PDA

View Full Version : FW Cabins?

SandmanGStefani24
05-30-2011, 12:06 AM
I can't believe I never noticed or looked into these before! I gotta say they look pretty cool and the idea of having a little "house" to stay in without noise from the room next door seems great.

So, tell me all about your experiences. What did you guys think? If we stay there we will have a rental car, so factor that in. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. My main issues are sleep quality, (i am at times a light sleeper) room quality, and the fun factor.

Thanks!:beer:

A Big Kid
05-30-2011, 09:07 AM
My wife and I have stayed there twice when we invited other family members to come with us.

They are quite roomy. There is a "back" bedroom that has a twin bed and two bunk beds. The main room has a queen murphy bed (that pulls out of the wall) and a couch that is suitable for sleeping.

The kitchen is fully equipped with stove, oven, micro, coffee maker, toaster, dishes and cooking utensils. There is a kitchen table as well as an outside table on the deck.

Two disadvantages are only one bathroom and transportation. If you are going to take WDW transportation, you have to take an "internal bus" to the Wilderness Lodge (and/or I think the boat launch at Ft Wilderness) and then catch a bus/boat to your ultimate desitination. then you have to do it all in reverse at the end of the day.

DAWS
05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
We stayed in the cabins once; my wife liked them a lot more than I did. Here are the pros and cons, from my perspective:

Pros: Full kitchen (we picked up food at the store onsite and had some great breakfasts); Access to Trails End (we really like that restaurant) and Crockett's Tavern; Outdoor movies; Access to the Wilderness Segway Tour and Hoop de Doo; The way people decorate their RVs during both October and December; The bedroom was a separate room, allowing people to go to bed at different times; The bunk beds were great; Good option for larger families

Cons: Transportation (it takes a long time to get from Fort Wilderness to a park, because you need to take an internal bus to get to the regular busses - it takes even a long time to get from one location to another within the resort); The cabins seem like cheap mobile homes - the fake log siding isn't as charming as I had hoped; The pool isn't as nice as other resorts

cuteduck223
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
We've stayed at the fort several times.

I agree with everyone else, the transportation can be a bit of a hassle, although the internal busses run constantly, so you never really have to wait more than 5 minutes (at least in our experience). The other option (though its more expensive) is to rent a golf cart for the week, and then you dont need the internal bus. you can drive your golf cart to the bus stops/boat dock and plug it in there for the day.

Its much quieter than other places,and there is a nice patio with a grill outside. mom and i sat outside several nights when everyone else was going to bed.

faline
05-31-2011, 01:33 PM
We've stayed several times and have really enjoyed them. Others has already noted the same issues I would have mentioned.

HackLaSalle
05-31-2011, 08:40 PM
I absolutely love The Cabins at Fort Wilderness. I'm a pretty light sleeper and my buddies were able to come and go from the bathroom without waking me up in the living room.

The Rental Car is a big help. You can drive to bus stop if you so choose. I loved the boat over to MK. Unfortunately the other posters are right the rest of the transportation is slow.

slegrant
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
I have stayed at the cabins many, many times and my family and I love them. Having a full kitchen and a separate bedroom are big factors. We usually drive to WDW and use our cars when going to Epcot or the Studios and when we are going to the Magic Kingdom we will drive our golf cart down to the boat docks, plug them in and take that awesome boat ride to the MK.

The cabins are very peaceful and I know that you will enjoy them. I do recommend renting a gol cart, it is fun to drive around the campground.

Have fun and I hope you enjoy the peace and quiet as much as we do:mickey:

jennsky
06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I would never hesitate about staying at Fort Wilderness. To be honest, the vacations when we have stayed there have been the most peaceful. Fort Wilderness is a wonderful break from the busy parks. We have two little kids so we appreciate the fact that they can go to bed in the back bedroom while we can sit out in the living room and watch tv or most of the time, we'll sit out on the deck while the kids are sleeping and enjoy the quiet out there.

Check out the Camping section on the Intercot boards for what other people have said. Personally I think the Cabins are your best bargain at Disney World for what you get.

kathiep
06-02-2011, 12:29 PM
We loved the cabins! Very roomy and quiet. It was great to have the kitchen and just be able to hang on the deck and BBQ if we wanted.

Our only downside was the pool. We were lucky to be very close to the quiet pool. This was great. But my kids are pool fanatics and the main pool left them wanting for a little more....it seemed a bit small for the amount of people it needed to serve and the theming wasn't all that great.

Lizzie
06-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Is there a picture somewhere of the main pool?