PDA

View Full Version : iphone battery...charging in parks??

disneyNmay
05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
So, as most everyone knows that has an iPhone the battery is to say the least not the best. At home I can charge it either by computer, car or by wall plug but what do you do when you are at the park from opening to the wee hours of the night? Ideas please!

Have you seen plugs anywhere?

DizneyRox
05-26-2011, 01:12 PM
?? I rarely drop below 50% during a day with normal use of my iPhone, you're dropping lower than that?

In the parks, turn off WiFi and probably bluetooth as they aren't really necessary. maybe change your timeout to like 1 minute as well, so the LCD isn't on long after you're done using it. Turn the brightness down on the screen too.

The newer firmwares are also supposedly better on battery drain as well. I'd update to the latest, you can still jailbreak 4.3.3 if that's your thing.

As far as charging, I think you're out of luck. You can get an extrnal battery thingy fo use in a pinch, but if the battery still doesn't last all that long, it might be worth looking into getting the battery replaced at your local "genius" bar.

McLiberal8
05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
I own a solar phone charger, and it works wonders. It doesn't need a plug (obviously) and the only time it wouldn't work would possibly be a rainy day.
You can get them online, they are anywhere between $15-$30.

Dopey's Girl
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
I used my phone quite a bit in May (parks ap, posting here, texting etc) and never really had a huge problem with the battery. I did turn off my WiFi and set my brightness down as well. I just charged it in the room every night and it was ok!

Jeff
05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I have a battery "booster" I bought from Amazon.

But the above tips are essential, turn off un-necessary things.

Melanie
05-26-2011, 03:09 PM
On a typical day at the parks, I go through the regular battery and an external battery as well. But I'm tweeting...a lot, and that really drains a battery there.

Believe me, I've looked all over for places to 'recharge'. There is a spot in Frontierland by the SM bathrooms, and the Electric Umbrella has one pillar with some outlets, but you'd have to luck out and get that particular table.

caryrae
05-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Maybe Disney needs some charging stations like at Airports, then they could charge people a bunch of money for it.

Melanie
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe Disney needs some charging stations like at Airports, then they could charge people a bunch of money for it.

If it wasn't a 'bunch' of money, I'd actually be willing to pay for such a service.

Dsnygirl
05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Subscribing to this thread b/c although I don't have an iPhone, and my Fascinate holds up pretty well, I know that on my last trip I wore my battery almost dead by 10pm. I was sending a TON of pictures home, and although I won't be doing that in August, or messaging as much, I probably WILL be tweeting, and I am experimenting with Gowalla.

I'm going to look into the solar idea -- can anyone tell me how it works?

caryrae
05-26-2011, 04:38 PM
I just figured a bunch since it's Disney.:) They do sell cases that have have batteries in them.

Melanie
05-26-2011, 04:44 PM
I probably WILL be tweeting, and I am experimenting with Gowalla.

I'm going to look into the solar idea -- can anyone tell me how it works?

Oh yes, Gowalla. I'm into that as well, and in fact, INTERCOT now has a Gowalla account. Look us up everyone. ;) But you can tie your Gowalla account in with your Twitter account, and that helps with the battery issues.

Yes, I'm intrigued by the solar thing as well. Details please...... :D

caryrae
05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
amazon has several solar chargers. I saw some that the phone slides in to and a bunch where you have a solar panel and a cable that runs from the charger to the phone. Not sure how fast it charges though.

I had heard about backpacks that have solar panels that can charge phones too but I think they were pricey.

McLiberal8
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I use my solar charger in my car. I just set it on the console in the sun and it charges away.

I had a backpack with a mesh pocket on my last trip and it worked through that. I would also set it in the sun when I was eating outside.

kakn7294
05-26-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a cheap solar charger and it doesn't work so watch what you get. It doesn't charge by solar power as it says and it won't charge the iPhone at all. It does work as a cheap alternative to a portable battery charger on my iPod but will only charge from in the red to about 50%. I also have a rechargeable portable battery pack that will recharge the phone from the red to about 50%. I might look into those other solar chargers as well.

kakn7294
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Too late to edit now so new post - I looked on Amazon and ended up buying a mega-capacity charger. It's a 5000 mAh rechargeable battery pack that will work for pretty much any item that recharges by usb cable. It's not solar but can be charged through the computer, AC adapter, or car charger. I paid $41+ with taxes and shipping - $35.99 before those added. Reviews talk about how wonderful it is and that people have used it to recharge their iPhone 4 and 5 times and still have power left in this pack. I guess we'll see - hope it lives up to the hype!

ElenitaB
05-29-2011, 12:33 AM
I got a Solio solar charger for our WDW trips (it was definitely not cheap) and was really disappointed with it. It's sitting in a drawer now (where it's definitely NOT charging).

Kathy, let us know if your new charger works out well.

kakn7294
05-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Will do! It shipped but with the holiday I don't expect it for a few days yet. I should have a report in a week or so.

JPL
05-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Can't wait to hear your report I have been looking for something other than changing batteries for my Droid since my first trip to WDW with it.

disneyNmay
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
So here at WDW and a couple days I have charged while at restaurants or there is a great plug across from the coffee bar first floor of the contemporary. Great coffee, comfortable chairs, cool and a plug! Only a short ride in the monorail! Very quiet too if you are looking for a place to just cool down and "recharge".

magicofdisney
05-31-2011, 09:51 PM
If I go in with a full charge, I don't die down before the end of the day. I also do a lot of Facebooking while there.

I've seen the plug at Electric Umbrella that was previously mentioned. In fact, we were sitting next to it and a gentlemen asked us if he could use it to charge his phone while we ate. We only charged him a small fee. ;)

There is also a plug right outside Pecos Bill. I used that plug one night for my camcorder so I could video Spectromagic.

kakn7294
06-01-2011, 05:39 PM
The battery pack arrived today. It's about the size of the average Blackberry phone with a similar weight to the iPhone. It came with a charging cable / AC adapter and 5 adapters (1 iPhone / iPod, 1 iPad, and 3 others) that plug into that charging cable so you can use that to charge your device. However, none of those fit my sister's Blackberry which is about 1 yr old. One does fit my old LG phone and my daughter's new Kodak camera. Another fits my older Canon camera. The good news is that you don't actually need those adapters for anything - they are strictly for using the charging cable / AC adapter. Once it's charged, to use the battery pack you only need your device's own USB cable. It will plug into an outlet on the top of the battery pack then into your device. There is power capacity indicator on the battery pack as well as an on/off button to help prevent accidental discharge. I'm charging the pack now. I'm going to purposely run the battery down on my iPhone tonight so I can see what this battery pack can do. I'll update again later!

kakn7294
06-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Last night I ran the battery down to 19% then plugged into the battery pack. It recharged the phone to 100% and still shows full capacity on the pack. I think I'm in love!

JPL
06-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Can you post more details as to the model you purchased?

kakn7294
06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh, sorry! It's the Superb Choice High-Capacity Battery Pack and Charger, 5000mAh. Sells for $34.99 plus taxes and shipping and whatever. It's black with blue trim. There are other similar items but this was the cheapest when I was shopping.

kakn7294
06-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Second charge from 50% to 100% took the pack to 3/4 capacity. So far so good!

NotaGeek
06-03-2011, 03:26 AM
OH ... i am so gonna get this ... anyone else try that re-charger thing? Melanie did you get it?

JPL
06-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Definitely something I am going to purchase before my trip in August:thumbsup: Might get it sooner ok so I might actually have Amazon open now! :blush:

Emme&TeddysMommy
06-03-2011, 10:29 PM
On a typical day at the parks, I go through the regular battery and an external battery as well. But I'm tweeting...a lot, and that really drains a battery there.

Believe me, I've looked all over for places to 'recharge'. There is a spot in Frontierland by the SM bathrooms, and the Electric Umbrella has one pillar with some outlets, but you'd have to luck out and get that particular table.

I love reading the intercot tweets! Thanks for keeping the magic alive for me when i cant be at Disney!

Melanie
06-04-2011, 09:11 AM
That battery pack sounds great! Going to look into it.

kakn7294
06-05-2011, 01:17 AM
I really do love this battery! We went to The Pittsburgh Power (arena football) game tonight and I listened to the entire Pittsburgh Pirate game, took tons of pics, and posted frequently to Facebook, then listened to the end of the Yankee game. Normally the phone wouldn't make it but no problems with the battery pack! We also went to the Pirate game last night and I used the pack there as well. I'm recharging it for the first time even though it still had about 1/4 capacity left. I'm so glad I saw this thread and it prompted me to do a bit of research! :thumbsup: