).

Disdude
06-02-2011, 11:21 PM
It's okay. I am hoping my daughter can eek out the 40" required to go on later this month. She has been wearing out the Lilo & Stitch DVD and I think she will enjoy it.

WDWfanatic742
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Traitor! Traitor! Back into hiding for you :banned:

:D

Dsnygirl
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM
:hide: I'm another one... :blush:

I think I like it just because I adore Stitch... :stitch2: ... even though my view of him is more the picture of him looking at the Ugly Ducklings book and being sweet, rather than the crazy monster he still is in the ride.

But it still works for me, and we go every trip... my kids love the gross chili burp and when it goes dark... cracks them up every time! (and they're 9 & 12 yr old girls!! :yes:)

So, we're right there with you... :D

Dragongirlx
06-03-2011, 03:36 AM
I have to say that I love it too.
I especially like the bit where he ruffles your hair and says will you be my friend.
My sister and I are always quoting bits of the dialogue to each other.
:stitch2:

brownie
06-03-2011, 07:29 AM
I never experienced Extraterrorestrial Alien Encounter. We did enjoy Stitch's Great Escape after experiencing it for the first time last year. Maybe if we had experienced Alien Encounter I'd have a different reaction.

Dulcee
06-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Personally I'm not a fan...

My fiance on the other hand loves it.

Jeniflower
06-03-2011, 07:46 AM
i've got to say the first time i went on it didn't like it, especially the chilli burp, but i tried again and now i love it.

and i've been banned from the movies cause they make me cry

:stitch2:

Stu29573
06-03-2011, 08:29 AM
My wife and I saw it for the first time two years ago. We were not impressed. Actually the quote from my wife as we were exiting was "What was that?" We didn't go back on our latest trip.

One picky point. They got his name wrong. If this is supposed to be before he meets Lilo, then he should be Experiment 626. Lilo named him Stitch.... For some reason that bugs the heck out of me.

darthmacho
06-03-2011, 08:40 AM
One picky point. They got his name wrong. If this is supposed to be before he meets Lilo, then he should be Experiment 626. Lilo named him Stitch.... For some reason that bugs the heck out of me.

Interesting point. However, do they call him Stitch anywhere in the attraction other than the billboard name? If they do, that's a definite mistake, but if it would probably have been an awkward name for the attraction to call it "Experiment 626's Great Escape", so I can see why they'd go with Stitch there, since it's catchier.

azcavalier
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
:hide: I'm another one... :blush:

I think I like it just because I adore Stitch... :stitch2: ... even though my view of him is more the picture of him looking at the Ugly Ducklings book and being sweet, rather than the crazy monster he still is in the ride.

But it still works for me, and we go every trip... my kids love the gross chili burp and when it goes dark... cracks them up every time! (and they're 9 & 12 yr old girls!! :yes:)

So, we're right there with you... :D

I love Stitch. I collect Stitch pins. I have the animated cel of that very scene (reading the Ugly Duckling, with ducklings looking at it with him) in my bedroom at home. My DW bought me a Jim Shore Stitch figure for Christmas.

All that said, it's obvious that I like Stitch's Great Escape. I, too, think that the Audio-Animatronics are amazing....some of the best that Disney has ever done, actually.

I don't care for the chili dog burp, but I just hold my breath and blow it away. Never smell it. Don't know why no one else does this.

Stu29573
06-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Interesting point. However, do they call him Stitch anywhere in the attraction other than the billboard name? If they do, that's a definite mistake, but if it would probably have been an awkward name for the attraction to call it "Experiment 626's Great Escape", so I can see why they'd go with Stitch there, since it's catchier.

Yep, they do a couple of times. In fact he refers to himself as "Stitch." (i.e "Not impossible for Stitch!")
Of course they didn't actually have to use his name in the attraction name. They could have called it something else, but still put his picture on it or something... I don't know, it just seems like a pretty elementary slip up.

White Rose
06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm not a die hard fan of the ride, but I did find it really cute. I DEFINITELY prefer the idea of it to Alien Encounter. I never did go on AE just because I know it would've absolutely terrified me (I don't do well on the sorts of rides).

Even though my first time on Stitch's Great Escape was this past January, I read enough about the ride to know what to avoid. A good comparison would be my reaction to "It's Tough to Be a Bug." I learn all the parts to completely avoid. :blush: During ITBEA, I lean forward, close my eyes and put my feet up to avoid everything I don't like!

Stitch was a bit better for me, but as I went in, I did make sure the study the seat to figure out when certain events would occur. I also had read enough to know to hold my breath during the chili dog scene and when to move my head with the spit.

All in all, I find it really cute and FAR more tolerable then It's Tough to Be a Bug!

Jim&AngieMarriner
06-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Almost agree but I think Sounds Dangerous takes this award. LAME.

But Stich deffinately is a close second.

dizneydeb22
06-03-2011, 03:42 PM
It's not my favorite and I don't see it every trip, but every once and a while I'll give it another try.

KatrinaJ91
06-04-2011, 09:27 PM
We enjoy it too! So many people say they hate it, but they don't say why....it's funny, gross and everything that kids love! We go everytime!

jhuard89
06-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I think Stitch has a lot of personality, which makes him a very fun character. He is mischievous, yet caring. That being said, I think he is represented very well in the ride. While it may not appeal to everyone, I think the attraction stays true to the movie.

Goofster
06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
I think it's a good ride and more family-oriented than AE. AE was a blast and blew me away the first time I rode it back in 1996, but small kids were always screaming or crying if their parents accidentally took them on it. I rode Stitch in 2007 for the first time and was a little disappointed when comparing it with AE.

Fast forward to 2011 (my most recent trip), my DD7, DS6 and DS4 all loved the ride and couldn't stop talking about it...which made me enjoy it more and like it more because of that memory and seeing their enjoyment of it.

In sum, it's not AE, but at least I can take my kids on it without them being terrified!

darthmacho
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
I think it's a good ride and more family-oriented than AE. AE was a blast and blew me away the first time I rode it back in 1996, but small kids were always screaming or crying if their parents accidentally took them on it. I rode Stitch in 2007 for the first time and was a little disappointed when comparing it with AE.

Fast forward to 2011 (my most recent trip), my DD7, DS6 and DS4 all loved the ride and couldn't stop talking about it...which made me enjoy it more and like it more because of that memory and seeing their enjoyment of it.

In sum, it's not AE, but at least I can take my kids on it without them being terrified!

I agree with all of what you have said. I think it is important that kids probably like this attraction. I think I was more willing to accept the loss of AE when I realized SGE would be an attraction I could enjoy with my two little girls, who really got a kick out of the new version.

Disney-4-Me
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Stitch was an acquired taste for me. I like it now...;)

BandMan
06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Stitch was an acquired taste for me.

A taste which I will never aquire. :humph:

andreallybadeggs
06-10-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm sure you have some redeeming qualities which help compensate for this problem and I will pray for you. ;):D

TheVBs
06-11-2011, 09:31 AM
DH and our oldest DD went on it last trip. DD loved it! DH said it was cute. I didn't get a chance to try it because we thought it might be too intense for our youngest DD. I'm hoping she might be interested in trying it this year, but if not, I'll go with the oldest DD so I can check it out for myself. I loved AE, but I don't feel any need to compare the two, I'll just evaluate the attraction for what it is. I'm expecting to think it's cute and to be happy to have done it at least once. We'll see!

flipadeeflop
06-11-2011, 10:04 AM
The first (and only) time I went on Alien Encounter I was 8 years old. I FREAKED OUT and my eyes were closed most of the time. I thought Stitch would be better especially since I was 18 this time, but I still freaked out almost just as much and SCREAMED at the last surprise (don't want to give away a spoiler, but you know what I mean if you were on it!) I DID keep my eyes open this time, though!!!!! I feel like my reaction on both rides embodied exactly what the imagineers wanted people to experience!!! I definitely had an experience to remember on both versions of the ride!

i'm grumpy
06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I like it. Never cared for AE. :sleepin:

Laughin' place
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Ill join the support group
I like Stitch and the movie, a lot.
I really enjoyed AE, and Im disappointed one of my boys never got the chance to experience it.
Nonetheless, I think the Stitch ride is entertaining, fun, a good people eater,and provides variety. I think most of those who dislike the ride dislike the lil trog himself.
Id like to see a poll or thread that determines of those who like or dislike SGE the ride, who likes or dislikes Stitch....:confused: