PDA

View Full Version : December Use Year?

janebanks
05-24-2011, 10:14 AM
If we think our vacations would more likely happen between the months of October and February, is a December use year a bad thing? Does that always leave us out of luck for the months of October and November?

Thanks in advance!

DizneyRox
05-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Well, if you cancel an October trip, you may have only a couple months to reschedule. That would be the only real problem, and if I recall, depending on what those points are used for, you may have trouble using them at all. Something about not travelling on points the last couple months of your year. It's one of the collections, not the DVC resorts, but I'll be honest, I only use points for DVC resorts and I don't cancel vacations. Someone else would need to answer this instance that might have more experience.

Here it is.. Rule of Four
You cannot book and travel on The Disney Collection, (excluding Disneyland© Resort Hotels in California and Tokyo Disney Resort®), Concierge Collection and Adventurer Collection vacations within the last 4 months of your Use Year. However, you can travel in the last 4 months of your Use Year as long as you've booked your stay more than 4 months before the end of your Use Year

janebanks
05-24-2011, 10:32 AM
However, you can travel in the last 4 months of your Use Year as long as you've booked your stay more than 4 months before the end of your Use Year

We would always be planning ahead, so this wouldn't be a problem.

DizneyRox
05-24-2011, 11:02 AM
We would always be planning ahead, so this wouldn't be a problem.
The problem is... This is Disney here, and they often don't include the whole story.

Here's my understanding... If you book Disney Collection, your DVC points get "converted" to reservation points. They are no longer DVC points and can't be used at DVC resorts anymore. If you have to cancel an October stay booked within the Disney Collection, you have better cancel it 4 months prior to December 1st. Otherwise, I beleive you just lost all those points, as you wouldn't be able to book a stay with those points anymore.

At least that's how I understand it... Again, someone with more experience with this type of point use needs to chime in.

Disney likes to sell the flexibility of DVC but these nuances often don't come to light until they happen, and then it's too late.

Georgesgirl1
05-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I don't understand all the in and outs because I am just on my parents deed, but we have a December use year and have never had a problem. We even had to reschedule a trip using banked points during December when my great-grandmother passed away two day before we were scheduled to leave. They moved our trip back 5 days without any problems.

JPL
05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I have a December use year and no problems at all. The only thing to remember is you have to bank your points by July. And remember you can always borrow your points if you need to.

MinnieMommie
05-24-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't think you would have any problem at all. The use year ( for instance December) is when you collect each year's new allotment of points but you can book your home resort 11 months out from your vacation dates and you can book a vacation 7 months out for the other DVC resorts.