PDA

View Full Version : The Genius (Magic?) of Splash Mountain

darthmacho
05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
This is not a new subject, but I wanted to start a thread about how great an attraction Splash Mountain truly is. After all, Disney Imagineers took a questionable story from a controversial movie, and made what arguably could be the signature ride in all their realm.

So, what it your opinion, makes it so great?

You can make a general statement, or point out small details, but I want to hear what you think. Let's hear it! :bunny:

DVC2004
05-31-2011, 03:12 PM
The telling of a story is so prominent in this ride, and it's a nice length (not over too fast or too long). I really like how it feels, very leisurely and but still has thrills. And you don't get too wet most of the time ha ha which I like! There is a ton of detail in the ride from the little birhouses to the possums. My son always loves the vultures up at the top before you plunge down into the Briar Patch. I haven't said anything too profound here but I really think it's an enjoyable ride.

emerzmom
05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I love the ride however I wish the "drop" was an option. My mom would absolutely love this ride however she would have a heart attack on the drop. I think many folks (young and old) miss out on this ride because of the drop.

Gator
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
No argument here from Splash's biggest fan. This ride really brings to life Song of the South, and yes I own a not-so-high-quality disc of it. This "dark ride", if you will, tells the story in so much detail, plus it let's you move at a relaxing pace down a lazy river. It's the "river" that makes you feel you're in the South, enjoying all it has to offer. And then, unlike all the other dark rides, it gives you the big thrill and rush at the end.

For me, it's the perfect attraction.

darthmacho
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
The telling of a story is so prominent in this ride, and it's a nice length (not over too fast or too long). I really like how it feels, very leisurely and but still has thrills. And you don't get too wet most of the time ha ha which I like! There is a ton of detail in the ride from the little birhouses to the possums. My son always loves the vultures up at the top before you plunge down into the Briar Patch. I haven't said anything too profound here but I really think it's an enjoyable ride.

Well said. The story, details, and leisurely pace are great features of the ride, as important as that plunge. :mickey:

darthmacho
05-31-2011, 03:29 PM
No argument here from Splash's biggest fan. This ride really brings to life Song of the South, and yes I own a not-so-high-quality disc of it. This "dark ride", if you will, tells the story in so much detail, plus it let's you move at a relaxing pace down a lazy river. It's the "river" that makes you feel you're in the South, enjoying all it has to offer. And then, unlike all the other dark rides, it gives you the big thrill and rush at the end.

Good point! The blending of dark ride and thrill ride is what makes SM stand out, then add the story, music and all the details...

A Big Kid
05-31-2011, 03:44 PM
This is a sore spot with me. A very sore spot, indeed! I usually go to WDW during Marathon Weekend. SpM has been closed every Marathon Weekend for as long as I can remember. EVERY ONE!:thedolls::mad:

figmagination
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I think it's the family nature, fun story, the water (especially the drop!), and the song! It's one of my favorite. We have to ride it at least twice every trip!

Suzi Q
05-31-2011, 05:55 PM
A tiny detail I love...the paper-looking red lamp shades...

darthmacho
05-31-2011, 06:04 PM
A tiny detail I love...the paper-looking red lamp shades...

Interesting! On what part of the ride are they found? I've probably seen them but failed to make note...good detail!

FloridaTeacher
05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
As a southern girl who saw the movie as a child....I must say I love, love, love this ride. Tons of sweet memories and a fun ride too.:thumbsup:

ransam
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
it's my favorite ride. It's perfect, and what makes it so perfect is the small things...the details.. the details in the que, the ride, the songs, the set, everytihng.

SBETigg
05-31-2011, 06:20 PM
The big drop is the climax, but the smaller drops build in significance as they lead to the big drop, an escalation in the thrills of the ride that matches the progression of the story. So, without the drops, the story would be less. The attraction would be less. This is one ride that doesn't offer thrills simply for thrills sake, but marries the thrills to story in perfect harmony.

HackLaSalle
05-31-2011, 08:12 PM
It's just the perfect ride for Walt Disney World should be. The story, the music, the detail. It's a subtle combination of dark ride and thrill ride. It gets a little creepy at times but it ultimately ends happily. Has anyone read the story of how Splash Mountain came to be? Oh that Rackety Raccoon!

joonyer
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
Splash is our family's favorite WDW attraction, also. What makes it so special for us?

1. It has great songs. Fun, happy sing-along, songs. It is almost impossible to sing "zippity doo dah, what a wonderful day" while riding the final section of this attraction at the Magic Kingdom and not feel happy.

2) It has classic characters and tells a story

3) It is a long ride about 10 minutes, so its worth waiting for, even without a fast pass.

4) As others have said, it combines indoor dark ride scenes and spookiness feel with big thrills (the plunge), plus it has outdoor sections with great views of the MK.

5) It's cool on the inside on hot summer days, and it gets you wet. Great summer fun!

6) Did I mention it has great songs?

7) It's full of magic.

KAJUNKING
05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
I think many folks (young and old) miss out on this ride because of the drop.

I think the drop is a big part of what makes this attraction special, the anticipation of the drop makes you miss some details, and that in turn makes you go back again and again noticing all the details you missed because you were so worried about the drop, and thats what makes it magic!!!!

Jforrest2
06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
I like the little gopher that pops out of the ceiling and shouts FSU!

JPL
06-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Splash Mountain may just be the perfect WDW attraction it mixes a great story that is part dark ride and part thrill ride! It definitely was high mark of imagineering.

Jim&AngieMarriner
06-01-2011, 10:14 AM
This is the best Log Flume ride. EVER. Like so many others have said, great music, great story, mid level thrills. Deffinate E ticket. Of the many classic rides that could use updating, I dont think this is one of them.

mousetrapper
06-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Wow, what a great question! I've thought about this too. We NEVER tire of this ride.

Here's my take:

1. It's longer than many rides! Of course, if not for all of the great features, that wouldn't be a plus! ;) But this one just has so many details and various great "feels" to it and it goes on and on.
2. The music is contagious.
3. There are so many funny things throughout the ride -- intentional and unintentional. One thing my DH, two DDs and I always get a kick out of is turning around and watching Brer Rabbit duck back down into position before popping up again when the next log boat goes by...for some reason we find it funny the way he does his little u-turn! (this is on the left side when Brer Rabbit is leaving with his stick and bandanna pouch slung over his shoulder).
4. There are too many cute things to count -- the characters and their little squeaky voices!
5. The drops. I agree that the last one could be a tad less dramatic (but that's just me - my DDs and DH LOVE that drop) but I love the way the drops build and build toward that last scary (to me) fall.

The two things I wish were different about Splash Mountain are a) the smelly rubber hand rests in front of you (I can't imagine how germy those things are! BLECCHH :sick:) and b) how freezing cold they keep it inside that ride! BRRRRR....especially when you get wet!

Ahhh...can't wait to go back in November! :thumbsup:

cer
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
My favorite is going to the laughing place when the shooting fountains are going. Love that water that springs across your path.

FriendsofMickey
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
We Love this ride as well! I wouldn't be able to pinpoint just one thing about it. We love the story line, the details of everything from the que to the ending, the music, the drop.

I will say that it being a dark ride is key too. Last year (November), we were there and they forgot to shut the lights off. The ride definately needs the lights out. Luckily, it was the beginning of the day and we were able to re-ride without leaving the log. I told them the lights were on and they had them out shortly after.

darthmacho
06-01-2011, 02:24 PM
We Love this ride as well! I wouldn't be able to pinpoint just one thing about it. We love the story line, the details of everything from the que to the ending, the music, the drop.

I will say that it being a dark ride is key too. Last year (November), we were there and they forgot to shut the lights off. The ride definately needs the lights out. Luckily, it was the beginning of the day and we were able to re-ride without leaving the log. I told them the lights were on and they had them out shortly after.

Weird, you think a CM would have noticed that? :confused:

See anything we should know about?

seanyred
06-01-2011, 03:31 PM
The details. The details. Thats the main reason I love this ride, plus it was one of my favorite childhood movies (just wished I still had a copy of it).

Also one of my favorite hidden mickey's is on this ride.

And one thing that I love that isn't always working is the animation of Brer Rabbit being chased on the hill side by Brer Fox and Brer Bear. I wished they always had this animation going its simple but very enjoyable.

garthbarth1
06-01-2011, 06:54 PM
We love this ride too! Especially the music and the drops. However, we do not know the story at all. Anyone care to share? :mickey:

KAJUNKING
06-02-2011, 01:10 AM
We love this ride too! Especially the music and the drops. However, we do not know the story at all. Anyone care to share? :mickey:

the story is based around the movie "The Song of The South" one of the best movies to mix live action and animation, but its very anti pc because in the film they depict a life in which one of the main characters in this old time setting was a slave (uncle Remus) and uncle Remus was the person who told the stories to the kids about brer rabbit, brer bear, brer fox, and such, if you have a chance to see it you should.

darthmacho
06-02-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm not sure about the movie, but the story
I'm getting from the ride is that Brer Rabbit is a wanderer who is seeking adventure, but he also seems to get into mischief. Brer Fox and Brer Bear, being nasty predators, want to capture and eat him, but the wily rabbit outwits them at every turn. When they finally do catch him, he tricks them by begging Brer Fox not to throw him into the Briar Patch, and the Fox is apparently spiteful because he decides to do it, which is why we have the drop. The trick is that the Briar Patch is Brer Rabbit's home, and all the animals celebrate his return. :bunny:

T-Belle
06-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I LOVE Splash Mountain!!!!! One of my families favorites. The themeing and detail are just classic Disney to me. But what makes it so special to me is a different story.
When my youngest son was about 8 years old he was afraid to ride any of the bigger rides. So we always had to take turns riding so someone could stay with him. Finally, my oldest son talked his little brother into riding SM. He agreed as long as he was "sandwiched" between me and his big brother. So we rode and he had a blast!!!! Not only that~from that moment on he became a scarey ride pro!!! Nothing was off limits after that one ride!

joonyer
06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
For more of the story background check out the "Uncle Remus Tales", published by Joel Chandler Harris. These stories are the basis of the movie "Song of the South" and the animation of the story characters for that movie are the basis of the characters' appearance/design in Splash Mountain. The stories are very entertaining, and there are many of them (185) with many more characters than depicted in the movie or Splash Mountain.
However if you do much reading about them you will discover, as others have mentioned, that these stories (and the movie) are somewhat controversial now, because they are based on oral folktales as told by slaves on southern plantations and written in the African-Amercian slave dialect used in the antebellum south.

Gator
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
However if you do much reading about them you will discover, as others have mentioned, that these stories (and the movie) are somewhat controversial now, because they are based on oral folktales as told by slaves on southern plantations and written in the African-Amercian slave dialect used in the antebellum south.

One of the reasons Walt did what he did was to preserve history. Although not a very pretty period, Walt believed these stories should be preserved in a fun cartoon/movie format. It was perfect. It combined the realness of the plantation setting, yet the cartoon section brought in the children who would love these never-before-heard stories. Wish Disney would just give in and release it so I could get a nice BluRay copy.

joonyer
06-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I've got a not so good copy of "Song of the South" from a Japanese issued laser disc that a military friend of mine got in the Philippines years ago, but for some reason the sound quality on my copy didn't turn out so good. So I wish they would re-release it also. I loved the Uncle Remus Tales as a child. I had (still have somewhere) several of the books. I think one of the main cultural objections to the stories now is that they were compiled and published by a white man, who is now perceived to have taken advantage of the people that created and passed along the tales. Everybody knows nowadays that Joel Chandler Harris didn't create the stories. Nobody knows who first made them up, but had the stories been published by a black author/editor they would be probably be considered a cultural treasure. I still think they are. It doesn't make logical sense to me, but times have changed, I guess.

garthbarth1
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for all the info! I am definitely going to do some research on this! I didnt have any idea what the ride was about, but never would guess it was something of this nature!! Now it will be even more enjoyable! Thanks again!
:mickey:

FriendsofMickey
06-03-2011, 07:57 AM
Weird, you think a CM would have noticed that? :confused:

See anything we should know about?

No, there was nothing special (such as any big secret).

Actually at first we did not realize why but everything was a little brighter. But then, we finally figured it out when we saw the "unfinished portions". Such as, when you see the "small drop" coming and see that above you it is not finished or detailed (at all). Like I said before, being dark is key!

It was a huge surprise that no one noticed it. It was honestly the first time we have ever seen such a mistake made at Disney. (though I am sure they happen more than we think).

Narawen
06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks so much for all the info! I am definitely going to do some research on this! I didnt have any idea what the ride was about, but never would guess it was something of this nature!! Now it will be even more enjoyable! Thanks again!
:mickey:

By all means, go watch the movie. I watched on Youtube a few weeks ago, and the ride made so much more sense. Scenes from the ride are taken directly from the movie and Uncle Remus's tales of Brer Rabbit. It made me appreciate the ride so much more.

Imagineer1981
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Fantastic themeing, great score and lyrics, so catchy and a perfect fit for Frontierland. I really wish they would release the video though

crmark1
06-07-2011, 09:19 AM

I wish I could find a DVD of " Song of the South". I remember seeing it at the theater when I was a boy and loved it! We all left the theater singing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah! So many people ride Spalsh Mountian and have no idea what the attraction is based on. To bad in todays world a great movie like "Song of the South" is not " politicly correct.

jaredkari
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
I remember the first time I rode SM and what impressed me the most was the length of the ride. From the outside you have no idea that this is an almost 10 minute ride!! I assumed it was simply get on the boat, go up a hill, and down you go. Man was I wrong! This ride is awesome!:mickey:

princessgirls
06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Ever since I took my first Splash Plunge in Disney Land in 1993 I've been hooked on this well themed, fun, creative attraction.

It is hands down my favorite thing in Disney...my favorite part is when you come out of the first cave and head around the bend to see the clothes hanging on the clothes line and the castle is in front of you! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Julie:mickey:

Victor Kelly
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
I like the superior attention to detail from the time you walk into the line until the time you exit the attraction.

I have never seen the movie although at this point I am willing to try anything to get a copy. So much for first amendment rights, but I digress.

The music can be just as contagoius as IASW:thedolls: Which I also enjoy.

I do remember there being a very beautiful train station where Splash now stands, that is the only regret I have about Splash being built, I am a R/R person even when I was a small child.

NJDad
06-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Don't believe the Disney decision to keep Song of the South in the vault violates the first amendment.

TheVBs
06-08-2011, 06:45 AM
We love this ride! Our youngest hasn't been on it yet, but she's looking forward to trying it on our next trip. She might chicken out, she's not crazy about the sight of that drop, but we'll see. I think overall it's a "feel good" ride.

A few years ago I was stunned when I walked into an antique store and saw a pile of Song of the South DVDs on the counter! My m.i.l. has wanted a copy for years, so I bought one, I think they were only about $30. She said the picture and sound quality are good. My plan was to borrow it from her at some point to watch it myself, but I never have. I'll have to do that! I've never seen the movie, just clips.

I think Disney might be able to re-release it if they included a disclaimer and accurate historical info about the controversial aspect of the movie, which was depicting a slave's life and relationship to their owner as idyllic.

joonyer
06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Don't believe the Disney decision to keep Song of the South in the vault violates the first amendment.

You are correct. The Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, only applies to and restricts the actions of government, not to private entities, companies or individuals.

HackLaSalle
06-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Here is the story from another site:

We all know that Song of the South and Splash Mountain were based on the characters of Joel Chandler Harris. But most of us don’t know the background story that the Imagineers gave this fabled mountain.

Legend has it that deep in the “New-nited States of Georgia,” live critters that walk and talk in the same manner as human folk. At the center of this magical land is Chick-A-Pin Hill and it’s here that the Beaver Brothers had built their sturdy new dam. But unbeknownst to them, Rackety Raccoon had also constructed a juice producing still in the same area. And it seems that while Rackety was concocting a new, experimental brew, he used a few too many blueberries with disastrous results. When his still exploded, it took the Beaver Brothers’ dam with it and water began to rush downhill and through the many caves, burrows, holes, and tunnels that crisscrossed the mountain. From that moment on, the local critters started calling their home Splash Mountain and the name stuck.

Giselle
06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
This ride has the soothing, gentle boat ride of ISW, interesting scenery like no other, a dark part, a drop, a great theme song, a photo op, and even a great line. One of my favorites of all time.

darthmacho
06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
The music is certainly one of the gripping features of Splash Mountain. Love that medley, and the Zipadeedoodah celebration is so lively and fulfilling a finish. Actually, I love the way Brer Rabbit says, "Eeeeeeeverything is saaaaatisfactual!" at the end. :mickey:

wdwaggie
06-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Hands Down, my all time favorite ride! There is too much for me to say that isnt a repeat of what all the other posters have said. The level of detail that went into this ride is phenomenal. The first time I rode in 2002, I must have done it at least 6 times, trying to absorb anything I missed the time before. I even video'd the ride, this was back before the days of you-tube and cell phone cameras, so needless to say folks were giving me the :cool:who's the weird-o:cool: look. LOL

Kaps
06-09-2011, 11:31 AM
The story is told real well and the drop is great at the end. It is also air conditioned so the lenght of the ride is great as well.

Kairi_7378
06-09-2011, 10:13 PM
A rider of Splash Mountain really gets a chance to see what WDI is all about. They wanted a water ride and they could have built a very plain log flume like you see at other parks. Instead, they made it lively and beautiful- it feels like you're floating through a cartoon when you're on that ride! Not only that, but they had the courage to incorporate a movie that is so controversial that many guests don't know the storyline. To me, this ride shows the creative genius of the Imagineers.