PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Camera

Piglet822
05-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm looking for an easy to use, not too terribly expensive waterproof camera for our upcoming cruise.
I've looked at Canon and Olympus so far but, if anyone has any personal experience or insight they can share I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks!

Melanie
05-21-2011, 11:12 AM
No experience here, just wanted to say HEY JEANNE!!! :hi:

BrerGnat
05-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Jeanne, we have a Canon D10 camera that we LOVE! We took it to WDW last year and made some amazing videos and got lots of high quality pictures at Stormalong Bay and Blizzard Beach. The camera is very well made, impact resistant, and extremely user friendly.

The only cons I can think of are:

1. It's bulky. Definitely not a pocket camera
2. It is pricey. Around $300. Price has not dropped in over a year, which may be a testament to its popularity/quality.
3. The LCD display is kinda small, although perfectly adequate.

A great thing about it is the variety of different cables/cords you can attach, and the fact that all four corners of the camera are "open" to attachments, so there's lots of versatility, particularly if you''ll be doing water sports, this is a great feature.

We purchased ours via Amazon.

One of my best friends has an Olympus waterproof/impact proof camera. She likes it a lot, but I think the picture quality is WAY better on our Canon. One downfall to the Olympus (and some other brands, do the research!) is that you are required to send the camera in once a year to replace the waterproof seal in order to maintain the warranty. You have to pay for this, and it's not cheap. If you don't do it, and your camera's waterproof liner fails, too bad for you. The Canon does not have this requirement.

DisneyWFan
05-21-2011, 05:03 PM
I have the Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP 10 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Blue)
I bought it before we went to Disney in 2009 & I love it ! Its not too big so I can fit it in my pocket easily or throw it in my purse. It has good digital zoom too but I don't remember the power for the digital zoom. It was about $200 but definitely well worth it. It took great pictures both under water & above. It uses a
Li-ion battery NP-45 & it holds a charge well but I bought a back up just in case & it wasn't very expensive.

Hope this helps :)

Piglet822
05-22-2011, 09:21 PM
No experience here, just wanted to say HEY JEANNE!!! :hi:

Hi Mel :yay:
I'll bet you thought I lost my way, didn't you?

Piglet822
05-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely doing my homework but honestly don't know what to look for so any input is helpful
A friend of ours owns a photo and hobby store here in Orlando so we'll be talking to him as well.