PDA

View Full Version : Quintessential attraction for each park?

McLiberal8
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I am taking my boyfriend to WDW for his first time in September.
I have been debating which rides to take him on first. I really want him to get a 'feel' for each park on his first attraction, so I thought I would turn to Intercotees!
What are your favorite rides to 'sum up' each park? The 'quintessential' attractions in each park, for you?

darthmacho
06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Great Question!

In my opinion they are as follows:

MK: Splash Mountain
Epcot: Spaceship Earth
DHS: Tower of Terror
AK: Kilimanjaro Safari

Theses are the rides that I feel best define each park and must be ridden, thus quintessential, though I suppose at Epcot, I'd ride Soarin first before it got too crowded...

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
AK-Kilimanjaro Safari
DHS-Great Movie Ride
Epcot-Spaceship Earth
MK-Haunted Mansion or Pirates tie

joonyer
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
MK: Splash Mountain. My favorite themepark attraction in all the world. The essence of Disney Magic.

Epcot. Spaceship Earth

DHS: Tower of Terror. This really shows off the power of Disney Imagineering

AK: Expedition Everest.

There are others of course that you should also see, including watching Wishes over Cindy's Castle. No trip to WDW can be complete without the famous fireworks over the castle.

Jim&AngieMarriner
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Well , for MK, I would say deffinately hit the E ticket rides; Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Splash mountain. Also would hit Its a Jungle Cruise, Tiki Birds, Small World, Peter Pan and Carolsel of Progress.

EPCOT; Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Soaring, Living Seas (I like it but its just an aquarium really, so maybe not for you), Germany (biergarten), USA (American Experience), Japan (Drummers and Myoki) and maybe Journey into Imagination

DHS; Tower of Terror, Rockin Roller Coaster, Great movie ride, Star tours, Fantasmic

We have never been to AK so I have no idea.

Remember, depending on how you drive, your milage may vary.

MW1218
06-01-2011, 03:00 PM
This is a great question:

MK: Splash Mountain is wonderful, but I think that the Haunted Mansion is the embodiment of what makes Disney magical. There are no thrills, we are basically in a car going five miles per hour, but because of theming, music, atmosphere, lighting, and imagination, we are in a haunted house and having a wonderful time. That's what Disney is to me.
Epcot: Horizons. Oh wait....I guess I'd have to go with The American Adventure
Studios: Tower of Terror
Animal Kingdom: Kilamanjaro Safaris

dizneydeb22
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
AK: Expedition Everest
HS: Rockin' Roller Coaster
EPCOT: Soarin'

I would definitely visit MK first. Nothing compares to your first walk down Main St. USA, seeing Cinderellas Castle on your way down!!! My eyes still tear up when we get there and we go every year!:balloon:
Hope your trip is filled with Magic and plenty of pixie dust!!

Zawadi
06-01-2011, 03:27 PM
HS: Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride

I would definitely visit MK first. Nothing compares to your first walk down Main St. USA, seeing Cinderellas Castle on your way down!!!

:ditto: I'd go further and say that the ferry boat from TTC to MK is the best opening view as it rounds the headland and the castle comes into view for the first time :). That was our first view and we still think about it 13 years later.

McLiberal8
06-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd go further and say that the ferry boat from TTC to MK is the best opening view as it rounds the headland and the castle comes into view for the first time . That was our first view and we still think about it 13 years later.

Thanks for the tip! I have been to WDW many times, and Epcot is by far my favorite park, but I might forgo my urge to make it my first park, so my boyfriend can experience MK first. This sounds like a great way to go!

Dulcee
06-01-2011, 03:47 PM
MK: Small World
AK: Just take some time to take in the tree of life
DS: Great Movie Ride
EPCOT: Spaceship Earth

But for me, I know I'm "there" the first time I walk down Main St each trip. Nothing can compare...

ransam
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Everyone will have a different answer, and that's what's awesome about WDW.

for me.....

MK-Peter Pan
Epcot-Soarin
AK-Safari
HS-tour the Life of Walt

indytraveler
06-01-2011, 04:18 PM
We have always started our vacation at MK.

Yes the Ferry boat view is outstanding if you are off property and using the parking lot. Just seeing the Castle get closer as you approach... But once inside then you have...

MK - Pirates or Haunted Mansion
unless you want to take in the atmosphere I'd go to Fantasyland and soak up the character greets after Peter Pan

Epcot - Test Track

AK - Kilamanjaro Safari

DHS - Toy Story Mania

Mogie
06-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh boy...here goes:
MK: Pirates
Epcot: Space Ship Earth
HS: Tower of Terror

figmagination
06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
In my opinion, each park has more than one. Magic Kingdom has quite a few. I believe Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad are the ones in Frontierland. Then in Adevntureland, Pirates of the Caribbean. In Liberty Square, Haunted Mansion. Fantasyland, It's a Small World, Dumbo, and Peter Pan. Tomorrowland, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear. In Epcot, Spaceship Earth and Test Track. In Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest. In Disney Hollywood Studios, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, The Great Movie Ride, and Toy Story Mania.

SBETigg
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM
If I had to pick one per park:

MK: Pirates of the Caribbean
DHS: Tower of Terror (or Toy Story Mania for the people who don't like thrills)
Epcot: World Showcase (can that count? if I had to pick one attraction, I would say Test Track).

dumbo ears
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
this is a great topic. heres my picks.
MK: Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion, all the mountains, peter pan, mickey's philharmagic and jungle cruise.
Epcot: spaceship earth, soarin, test track, and walk around and truly take in world showcase.
DHS: star tours, muppets 3d, toy story mania, aerosmith, tower of terror, and one man's dream.
AK: expedition everest, kilimanjaro safaris, it's tough to be a bug, and the different walking trails

Disney-4-Me
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
A walk down Main Steet is the classic beginning to a Disney trip. You've gotten a lot of opinions about rides, but I'd like to add a tidbit about the shows too.

Giving him a taste of the Magic Kingdom should include a visit to the Hall of Presidents and the Carousel of Progress. The American Adventure is a must for EPCOT, Muppetvision 3D for Hollywood Studios and It's a Bug's Life at Animal Kingdom.:mickey:

HackLaSalle
06-06-2011, 11:15 PM
MK: I think Splash sums it up best.
AK: I mean working or not it has to be Everest. I get the Safari but I can get that at Six Flags Great Adventure
Epcot: Spaceship Earth.
DHS: I think the new Star Tours takes the cake. Before that I'd say without a shadow of a doubt Tower Of Terror.

kemps@wdw
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
MK: you know he has to go on POTC, Splash Mt., BTMRR, Space Mt.
Epcot: Test Track, Mission Space, Soarin, Spaceship Earth, and the "adult tour" of World Showcase, with Illuminations as a night cap.
DHS: RRC, TOT, Star Tours, and the Extreme Stunt show.
AK: Safari (early to see more animal activity), EE, Maharajah Trek, Dinosaur, and Khali River Rapids.
Although, he may be just a big kid at heart, and want to go on EVERYTHING, these are some of the star attractions! :thumbsup:

KatrinaJ91
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Magic Kingdom - Big Thunder Mountain
Epcot - Soarin
Studios - Rock N Roller Coaster
AK - Safari

This was actually easier than I initially thought! But these are the rides that came to mind immediately when thinking about each park!!

wdwfansince75
06-08-2011, 08:23 AM
There are attractions that define the Disney experience...and they are different for different audiences...We have done "1st Disney trips" for various friends and family members...We get the most OMG's from:
MK: Haunted Mansion
EPCOT: Soaring
DHS: RnRC
AK: EE

Hard to argue against POTC, our normal "1st ride"...or Splash, a family favorite...start of most visits, we send someone to get FP's for Splash, while we do POTC as a family group. And at the Studios, for the non-thrill first timers, we have done the Great Movie Ride. Before EE, our normal first ride at AK was KS, and at EPCOT, before Soaring, we tried to do Spaceship Earth as the first ride. All good choices...frankly, there is no bad choice...OK, would definitely do not to Stitch as intro to MK.

McLiberal8
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
frankly, there is no bad choice...OK, would definitely do not to Stitch as intro to MK.

Yes. That awful chilidog smell would be enough to send him running! :sick:

frozman
06-08-2011, 07:36 PM
What I would recommend for others:
Magic Kingdom: This is tough, but I'd go with the Fantasyland rides, you know, Peter Pan, Snow White, that sort of thing. It's really what this place is all about. Pirates of the Carribean wouldn't be a bad choice either.

EPCOT: Spaceship Earth I guess. Don't care for it myself but I agree that it would be the best attraction for a "feel" of EPCOT (the Future World side at least). Not to mention that ride is one of the most recognized symbols of WDW.

Hollywood Studios: I'd have to say the Backlot Tour. Once again in the spirit of getting a feel for each park by your first ride, this gives you a tour of how a studio works. But before you go, may I suggest getting a fast pass for Toy Story Midway Mania ;)

Animal Kingdom: Kiliminjaro Safaris. Once again, that attraction best represents that parks theme/feel.

If I were reccomending something for someone just like me:
Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain. Not just fun, but also historical and one of the most famous Disney attractions.
EPCOT: Eother Test Track or Mission Space, both thrilling with a bit of learning thrown in.
Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror. A nod to the classic show, and one of the most thrilling rides on Disney property.
Animal Kingdom: This ones a toughie. I'd like to say Everest, but that doesn't really fit in with the feel of the park. I'd go with Dinosaur I guess.

WHATEVER YOU DO THOUGH, like mentioned above, get a fastpass for something first, then do your first ride somewhere else, this (aside from getting you on your 2nd ride quickly) will also give him a feel for each park by seeing a bit of it first. Here's where I'd reccomend getting your fast passes:
Magic Kingdom: Summer (or an otherwise hot and muggy day) get Splash Mountain, otherwise get Space Mountain.
Studios: Midway Mania
Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest.

ryca1dreams
06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
These are not necessarily my favorites, but like you said, the one atraction that embodies the park...

MK - Haunted Mansion
Epcot - Spaceship Earth
DHS - Tower of Terror
AK - Kilimanjaro Safari seems so obvious, but I would also throw in Flights of Wonder - a small but entertaining and educational show.

Oh yeah, I would also recommend going to the parks at night.