PDA

View Full Version : HIgher Southwest Fares

Gocubs
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Looking for advice from anyone who might be able to help. We are taking a trip Oct 19-23. We have flown SW for years to MCO and always paid reasonable prices. Just this past fall we paid $89 one way.

Currently it is $164 for the flight to MCO, and $252 to return. I have never seen fares this high. I realize this may be permanent due to gas prices, mergers, etc.

Has anyone seen fare for their trips drop recently? Just wondering if these might be the best prices I will get.

princessjojo
05-22-2011, 10:24 AM
We purchased our SWA tickets once our vacation window opened with them, but only purchased 2 of our 4 tickets. Risky, yes, but we gambled, knowing that there would be 2 more seats available at the last minute should we wait that long. About 2 months before our actual travel time arrived, our price per ticket dropped from its original cost to $89 or $94, not quite sure what it was, but dropped substantially. I got the credit for the difference on the original 2 tickets and use this credit for the 2 new tickets we needed. A lot of hassel, I know, but we weren't sure when we would travel with them again and use the travel funds account. I just couldn't pay more when I knew I could get it cheaper later and save the money for the vacation.

faline
05-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Southwest has increased fares several times this year. If fuel prices come down, it is likely airfares will as well. However, if fuel prices go up, you can expect the same direction for air fares. I'd suggest looking at other airlines as well. At various time,s I've seen better airfares on Jet Blue than on Southwest recently.

Good luck!

DizneyRox
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I've gotten about $300 in travel credit from Southwest from our upcoming cruise flights. They may come down, all depends on how much SW wants to fill the planes. The economy is still in a bit of turmoil, so it's tough to say what will happen.

iloveokw
05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I am pretty sure that Southwest has now changed their policy on using Ticketless Travel funds requiring their being used only for the name on the ticket they came from. So you couldn't use them for another family member. Correct me if I am wrong.

princessjojo
05-22-2011, 08:02 PM
I am pretty sure that Southwest has now changed their policy on using Ticketless Travel funds requiring their being used only for the name on the ticket they came from. So you couldn't use them for another family member. Correct me if I am wrong.
I'm sure you're right. I may have purchased each person's ticket one way and used the funds to purchase their return ticket once rates came down. I'm positive you're correct, just now confused as to what I did. Maybe I should look back and check myself now....I do know however you cannot use ticketless travel funds to purchase Earlybird Checkin Services. They have to be paid directly with a credit card.

yensid retlaw
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I hear ya on that. We leave NJ at the end of June and have been watching SW, Spirit, and major carriers for months. All so very high and dont look like they will drop consistently. Since we need specific dates, I decided to lock in our flight last wk. The best I could do was $170 round trip w Spirit out of AC. Just didnt want to pay over $200. Not thrilled, but past trends arent there. Good luck. I would still keep my eye on it for a couple months. Maybe you'll get lucky.