PDA

View Full Version : NYC Disney Store "Report"

lettripp
06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I know many of you visited it during the Intercot "meet" recently, but I wanted to share my experience at the Disney Store in TImes Square today. It is the second time I've been in since it opened... the first time, however, there was a construction wall up and many of the cool features were not operating yet.

Today, I took 27 students from my school's drama club to New York to see a show on Broadway. As we were meandering before curtain, I suggested a trip in the store. To give some background, I teach in an inner city school in Connecticut. Many of my kids have never been outside of their hometown, never mind out of the state. Maybe the fact that many of them may not make it to Disney in the new future made this experience even more magical...

Seeing kids get excited over the plushes of their favorite characters was exciting enough, but when the kids pulled me this way and that to see things like the Magic Mirrors in the back, and the magical trees... I was thrilled that they got to experience such splendor. As soon as Hannah Montana wound up on the big screen, the girls lined up and danced and sang with her. On the way out, the kids go to "save TInkerbelle" and were more excited than I've ever seen some of them since I've had the privilege to teach them. We stood and watched the fireworks on the walls while kids made their final purchases.

It is truly a magical store and if you are ever in the area, I HIGHLY recommend checking it out :mickey:

DisneyMom12
06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
What nice story. I have never been there yet myself, even though I am only an hour away. Hearing how wonderful it is, I may get there sooner than later.

Melanie
06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
How fun, and what a great experience to see it through your students eyes.

I've heard a lot about the escalator effects. Did you get to experience that?

lettripp
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Yes! It was amazing :-) Tink and Pooh flew by... there were LED lights flashing to show the Villains approaching and there was a long, musically choreographed digital fireworks show. Wish I could have hung out and watched longer!

DizneyRox
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
This is one of my biggest beefs with the way Disney runs the stores. The used to be, THE most visited property under Disney's roof. I believe this fact was part of the orientation process for TDS.

This would imply that you would/could reach more people at TDS the any place else, yet they are treated as red headed step children.

As mentioned, a Disney Store is probably as close to "going to Disney" as many people are going to get. That's their chance to each them.

Hopefully they are serious about turning them around. I just walked through our local store the other day. No real changes though from the last time I went, which was probably over a year ago. Not much incentive to get me back in there.

brownie
06-02-2011, 03:48 PM
I really miss the original store designs. They were full of lots of interesting stuff. It sort of felt like a Disney park. Now, they're no different than any other store and all the interesting stuff to browse through is gone.

For a lot of people, the Disney Store is sort of their "first gate." I would think Disney would want to make more of a connection between the parks and the stores.

lettripp
06-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I honestly felt like the store in Times Square was a great "first gate." It was bright, interactive and the kids LOVED it. I only hope they add similar improvements elsewhere...