PDA

View Full Version : Airtran you have to buy your seats?

thrillme
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
I booked on Airtran for the first time in my life. I ended up using Cheapo Air because for whatever reason they were consistantly coming up with a cheaper fare regardless of what I did.

It stated to go to the site and book seats...I miss Southwest but they were $800 more ... sheesh! Air Tran wanted like $6 per seat...that doesn't make any sense if I already bought a ticket. What if I don't "Purchase" a seat? What happens?

That doesn't seem right at all.

mini
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
The $6.00 is to" reserve" a seat not "buy " a seat. We travel with young children and we want to be sure to sit together so we always pay the $6.00. If you don't pay the $6.00 you will be assigned a seat when you check in. It stinks but what can you do?

thrillme
05-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Wow...that's rather icky. Since we're flying at Thanksgiving they're already "scalping" us on the tickets. We already can't sit together on American. (we ended up with a best deal going with two separate airlines...:()

I really hate not flying Southwest but they just wanted an OBSCENE amount for 3 tickets to come home. I would have held out for a "ding" if they weren't already practically sold out.

mgmnut
05-31-2011, 11:14 PM
I booked a flight for my wife and 2 children to go to Texas using Air Tran. They wanted $20.00 per seat to be able to pick and reserve your seat ahead of time for thier flight. They were also traveling with my nephew and 2 nieces, who are all young adults. We did not pay the fee and they had no issues getting all of thier seats together. I can imagine this does not always work out.

If you do not reserve your seat ahead of time you will have to take what they give you on the day of travel. I think you can check in online 24 hours prior to departure though, that might give you a better chance for a better seat.

Jillirose
06-01-2011, 07:33 AM
We love Airtran, and still come out ahead with the seat fee.

EJS-Houston
06-01-2011, 10:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Air Tran has been bought by Southwest, so I wonder if all this will survive the merger, or if Air Tran will become just like Southwest.

ThanxForNoticin
06-01-2011, 12:29 PM
We are also huge fans of Southwest. We fly them whenever possible. But keep in mind, in a different way, Southwest also offers you the chance to get a better seat by paying in advance - through their $10 Early Bird offer. It's not that much different than paying a few bucks for a seat on Airtran. Both airlines allow you to grab a seat (or place in the queue) for no additional cost 24 hours before your flight. But something else to keep in mind with Airtran - you will also pay for checked bags. That's probably $20 for the first bag each way - even more for a second checked bag. Those fees can really add up for a family on vacation. But based on your post, it sounds like Airtran is still a much cheaper way to go... Have a great trip!

Goofster
06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
As long as you check in online at the 24 hour mark, you'll be able to select your seats and then print your boarding pass. You shouldn't have a problem sitting together.

Ed
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Air Tran has been bought by Southwest, so I wonder if all this will survive the merger, or if Air Tran will become just like Southwest.

You're definitely not mistaken. The merger is well underway. But they won't be fully integrated and operating under only the Southwest name for several years, according to their press release of May 2, 2011. (http://www.southwest.com/html/cs/investor_relations/if_news_releases.html?int=GFOOTER-ABOUT-PRESS)

DVC2004
06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
We fly them almost exclusively to Orlando. That charge is to reserve as you mentioned, however it's NOT necessary. 24 hours prior to departure you can check in online and choose your seats at no cost (unless of course you are trying to go into business class or another prmium designated type of seat). I have never had any problem choosing seats at that time and gettiny my family seated together. No worries. I think they try that seat charge trick to see if they can fool people into spending the money because they think they have to.

azcavalier
06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Yep, we used to fly AirTrain when we lived in Illinois. Love AirTran. XM Satellite radio in the seats...can listen to the Comedy Station (or the kids listened to Radio Disney) all the way to Orlando.

We never once paid to reserve the seats, and every time we were able to sit together.

thrillme
06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Well that's good to know. Maybe it'll be worth chancing it. I've NEVER paid so much for tickets in my life. We booked a Cruise out of Florida for Thanksgiving. SIGH...I HAD 3 tickets available to fly but Southwest would only take the "flight" to and not the flight "from" (they were under the OLD plan and still subject to "blackouts"...:mad:)...By the time I got to the flight TO...they were already booked :mad:. So I tried to just buy and they were between $1900-2100 for 3 :noway::fit::bang: Betwen Airtran and American I was able to get it down to $1100 for the three of us. ...STILL more than I've ever paid but I sucked it up even WITH the "baggage" charge (we wouldn't need more than 3 bags anyway).

QUESTION: I've NEVER NEVER NEVER paid for bags before. If you pay the $25 for the bag...is that it? or do you have to pay for when you "change planes" I think we'll change planes in Dallas...would I have to pay for each "leg" or for the trip as a whole and then again on the trip as a whole back?

ThanxForNoticin
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
When you pay for checked bags, you pay for the entire leg of that trip - no matter how many times you stop or change planes on the way. It's basically the same as your plane ticket. You pay once to get from Point A to Point B, even if there is a stop/change in between. As you probably know, you will have to pay again, though, for your trip home. Hope you have a great time!

Disney-4-Me
06-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I just went through the same thing! I almost paid the extra money then started thinking...what the heck! I just paid for a plane ride. That means I get on the plane! I figured out the extra fee was optional but it sure looks mandatory at first glance.

We're taking our chances getting seats close to each other. That six bucks will almost pay for two Mickey Mouse head krispie treats!;)

thrillme
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I LOVE Rice Krispy Treats:D

Sigh. I miss the days of just getting on a plane. :(. I really hate these "bag" fees. But they figured they've got us by the ear!:mickey: We have no choice other than a tiresome drive. I wish our train system was better.

LOL...If anybody gets a chance to go to YouTube...Look for "Harvey Korman and Tim Conway Airplane". It was a skit they did on the Carol Burnett show (I used to LOVE this show as a kid). This had to be a good 20-30 years ago. Who ever would have thought that the Carol Burnett could predict things to come.

DVC2004
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
We just got back from our trip last night and flew Airtran nonstop. For the 4 of us we were able to get by with 4 carry ons and avoided the bag fees altogether. i just left more stuff at home this time like toiletries and used the Disney shampoo/conditioner. Was so nice not to have to stop at the baggage claim, too. I had some rewards points from them and flew business class on the way out using the point upgrade. Anyway, all the airlines are doing these things now. I agree- miss them days when you could just get on and go!

thrillme
11-04-2011, 04:34 PM
I'll be so glad to get to our destination. I'm so nervous and I can't seem to shake it. I think once I set foot in Florida I'm going to have a big frosty drink and relax. I'm going to try to minimize bags. I guess I just don't appreciate the "nickle and diming" from the airlines...but then...I guess it's a choice to fly.