PDA

View Full Version : Spur of the moment dining

WDW1985
05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey everyone,

Here's a question for you regarding dining and an unplanned trip to WDW.

Normally I plan the dining way ahead but this time were going spur of the moment and reservations are severely lacking. What dining options are there that usually have openings during the week in the Magic Kingdom and Epcot other than the fast food areas?

Thanks for any help!

wdw1985 :mickey:

faline
05-23-2011, 04:36 PM
I've had fairly good luck with walking up just as the establishment is opening. You can also go to Guest Relations at the front of the park to determine what dining openings there may be that day. Occasionally, if things are really busy, they will put a billboard out front saying no dining reservations are available that day.

You can also try Kona Cafe at the Poly and the Grand Floridian Cafe at the Grand Floridian as they often are easier to get into on short notice.

EpcotFan182
05-23-2011, 04:40 PM
I remember for one trip we did a last-minute (as in same day) ADR for the Plaza Restaurant in the MK, so I would give that a try. I feel like because of it's location somewhat off the beaten path it kinda gets overlooked. For me there's nothing that particularly stands out about the restaurant, but the food was good and it's a nice place to sit and eat.:mickey:

wdwaggie
05-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Typically there is always room at the Biergarten in EPCOT, at least that's been my experience.

WDW1985
05-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Thanks! I always forget about Germany. I guess people aren't that crazy about sausage.

:D

Julie_Mouse
05-30-2011, 10:50 AM
I think Marrakesh in Morocco usually has openings :mickey:

VWL Mom
05-30-2011, 12:22 PM
We've had luck at Tutto Italia even during F&W. They told us they 20% of their tables for walk-ups.

ElenitaB
05-30-2011, 02:34 PM
The earlier or later you go during breakfast, lunch or dinner service, the more likely you will be to get a table. If you try during peak meal times, it will be way more difficult.

I also agree that the best thing is to go to Guest Services either at your resort or the park, to see what's available that day. We've had luck doing that. Also be sure to include the Epcot and MK resorts in your search. You won't get 'Ohana, but you might get into Kona, Grand Floridian Cafe, The Wave or Artist Point.

Good luck!

hauntedmansiongirl
05-30-2011, 08:30 PM
We've had last minute luck with:

Hollywood & Vine at DHS
Sci-Fi Diner at DHS
Biergarten at Epcot
Tutto Italia at Epcot
Les Chefs de France at Epcot
Rose & Crown at Epcot
Tony's Town Square at MK
The Plaza Restaurant at MK
The Wave at CR
Kona Cafe at Polynesian
Grand Floridian Cafe at GF
Yachtsman Steakhouse at YC
The restaurant at POR (the name is eluding me)

The place that we love that always seems to have availability is the Trails End Buffet at Fort Wilderness Campground. It is a smaller buffet but has great ribs, fried chicken, pizza, a carved meat of some kind and great desserts. :mickey:

Fastpasssteve
05-31-2011, 01:36 AM
I've had luck with:

The Biergarten in Germany
and
The San Angel Inn

Love these two places.

I also enjoy the Quick Service in Japan (Yakatori House)

and don't forget the Pub side The Rose and Crown. You can sometimes get in there when the restaurant side is full.

If it's later...after lunch...I've gotten into Chefs of France.

Melanie
05-31-2011, 07:01 AM
I can't say enough how much I LOVE the Walt Disney World mobile site and how easy it is to see what's available for dining on that day. Only catch - it has to be 2 hours prior to when you want to eat.

So...if you have a smart phone, go to the site, scroll to the bottom past the park tabs and it will say something like 'Make Dining Reservations - NEW!' You can then plug in date, number in party and what park, and it will give you options for what's available. You can also search a specific restaurant.

LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

Katzateer
05-31-2011, 08:49 AM
If you get to Crystal Palace first thing in the morning we have had luck. I agree that if you go right at the beginning of the serving time for lunch or breakfast you should have a chance.

Mickey'sGirl
05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
We have ALWAYS had spur of the moment success at both the Kona Cafe at the Poly, and at Olivia's at Old Key West.

I still want to try the Grand Floridian Cafe.

Melanie
05-31-2011, 09:40 AM
We have ALWAYS had spur of the moment success at both the Kona Cafe at the Poly,

Yes! Kona is always an easy one for us as well. Seems everyone is so focused on Ohana, which is good for sure, but they don't know what they are missing at Kona. ;)

EJS-Houston
05-31-2011, 10:30 AM
We've had consistently good luck going before the dinner rush to Mama Melrose's in Disney Hollywood Studios. We'd do an early dinner, say around 4/4:30, and then do a counter service snack later on.