PDA

View Full Version : weird post.. can't sleep nervous about taking baby.. Just nervous in general

AmandaChan
05-24-2011, 07:21 AM
It is 07:15 AM and I have been awake since 4:45 am. I wake up in the middle of the night and I think about everything that I still need to do and I think about nearly every aspect of our trip all together.

We're taking our 1 year old and to be honest I am so freaking nervous about taking him! I know that thousands of people take their toddlers but there is so much planning involved...

For example: It's the rest of my family's first trip and I want to experience all the new things (fireworks) with them but honestly when it comes to things like that.. I would just rather take my baby back to the hotel so he can get some sleep (he sleeps about 9:30 pm until 7 or 8 am. I am so worried that we are not going to get him to bed until 11pm and we're going to make him get up at 7 am go to the parks (EMH a few days and the family wants to get their early and we want to get a good seat on the bus)

on top of that we're taking a lightweight stroller and I am nervous about not getting a seat on the bus while holding him and I am freaking out in general! btw rental car is not possibility at this stage with family..

I guess I just need some positive reinforcement from those who have taken toddlers specifically ones that are not walking/still babies. Mostly I need some tips when it comes to sticking to baby's schedule and I need some good examples of how your trip went good!

Thank you so much!

TheVBs
05-24-2011, 07:51 AM
I know this is easy for me to say but, don't worry! We've done this. The baby will sleep when he needs to. If you're out later and up early, he will nap throughout the day and may even sleep right through the fireworks.

If you're worried about standing on the bus with the baby and the stroller, just wait for a bus you're sure you can sit down on. On really busy nights we have just taken a seat on one of the benches, or even the ground, and waited for the lines to go down before we got in them.

Know that whatever your baby and family needs, you'll figure out how to make it work! :mickey:

Dulcee
05-24-2011, 07:56 AM
As toddlers we were always taken to the parks, and my sister took her's (and will do so again with her one year old in September).

Our parent's advice was always let the schedule go. If its ten minutes before firework time and your kiddo is awake and raring to go hang out and watch them. If its twenty minutes before your dinner reservation and a temper tantrum has struck, head back to the hotel and grab counterservice instead. If its 6 am and none of you want to move because you got in late, roll over for another hour.

What they found more than anything and what stood true when we took my sister's kids last year, is that most times they fell asleep in the strollers (we used light weight ones just like you) in the parks when tired and once they woke up they were ready to go again.

Try not to over think it or worry about things out of your control. But don't over plan things either. While you may have been go, go, go in the past you might find watching your toddler giggle over Mickey for twenty minutes far more satisfying then running to grab a fastpass or make a reservation.

mouseketeer mom
05-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Oh, you sound JUST like me when my kids were babies. I hardly ever deviated from schedule and thought the worst if I did. I worried about the sleep thing alot.
3 kids later.....He will do great. Babies are amazingly resilient. He will be entertained by the sights and sounds and probably do a whole lot of sleeping in the stroller. No..it won't be quiet sleeping like at home. But it is a very temporary change in schedule and he will do fine and then revert back to his usual schedule once at home. Promise. You need to let yourself deviate from the schedule and know that it will flow, he won't be aware of it as much as you will. He will sleep when need be. The only constant he needs is you, and you will be there. I can't tell you how much you sound like me. Pinky swear it will be ok.

mgmnut
05-24-2011, 09:10 AM
I'm with the other posters. Your son will be so stimulated by all the sights, sounds, and activities going on around him he is going to wear himself out and, pardon the pun, sleep like a baby.

As far as the bus, I know I always give up my seat for someone carrying a child, or and elderly person. I think you will find there are still good people out there, and if you end up on a packed bus, I think you still have a good chance of getting youself a seat.

Breathe in through, the nose..... hold it......out through the mouth......ahhhhhhhhh!!!!

Relax, everything is going to workout just fine. Your going on vacation to WDW. :mickey: You are going to have a wonderful time and come home with memories to last a lifetime.

buzznwoodysmom
05-24-2011, 09:16 AM
Everything will be fine. The first time we took our children our oldest was 2 and our youngest 9 months old. They were amazing in the parks. There is so much for them to see. We did stay out late a few nights and there were some early mornings, but with so much going on if they got tired they just slept in their strollers. It still is one of our trips I'm the most fond of! Go and enjoy this trip with your little one. Just remember that if you feel the baby needs a break your room is only a bus ride away. You'll know when its time to head out or if you can keep going with him. Have fun!

EpcotChic23
05-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I was in your same spot last year. I took my daughter who was one on her first trip to the world. I was so nervous. We just got back from the world last week and she is almost two and I was still nervous. My best advice is listen to your child. Twice we were on our way to dinner and she had a melt down we turned around to our resort and she fell asleep on the way there. They will let you know when they had enough. I saw Disney in a whole new light with my lo. It was magical. Have a great time.

vicster
05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
on top of that we're taking a lightweight stroller and I am nervous about not getting a seat on the bus while holding him and I am freaking out in general!

I personally would not let a parent stand on a bus while holding a child and my husband and I always give up our seat if one isn't available. I think a lot of people will do the same so I wouldn't worry about that. Otherwise, wait for the next bus.

You're going to worry yourself into not enjoying your vacation. Just go and have a wonderful vacation!

Frog
05-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Not sure how much you have planned out...
but to save some frustration, plan, but be ready to go with the flow and blow off plans as needed!
Babies sometimes have "agendas" of there own!

Georgesgirl1
05-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Our parent's advice was always let the schedule go. If its ten minutes before firework time and your kiddo is awake and raring to go hang out and watch them. If its twenty minutes before your dinner reservation and a temper tantrum has struck, head back to the hotel and grab counterservice instead. If its 6 am and none of you want to move because you got in late, roll over for another hour.

We have taken Myers to Disney twice, once at 6 months and once at 20 months, and this is the best advice some one can give you! I am normally the person who plans every little thing out, but with little kids you have to go with the flow! There were some days we stayed in the park for 12 hours straight, and other days that we didn't go into the park at all. We just took our clues from our LO.

Honestly, the trip when Myers was not yet walking was way easier than the trip when he was fully mobile! He was much happier to ride in the stroller at 6 months, while at 20 months he wanted to get down and walk all the time!

If you have a carrier like an Ergo or a Maya Wrap I would take that. We wore Myers a lot on both of our trips. One day, we didn't even take the stroller to the park and just took turns wearing him in the Ergo (and it was July, so it was HOT but it didn't bother us to much).

Also remember that if you forget something, the Baby Care Centers in the parks have basic supplies for sale (like diapers, baby food, sunscreen, bibs, etc.) While they are more expensive than buying them at Target, they weren't crazy expensive.

Have fun on your trip. I'm sure you will have a blast and then wonder why you were so stressed out before hand!

jodijo
05-24-2011, 12:17 PM
I think the most important thing is to not over plan. Like many have said, just go with the flow. We have been taking our kids to Disney since they were very little. We found that taking the kids back to the room for a nap was just what they needed to restart their engines. (At about age 5, they would say they wanted to go back and nap but went swimming instead. I think sometimes they just need a break from all of the stimulation!)

Also, do not feel like you have to stay with your family 24/7 on your vacation. I feel that you need to do what is best for you and your child. I think that leaving the family at the parks to go back and rest is fine. I know my family was much happier when I had a happy rested baby instead of a crying tired one. Just think of it as "Quality" time together, not just "Quantity!"

wdwaggie
05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Take a breath and think about enjoying yourself. We took our DS right around his first B-Day and his sister was 4. You'll be fine and the 1yo will be fine. DS slept when he wanted to, soaked in all the sights and had a blast as far as we could tell, never quite know what those little rascals are really thinking;) Assign someone stroller duty who knows how to quickly fold it, and have little one out with you ready to board when bus comes, get on and sit down with baby and save seat for stroller person. Don't stress too much over this.:thumbsup:

disney obsessed
05-24-2011, 02:41 PM
One of my favorite memories of my children is from the first trip we took to DW. My youngest was 1. She feel asleep in my arms on our first time on Pirates. Amazed me. They will sleep when they need to.

GottaLvDisney
05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
We took our DS when he was 10mo old. It was a fantastic trip & even though he won't remember it, he had a great time. I think the fact that he wasn't walking made it a bit easier since he really didn't mind being in the stroller, as opposed to the toddler that wants out to run around here & there.

I was also a bit worried beforehand about how he'd do in regards to his normal schedule being messed up, but it really wasn't a big deal. He didn't always get his naps at the normal time, but we made sure he did get them, and even when bedtime was a bit late and we had an early morning - he'd just nap in the stroller. I'm sure things will be great & afterwards you'll wonder why you were so worried (that's what I always do :))

Stitchahula
05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
BREATH! It will be fine. Your little one will sleep when he needs too in the stroller. As far as the bus goes, my last 2 times have been with strollers and little ones. People have been really nice giving up their seats if nothing left, and helping to hold the stroller if my little one was sleeping. I'm a worrier too so I understand, but you will figure out what works with you in a couple of days. Have fun!

kakn7294
05-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Been there, done that, and had one of the BEST trips ever! We learned early on to just go with the flow and let the baby dictate when we ate, rested, started out in the mornings, and came home at night. She was great and seeing Disney through the eyes of a 13 month old was fantastic. Don't stress and just have fun!

AmandaChan
05-26-2011, 11:12 PM
This was just what I needed! The more we watch videos online and stuff the more we get excited.. instead of worried. DH always tries to reassure me (especially about the bus situation - he tries to remind me that Disney is built for toddlers/kids)... It honestly feels so much better reading all of your comments!
We finally got a new lightweight stroller and I am feeling a lot better about it..

I showed my boy a video in full screen of It's a Small World and he cheesed out the whole time at the music and dolls... it made my heart flutter!

I am just going to go with the flow..

KylesMom
05-26-2011, 11:22 PM
This was just what I needed! I showed my boy a video in full screen of It's a Small World and he cheesed out the whole time at the music and dolls... it made my heart flutter! I am just going to go with the flow..

Now you've got "The Magic". Let it happen & you'll be the happiest mom on the planet! :mickey:

Buttercup
05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Been there, done that numerous times. :mickey:
Let the schedule go. Your kid is on vacation, just like you are! I'm sure when you're on vacation, you stay out later than you normally would, you don't eat at the same times you normally do at home, etc. So don't panic if the little one is not going to bed at the usual time and whatnot. Let them enjoy their vacation and the "treat" of experiencing things they normally wouldn't get to do at home! The schedule will work itself back out after the vacation.
As far as the bus goes, my husband is always on "stroller duty" on the buses, and I wrangle the kids off & on. DH doesn't mind standing in the aisle holding the stroller folded up if need be so that I can sit with the little ones. Plus, it sounds like you've got other family members going that I'm sure will help carry things on and off the buses. People are usually pretty obliging to give up their seat to a mom with a baby on a bus, so fear not! Things will work out just fine.
:thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
05-28-2011, 02:19 AM
When taking the buses back at night, remember: You can always wait for the next bus if the current one is too full. If you don't want to stand and don't want your kids to be endangered by standing (and then falling!), take a breath, take a stand, and say, "Yes, we're tired and want to get back to the room, but our kids' safety and my peace of mind is more valuable. So...we will wait for the next bus. Amen."

BrerGnat
05-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Be careful about "letting the schedule go". It can backfire horribly on you. If your baby is the type who needs a schedule, maintain it as best as you can at Disney. Be willing to be flexible and NOT accompany your entire extended family all the time. Take your leave of them as needed.

My advice would be: do what you do at home, at WDW. Don't push it with the late nights and early mornings. Let your baby's temperament be your guide. The truth is, your baby will not become a different person at WDW. It's not that magical. ;). He will be the same baby there that he is at home. Easy going babies at home do great at WDW. Difficult babies at home are still difficult on vacation, even at Disney.

One thing I would NOT stress about at all is the bus thing. It is much easier than you are imagining!

BrownEyedGrrl
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Two years ago, we took our eight month old foster son with us. I'd say, just relax for now, and be flexible when you get there. ;) I know that every child is different, but we just let our little guy crash on our shoulder or in the stroller whenever he needed to, and everything went so very well. We got back to our room late often, and was up early just as often. He adjusted. Does your stroller recline? If not, maybe you could take something (a small travel pillow with loops sewn on to secure to the stroller for example) to help make him more comfortable. Also be sure to have a good sun shade, to help him keep cool. We bought one of those detachable shades that extended out really far, and also rigged up a battery-powered fan to the back of the stroller. He was more comfortable than we were most of the time! :)
I can't speak to the bus situation, as we did drive to the parks each day. But, I know that in the past when we rode on the buses, I always saw someone willing to give up their seat to a momma lugging a little one. ;)
I think everything will go just fine, and you will make wonderful memories to pass on to your little man!