PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Job

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Well, I just lost my job... What should I do now??? Look for another job??? Kick back and enjoy the summer??? Maybe sit on Intercot and get my daily dose of Disney???

DVC2004
06-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Wow, I am really sorry! I lost my job a few years ago quite unexpectedly...I started looking right away an accepted a job I didn't like and didn't end up staying at. I was sorry I moved too fast there, but I was freaked out and didn't know what to do. My advice to you- take a little time to regroup then start looking. I am assumming of course you'll have unemployment. So, If you are able to do that.
Sorry again. I know it's a lousy thing and I wish you all the best with your future.

Were you in a specialized field where you might be able to find a similar job elsewhere?

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I've been laid off 3 times since 2001... I am an expert at this now LOL...

I worked in the ever condensing, ever crooked financial industry... Just one of the have nots doing the bidding of the haves...

sassafras
06-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I feel for you. I worked in the financial industry since 1992 and left a job I loved and had been at since 1992 when my hubby took a job out of state. Finally got a job (outside of the "good ol' boy" network). Last Oct. I got "laid off" due to "the shape of the financial industry", meaning "you won't be called back". Luckily, they paid me severance pay, and vacation pay, and I still could collect unemployment. Been looking for a new position, but nothing has turned up. If I were you I would take my time, collect my unemployment and try to find a job you will really like!

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks sass... I'm beyond aggrivated... I do my job... I don't cause trouble... I may not agree with management all the time, but who does??? Yes, mistakes happen, we are only human... I'm beyond trying to be a good employee anymore.... it really doesn't pay... You got to be a piece of garbage individual now-a-days....

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Really sorry. Maybe it's time to move to WDW and work on your favorite attraction. Best wishes with bouncing back.

princessgirls
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
So sorry about your job. Oh that is awful news.

May new doors open up to you.

These are such hard times.

Hang in there.

Julie:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Really sorry. Maybe it's time to move to WDW and work on your favorite attraction. Best wishes with bouncing back.

First thing that crossed my mind LOL... BTW, did those tornadoes hit your area in Mass???? Hope not!!!

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
First thing that crossed my mind LOL... BTW, did those tornadoes hit your area in Mass???? Hope not!!!

Thanks for asking. They hit about five minutes from my house and in the surrounding areas, but we are fine, no damage. It was pretty scary, and that kind of thing is so rare around here. My daughter's high school graduation was supposed to be tonight, but has been postponed. That's really nothing, though. My thoughts and prayers are with the people in my area who lost loved ones (four dead), sustained injuries, or suffered property damage-- and I hope that's no one here.

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks for asking. They hit about five minutes from my house and in the surrounding areas, but we are fine, no damage. It was pretty scary, and that kind of thing is so rare around here. My daughter's high school graduation was supposed to be tonight, but has been postponed. That's really nothing, though. My thoughts and prayers are with the people in my area who lost loved ones (four dead), sustained injuries, or suffered property damage-- and I hope that's no one here.

I know I'm complaining about losing my job, but in the grand scheme of life, things could be worse... I feel bad for the people in Joplin... And for the people now in Mass... Believe me, I'm thankful I have my health and my family and my friends... Just, sometimes, we forget about things others go through in their life... We get fixated on ourselves, not thinking about those around us who are less fortunate...

I know I will be fine, and I also know others won't be... I guess my post was more to help cheer me up than to sound like I am a whiner...

And with that, thank you all... I am feeling better...

SandmanGStefani24
06-02-2011, 06:14 PM
i think its funny that you came here afterwards. mostly because I did the same thing when it happened to me!

it was nice to come to a place (if even a digital one) where you can forget about almost anything and talk. glad it is helping you the way it helped me back then.

it all evens out in the end, so all this means is next trip to WDW is gonna be even better than expected!:beer:

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 06:48 PM
i think its funny that you came here afterwards. mostly because I did the same thing when it happened to me!

it was nice to come to a place (if even a digital one) where you can forget about almost anything and talk. glad it is helping you the way it helped me back then.

it all evens out in the end, so all this means is next trip to WDW is gonna be even better than expected!:beer:

Coming here is like an escape from real life... Plus, I been here long enough to know the people on this board are really awesome and kind and caring and friendy... I felt I could come here, vent, and the great members of Intercot would somehow say the right things and make me feel better... SBETigg posting here made me think about those horrible storms in Massachuttes last night and helped put things in perspective for me...

Again, I know I am fortunate enough not to be in a horrible position right now, other than being unemployed... I'm still seething though over the excuses I was given...

badkitty
06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
We're here for you. Sorry about the job. The excuses mgmt give are like rubbing salt in the wound. I hope something opens up for you soon.

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
We're here for you. Sorry about the job. The excuses mgmt give are like rubbing salt in the wound. I hope something opens up for you soon.

You're telling me... I'm an under performer... I wasn't living up to the business performance standards... blah blah blah... If I spill the beans here about what really goes on in that group, you would all be shocked... Well, maybe not...

SBETigg
06-02-2011, 08:11 PM
We're here to support. Yes, there are worse things, but losing a job is definitely a good time to have friends and be able to vent. You have our complete understanding.

CanadianWDWFan
06-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Sorry about your job, I know what you are going through. After being with the same company right out of University, I lost my job in May 2009 after 18 years. I was shocked but I did have the best summer of my adult life. I did look for jobs over the summer but I really didn't start seriously looking until about October. I changed career fields completely and found a job that I can retire with. When one door closes another always opens.

As for Disney, we went on our annual trip that summer since it was already paid for. It was a bit subdued but really necessary for my and my wife's sanity.

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Sorry about your job, I know what you are going through. After being with the same company right out of University, I lost my job in May 2009 after 18 years. I was shocked but I did have the best summer of my adult life. I did look for jobs over the summer but I really didn't start seriously looking until about October. I changed career fields completely and found a job that I can retire with. When one door closes another always opens.

As for Disney, we went on our annual trip that summer since it was already paid for. It was a bit subdued but really necessary for my and my wife's sanity.

I won't let the lay off drive me insane... won't happen... I'll do a lot of writing while looking for a new job, preferrably a new career, even look into opening my own business, maybe... I'm scheduled to go to Disney in October, and I'm holding true to that...

Funny thing is, this was almost 3 years to the day when I was laid off from my previous job... I'm just afraid of looking unemployable now...

Dsnygirl
06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
So sorry to hear about your job!! But, from what you've gotten/heard from management, maybe it'll end up being a blessing in disguise.

Sending you pixie dust for your job hunt and potential career change... and I'm glad to hear you can keep to your October trip, that always helps.

It sounds like even through the frustrations you've got a really good attitude about it, even if you're not so happy w/ how the whole thing was handled... I hope some new doors open up for you!

DizneyFreak2002
06-02-2011, 09:32 PM
So sorry to hear about your job!! But, from what you've gotten/heard from management, maybe it'll end up being a blessing in disguise.

Sending you pixie dust for your job hunt and potential career change... and I'm glad to hear you can keep to your October trip, that always helps.

It sounds like even through the frustrations you've got a really good attitude about it, even if you're not so happy w/ how the whole thing was handled... I hope some new doors open up for you!

I had a funny feeling it was coming... I'll make a post tomorrow detailing the trivial nonsense that went on, and once you all read it, you will all agree with me...

I'm looking at this like it is a blessing in disguise... and yes, one door closes another opens...

I'm not upset I lost my job... I'm really not... I'm just disappointed how it all went down... I'm disgusted how they tried to make me look incompetent... And I'm sick to my stomach that the manager can have an unprofessional relationship (read into that as you will) with one of his underlings, and yet nothing is said or done about it... And if HR didn't know about it before, they sure do know about it now... :)

TheVBs
06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks sass... I'm beyond aggrivated... I do my job... I don't cause trouble... I may not agree with management all the time, but who does??? Yes, mistakes happen, we are only human... I'm beyond trying to be a good employee anymore.... it really doesn't pay... You got to be a piece of garbage individual now-a-days....

When companies do these things there's no point in looking for any logic behind it. DH's company went through several layoff sessions and through each one he couldn't believe the people they let go and the people they kept. So it's not a reflection on you as an employee! So sorry you're dealing with this. I hope you find something great.

Mickey'sGirl
06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Sorry about your situation! I wish you all the best in finding something fabulous!

dnickels
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll make a post tomorrow detailing the trivial nonsense that went on, and once you all read it, you will all agree with me...
...And if HR didn't know about it before, they sure do know about it now... :)

Just be careful with doing things like this. It's one thing to leave on bad terms, it's another to take the ship down with you and memorialize it on the internet. I doubt a future employer would equate "Joe Smith" with "DisneyFreak2002" but you never know, and even if you didn't like the manager, they may come in handy for a recommendation or job lead years down the road. Burning bridges and all that. :twocents:

Best of luck finding something that suits you. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
When companies do these things there's no point in looking for any logic behind it. DH's company went through several layoff sessions and through each one he couldn't believe the people they let go and the people they kept. So it's not a reflection on you as an employee! So sorry you're dealing with this. I hope you find something great.

Thanks VB... I went through my first lay off in 2001, right after 9-11 happened... The company decided to shut down my department, moving operations to North Carolina... The problem was, they didn't lay off everyone in my department... They kept more than half... And the half they kept shocked me... They let go all the hard workers who dedicated themselves to the job in favor of a girl who did nothing but sit on Victoria's Sectret website, a guy who was marrying a manager's niece, and two supervisors..

What made yesterday even funnier, saying my piece, in front of HR, letting them know what exactly goes on up on the floor, my former manager had the gall to say I hurt his feelings... HAHAHAHAH, well, too bad is how felt...

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Just be careful with doing things like this. It's one thing to leave on bad terms, it's another to take the ship down with you and memorialize it on the internet. I doubt a future employer would equate "Joe Smith" with "DisneyFreak2002" but you never know, and even if you didn't like the manager, they may come in handy for a recommendation or job lead years down the road. Burning bridges and all that. :twocents:

Best of luck finding something that suits you. :mickey:

You are right... Not that I think people would know I post here and what not, but, yea, I guess you never know... I'll use better judgment and not post anything... :)

micky95
06-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry about your job.there is no reason for the way some companies lay off workers.my son was recently laid off as a welder. he had more certifications than the supervisor.the one guy they kept had none. i've worked for companies that promoted idiots above hard workers. one lady who was constantly late ,caught goofing off on several occasions was promoted.i worked for a bakery as a deliveryman and was fired because my new boss didnt like me .i'd been with the co. for 3 years ,no write ups but when i was transfered into his district i was written up at least once a week until he fired me.heres the real kicker he called me CHRISTMAS DAY to fire me.i appealed & was kept on payroll for 3 weeks . upper management said they couldnt undermine his authority.2 months later they hired me back in a different position with the promise of getting my old job back. more lies so i quit. i worked for a security co. installing alarm systems. customers were constantly lied to by sales & i was getting the flack.my wife told me to quit and take my part time sign business full time .i did and have been self employed since dec. 98.if there is something you enjoy as a hobby you might can make it your new job or look into other business opportinuity. best of luck:thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
06-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I know this is late but I'm sorry to hear about your layoff. Even when you expect it is coming it's not easy to deal with.

When I lost my job in 2008, I posted about it on Intercot. The support I got here gave the encouragement to jump into my job search right away.

RAIDER
06-06-2011, 03:25 AM
Sorry to hear its happened ...
My take on it, when things like this happen is.. always say to your yourself this time next year i will look back and be laughing at this ....Your a smart person i am sure you will get a job soon :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
I know this is late but I'm sorry to hear about your layoff. Even when you expect it is coming it's not easy to deal with.

When I lost my job in 2008, I posted about it on Intercot. The support I got here gave the encouragement to jump into my job search right away.

I have been through it 2 times before... This makes number 3... I'm beginning to feel unemployable LOL...

I also think I came here and posted when I lost my job 3 years ago... And the members were great then as well!!!

Sorry to hear its happened ...
My take on it, when things like this happen is.. always say to your yourself this time next year i will look back and be laughing at this ....Your a smart person i am sure you will get a job soon :thumbsup:

I actually am laughing at it now... Just the whole way things went down from the beginning of this year to last week... Script writers couldn't come up with anything more obvious in a movie script for picking a sacrificial lamb...

The one thing that bothers me the most, and no it isn't not having a job to go to as millions of others are in the same boat i am right now... the thing that bothers me the most is, I am six classes away from obtaining my MBA and now I have to postpone my courses until I can figure out my next steps and chart my course of action...

But hey, that's life right??? Things could be a whole lot worse for me than they are right now... I keep reminding myself that and it keeps me from getting down about the situation...

Cinderelley
06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I believe things happen for a reason, and we can all learn from those situations - even if it is to never give lame excuses to employees you may be in a position to have to lay off later on in life.

HollyB
06-26-2011, 12:57 PM
the thing that bothers me the most is, I am six classes away from obtaining my MBA and now I have to postpone my courses until I can figure out my next steps and chart my course of action...

Maybe this is a chance to go to school full time and just get those classes done and get your MBA. In change there is opportunity.

Hope it works out for you.