PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear?

PeachyGal
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Some time back, there was a discussion on what shoes you wear to Disney. After a brief visit to Orlando this past weekend, I know for a fact that I need something different to wear! My regular flimsy flip flops are NOT going to do it for 9 days in the World.

So what do you wear? I'm a sandals kindof gal so that is what I'm leaning towards, but I need a good walking shoe that does have some support (I think I might be getting old!!). I'd like to get something soon and get it broke in.

Thanks!

BraddyB
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
How about a pair of Keen's? I alternated between my Keen's and running shoes last time I was there.

princessgirls
05-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Lands End has some nice comfy sandals. I prefer sandals in the heat. Socks and Sneakers are way too hot!!!

Julie:mickey:

btharvey
05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
Feet are as varied and as capable as their owners! :secret:

It really all depends. My DD can go an entire month with flip-flops on concrete. DW and I require good strong support of a well-made walking or multi-purpose sneaker. I especially am prone to ... "challenges" ... when it comes to the feet, and I've worn the wrong shoe on occasion and feel it.

Support is always best. Of course, if one of the things you'll be doing is Kali River Rapids, I suggest the sneakers be in a plastic bag and your Keens be on your feet. Otherwise, Sneakers.

Just my 11.01 cents, based on 1971 dollars.

Goofeygal
05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
I like to wear running shoes in summer. They are so lite and cool. My preference is New Balance.

DVC2004
05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Maybe look at Crocs- they have a variety of options not just the clog style. I don't personally own any of the sandals but they have a few that look like they offer more support than a regular flip flop but still the styling of a flip flop.

Personally I wear flip flops to the parks because everything else I have tried hurts more! I have gotten some bad blisters from running shoes, and I find them so hot. I also can't stand them getting wet from rain or a water ride.

Dulcee
05-31-2011, 03:09 PM
I always wear my most broken in pair of flip flops. I can't do closed toed shoes in the summer when we tend to visit.

My fiance has to wear sneakers or he's crying by the end of the day.

Guess it all depends on the person...or the feet.

SBETigg
05-31-2011, 03:18 PM
I can't wear flip-flops. I like my running shoes (Asics) with socks and I do frequent sock changes. It's the only way my feet stay comfortable all day.

micky95
05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Dr Scholes has a brand of sneakers at walmart that i always wear.cushion & support built in and i do buy a new pair and wear them before a disney trip.also always make sure their laced up snug.last trip i got a blister because i didnt snug them up.limping at disney is still fun. LOL:mickey:

DizneyRox
05-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Teva's for years, and I don't plan on changing...

Especially in Florida, keeping your feet cool, helps your whole body. In the summer with the rains, and the high humidity, you need something that will dry quickly. I used to bring older sneaks, but found that open sandals are better. Once your sneakers get wet, you're pretty much done. They need to dry out, and will probably stink like you wouldn't believe. I've left a number o sneakers at Disney because they just weren't worth bringing home after getting that wet.

Madame Leona
05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I like the Skechers Tone-Ups sandals and flip flops. I don't know if they are actually toning anything but they are the most comfy flip flop I've ever worn.

BrerGnat
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
I like the Skechers Tone-Ups sandals and flip flops. I don't know if they are actually toning anything but they are the most comfy flip flop I've ever worn.

100% agree!!! I am normally a sneakers person. I have problem feet. However, last week I switched between sneakers and my Tone-Ups flip flops and had no issues. I normally never wear flip flops or sandals for long periods of time, but these are so comfortable that I was able to do that!

jillluvsdisney
05-31-2011, 07:16 PM
I threw fashion out the window my last trip.
Medical Crocs with socks. I used foot powder in my socks and they were never hot or sweaty and it was late August. I had plantar fascitis in my right foot and my foot never hurt once in 8 days.They'll be packed for my upcoming trip in November.

lettripp
05-31-2011, 07:20 PM
If you are a sandal/flip flop person, I HIGHLY recommend FitFlops. Not only are they comfortable, they are durable and feel great on painful joints. I've had back problems for years and they are one of the few pairs of shoes that ever relieved that pain!

magicalmom
05-31-2011, 10:56 PM
I like the toning flip-flops, in several brands. I alternate them with Crocs, the Mary Jane or ballet flat styles, because I'm less apt to catch the toe and stumble. No socks. We go in the summer, and I don't care if my feet get wet in either of these, so let it rain, says I!

Dragongirlx
06-01-2011, 03:58 AM
I wear Crocs. If I wore trainers I would end up with blisters and I have never been able to wear flip flops. I have found crocs to be the most comfortable and practical.

SuzieBell
06-01-2011, 06:17 AM
I'm a flip flops girl, but sadly as Peachygirl, I'm getting older too! I can not wear them that long, plus I have planters faceitis (sp?) and surgery on both my feet! I just bought a pair of Chaco's a month ago and LOVE them! Very comfy and supportive! They are expensive, but worth it! Have been breaking them in - I"ll let you know in 7 days how they worked!! I tried on Teva's and Keens and they just did not "hug" my arch like the Chaco's did. But all feet are different! Good luck!

Ian
06-01-2011, 07:56 AM
The best approach by far is to vary your footwear as much as possible. This past trip I brought two different pair of sneakers and a pair of flip-flops (just boring old J. Crew ones) and swapped them around a few times a day.

It really makes a big difference not to have the same wear points on your feet day in and day out.

Melanie
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
If you are a sandal/flip flop person, I HIGHLY recommend FitFlops. Not only are they comfortable, they are durable and feel great on painful joints. I've had back problems for years and they are one of the few pairs of shoes that ever relieved that pain!

Love my FitFlops! Wear them in the parks all the time. :thumbsup:

PeachyGal
06-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the great replies! I've made a list of all the brands named and am going to check them out.

I definitely want a sandal as running shoes or anything that requires socks are way to hot for me. I do have 2 pair of Skeechers tone up tennis shoes and have been wanting to try the flip flops, so I might try that. I have Crocs, the Disney clog ones, so they might be good for a day or two maybe. I'm also not a water ride kindof girl. I can't stand to get wet and then be in a park, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Lots to research!

Magic Smiles
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
As I had to get orthotics this past Dec I was not able to wear my usual flip flops that I use to live in. I purchased a pair of Orthaheal flip flops before leaving home. They have a great support arch and I loved them. Since I live in Canada and our store only had 2 styles to choose from I had another 5 pairs delivered to our resort while we were in WDW last month which I ordered online at zappos.

Mickey'sGirl
06-02-2011, 09:18 AM
I always wear running shoes (I have RA).

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Just got back from WDW Tuesday and I wore my FitFlops every day except 1. That day I wore my Crocs and my feet were killing me!! I used to swear by the Crocs but now I can't recomment the FitFlops enough. Love them.

UCJen
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a question. The FitFlops you wore, are they slides or thong-type (strap b/w big toe and second toe)?

I don't know how old your Crocs are, but I notice the pair I have from years back are more comfortable than newer ones. I wore a pair of brand new Crocs Madeira the other day and I walked maybe 4 blocks, tops and I have an big open sore on the top of my right foot. I definitely can't wear these to WDW in August.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Jen, my Fitflops are the thong style. Some people need a while to get used to those so give yourself time to break them in.
And my Crocs are about 4 years old. I think I just got used to the Fitflops and that's why the Crocs aren't as comfortable any more.

Jeri Lynn
06-12-2011, 08:34 PM
For Sandals I wear my teva's...but for sneakers I buy a new pair of Nike's and I break them in before I go. I never wear brand new shoes.

Pop Centurion
06-12-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm a Nike & Jordan basketball shoe wearer so that's what I always wore. But last year I wore Nike Lunar Glide running shoes & was so comfortable the whole time.
I tend to get achy arches after walking for hours but had no problems at all. Excellent cushioning & stability. They're super light & very breathable so your feet don't sweat much.

TooGoofy
06-17-2011, 07:46 PM
I swear by my Merrells! I have plantar fasciitis and bunions so I need a good shoe and the Merrell Encore MJ fits the bill. Unfortunately, they don't make these any more, so I am taking my older, broken in Merrells and also some Aetrex and Taos sandals.

Imalismom
06-27-2011, 11:55 AM
The "clark" brand of shoes are also very comfortable, and they have some nice sandals also. If you don't have a clarks nearby to look at them, I know that QVC does sell them.

Dsnygirl
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
:) This is the kind of question I ask every few years, when my trusted pair of {whatever is my current favorite} breaks down and needs to be replaced! :thumbsup:

I'm a flip flop girl, and have gone through many pairs at Disney... my original favorites were a pair of Reebok that are no longer made. :( Then I bought a pair of Clarks, and they were great, EXCEPT for the fact that they have those "nubbins" on the footbed, which are supposed to be great and 'massage' your foot as you walk... well, for me, not so much... they actually made my feet hurt after more than 3 or 4 hours, so I needed a second pair I could wear when not wearing those. That second pair turned out to be Teva Mush flip flops -- but not the current Mush, an older version that had a softer footbed. They also had better support... the new ones don't feel as great. :(

So, I recently went on a hunt for new Disney flip flops, and found three pair... one, the new Teva Mush that will be a "secondary pair", and a pair of black and white Clarks that have a soft, cushioned footbed and are REALLY comfortable. The last pair are by a company called "Yellow Box" and they're fancier, with a higher profile than regular flip flops, but they're amazingly comfortable, and something I think I can wear in the evenings for any number of hours.

When I find a supportive "shoe" or sandal, I'll come back here and let you know... that's my next search! :D

Dsnygirl
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
The best approach by far is to vary your footwear as much as possible. This past trip I brought two different pair of sneakers and a pair of flip-flops (just boring old J. Crew ones) and swapped them around a few times a day.

It really makes a big difference not to have the same wear points on your feet day in and day out.

This is DEFINITELY great advice... after wearing one pair of Teva sandals my first trip, I found that if I mix it up and wear one pair of flip flops during the day, a solid & supportive shoe in the evening at times, or just mixing it up b/w 2 pairs of flip flops, my feet feel FAR better.

(and who couldn't use an excuse to buy a second pair of shoes and/or flip flops?? :blush:)

Mousefever
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
I absolutely LOVE my Crocs sandals! The style is Patricia. I have worn them for hours walking, and I've never had a hot spot or blister. They are very streamlined, unlike some styles, and they have a nice wedge, which I would normally shy away from in major walking situations.

Amy