PDA

View Full Version : glassware smells after going through Dishwasher

caryrae
05-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Anyone else have a problem where their glassware has a fishy smell even after going through the dishwasher? It seems like it is not an uncommon thing. I found a lot of info on the internet but wanted to see what you guys think is a good way to fix it. I have read people saying to run Tang or lemonade kool-aid through it, check the filter and and clean if dirty, run bleach and vinegar through, use a dishwasher cleaner, do not use the heated dry option, etc.

So any ideas you guys have used that have worked let me know.

Oh yeah I also read that a repair man said the powder detergent is better then liquid because the liquid contains clay or something like that that could possibly clog some parts

garymacd
05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
All I can think of is to tell you to stop steaming salmon on a cedar plank in your dishwasher while cleaning the dishes.

;)

caryrae
05-24-2011, 05:23 PM
I got the idea from Everybody Loves Raymond when Raymond put the Thanksgiving fish in the dishwasher by accident.:)

meldan98
05-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Let me guess, you tried the recipie for the poached fish by dishwasher.

caryrae
05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Yup it cleans and steams the fish in on cycle.

It was strange when I did look this problem up on the internet how many people with the same problem popped up.

DizneyRox
05-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Everybody loves Raymond was a very popular show.

princessgirls
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
I think it must have something to do with your water.

I see the inside of some people's dishwashers when at their homes for a party or something that are a mess inside from the water. Hard water can really do a number on these appliances.

I always use since day 1 of having a dishwasher Electrolux detergent (powder) and Jet Dry, and I have never had anything but clean nice dishes.

Good luck!
Julie:mickey:

VWL Mom
05-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah I also read that a repair man said the powder detergent is better then liquid because the liquid contains clay or something like that that could possibly clog some parts

That's interesting, I would have thought the powdered would cause clogging over the liquid.

I would try running white vinegar though using the pot scrubber cycle to get rid of any smells. I've never used it in my dishwasher but have use it in my front load washer and it's worked well.

You might want throw some down your sink drain too if your dw is plumber through there.

dismommy
05-26-2011, 11:20 PM
I have this problem with my dishwasher and washing machine. The repair person told me it has to do with hard water deposits causing the machines to not dump all the water after a cycle so you end up with standing water inside the machine (you can't see it, but can smell it). I use bleach and vinegar or vinegar and arm and hammer to get rid of the smell- it works well, but needs to be done every month or so.

brownie
05-27-2011, 07:28 AM
I've never had this problem.

Put a cup of vinegar in some sort of container (I use a glass measuring cup) in the bottom of your otherwise empty dishwasher and run it through a standard cycle. You can turn off the heated dry for this. When that's done, run another cycle with dishwasher detergent. I do this 1-2 time a year.

Ed
05-27-2011, 09:09 PM
We had that problem once.

We stuck the cat in the dishwasher, and he caught a 7 pound bass lurking somewhere in there. :fish:

Problem solved. :D

Stich8818
05-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I found that lowes sells this cleaner for a dishwasher (and of course the name escapes me) you stick it in your silverware holder run a cycle and it will clean it up so good. Then I know for daily washings I use those Finish tablets are some of the best things to use..even with my water..which has calcium deposits really bad. Hope this helps

caryrae
05-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I found that lowes sells this cleaner for a dishwasher (and of course the name escapes me) you stick it in your silverware holder run a cycle and it will clean it up so good.

Do you think it was called Dishwasher Magic? I check the Lowes website and that's the only one it lists.

MNNHFLTX
05-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Another thing you can do is to not latch the door for a half a day or so after completing a wash. That way the moisture trapped inside the dishwasher can dry out and you won't to worry about mold or mildew forming (if that is contributing to the smell). We do this with our dishwasher and our front loading clothes washer and both always smell nice and fresh.

diz_girl
06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I've heard that lemon Kool-Aid works well too.