PDA

View Full Version : Looking at BLT vs AKL: Share your experiences/thoughts?

janebanks
05-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Going with the philosophy (described elsewhere very nicely in this forum) of Buy Where You'd Like To Stay, I'm looking at BLT or AKL.

But I've never been to either one in real life! Just watched videos, read info, gazed at pics, etc. If you've had stays at either or both, feel free to share.

If it helps to know this, we have 2 little pills, I mean, kids, ages 6.5 and 4. :dance:

disneymom15
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
We bought DVC in Jan and those were our 2 options also. We stayed at AKL last Dec and really loved the resort. We ended up buying BLT.
Our reasons were:
1. Near MK
2. on the monorail line
3. BLT (smaller resort) better chance getting reservation at 11 month window instead of 7 month window.

DVC2004
05-24-2011, 04:12 PM
I would go with BLT. I've stayed at both. They are both great. However AK is really far. WIth kids wouldn't be so awesome just to hop on the monorail, or go up to the Top of the World to watch fireworks? The dues (maint fees) are also less expensive at BLT. At AK there is alot more upkeep with the animals and all. And that my friend is the long term cost of the membership. You'll spend much less over the term of your ownership. Plus, you can always use your points to stay at AK if you want!

Ian
05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
We'ves stayed at both ... BLT this past December and AKV (Kidani) just this past Friday.

It's a tough call. The 1BR we had at Kidani was gorgeous. The master bath is huge. Both have two full baths (which is awesome) and both are gorgeously appointed rooms.

At the end of the day, I think I'd give BLT just a slight edge due to location. You can't beat being a 10 minute stroll from MK in the morning.

Basket Mommy
05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
I've not stayed at AKL, but I have stayed at BLT. The reason we have not stayed at AKL is because it is so far away, and the only park near it closes around 6 pm depending on when you go. There are no fireworks to be seen from your room, and we love the fireworks! I know the animals are a big draw, but you can't see them at night, which is when we're usually enjoying our villa.

From BLT you have either a great view of Bay Lake (and the nightly water parade) or the Magic Kingdom and monorail. We *loved* being so close to the kingdom and seeing the fireworks every night. If I was going to buy more points, I'd go for BLT for sure!

faline
05-24-2011, 07:09 PM
We bought into DVC last year. My first two trips have been to Bay Lake Tower (February) and we just got back form Animal Kingdom Lodge and week and a half ago. Of the two, I'd select Bay Lake Tower. You just can't beat the location!

MinnieMommie
05-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I love both resorts but BLT is my favorite place to stay. I must tell you that we have always been able to get into AKL at the 7 month window - it is a very large resort. Sometimes we stay there for the first 2 days of our vacation and that works for me. I love being able to walk to the MK when at BLT. I love the whole feel of being at a monorail resort. I love watching the fireworks from my room or the lounge...BLT is just my favorite place. :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
05-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Just strictly comparing resorts, we like AKL a lot more than we like BLT. I understand the location of BLT is very nice, especially for families with young kids who spend lots of time at MK (our kids are much older now). But the look and the feel of the AKL is something we like so much better. And somewhat contrary to what some folks talk about, we never really see it as being that far away from the action. AKL is close to AK while BLT is close to MK. After that, you have to travel to get to where you want to be. We also found the rooms at BLT to be small. Maybe it's not that much smaller than AKL, but it felt like it.

Now, all that being said, I'd like to get back to your original question. I agree with what disneymom15 said - it might be wiser to buy at BLT and have the privilege of reserving rooms there 11 months in advance. There are more rooms available now at AKL, and it's likely you can get a room there even 7 months in advance. I expect there are times during the year that it's tough to get a room at BLT at the 7-month mark.

Good luck with your decision.

janebanks
05-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your input! Based on your replies and further consideration, IF we buy DVC (still on the fence!) we will choose BLT. :tink:

It makes sense for all the reasons you've mentioned. But I know I will love staying at either place while being a BLT owner! :mickey:

Ian
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
AKL is close to AK while BLT is close to MK. After that, you have to travel to get to where you want to be.Well ... not really. At BLT you can hop the monorail to the TTC and be in Epcot in about 15 minutes. And really, from Epcot, you can take a 20 minute boat ride to DHS. So techincally you can access three of the four parks without having to rely on busses or a car.

I do agree, though, that the BLT one bedrooms felt a bit smaller than the AKV ones.