PDA

View Full Version : Should I or Should I not

terri110874
05-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Help me decide should I go or not on an already paid for and plan trip. This is/was for me and my son (11) and bf. This may contain a little venting too.

I have paid for a trip in Aug for 10 days, airfare paid for, and 800 on Disney gift card. Here where things get messed up. On Thursday (on our 4yr anniversary), he decides he got a better offer without me and want us out of the house (mild verision). also he is not real dad... He said we can stay for up to 6 months while I get things in order. Find a place, get a car (sharing one now), and move back to RI.

I want to just cancel it and use funds for car (cheap running car). He said that he take of the rent for a few months so I can save. So I am thinking in a fews months I can leave. Since I have move up here I kinda lost touch with friends and family (it caused lots of problems with bf on me going to see friends or family) Over these 4 yrs basicly stayed home or went with him and that was it. So I cant ask anyone for help.

On the other hand I am want to go for the freedom aspect of it. Just go have fun and enjoy getting out with having to feel guilty for going out and not have a cell going off every hour to check on me. Since everything is paid for and we have the dining plan, I feel I can swing it. I know that my sons grandparents have some gift cards for him for Disney (birthday and easter)but I am not sure how much I will find out next week when we go up to see them.

please any advice with help me decide. Thanks in advance

Jillirose
05-21-2011, 09:11 AM
This is a difficult time for you, but it sounds that you and son will be better off.

I say, move ahead in life and concentrate on your son, who is 11, and won't be with you much longer. Make his adolescent years the best!

I would try to keep my promise to my son to take him to Disney, and let him decide who to bring in place of bf. Maybe grandparents will assist in helping this happen.

This is a fork in the road for you, and the present purchases the future! Think good thoughts and move forward into what is best for you and your son one step at a time.

akaDisneyDreamer
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm sorry, I know this is a really hard time for you, but since it's already paid for, I would take my son to Disney and enjoy spending that quality time with him. Make some good memories. He's already looking forward to it.

Did you buy insurance on the Disney package? If so, can you get back money for the third person who isn't going?

Are the airline tickets refundable? If they are, you could at least get the bf portion back perhaps?

If this trip is nonrefundable it would be a waste not to go! You could probably use a little Disney magic in your life. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I agree - you should go!

Especially if the trip is already paid for, take a friend or relative in place of the silly bf.

This will be a great time for you and your son to have a great time and just enjoying being together, without the stress of everything else.

However, if the trip will cause you to worry about your finances, and you can get $$ back, then maybe put it off a year and go then.

olivegirl
05-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I also agree with the previous post!!! Enjoy this time with your boy because before you know it he will be off on his own!!! Especially now that this is a rough time for you, it will be wonderful to get yourselves away and enjoy all the MAGIC Disney has to offer!!! Good Luck to you and your son!!! :)

BrerGnat
05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
This is a tough situation,and I'm sorry you are going through it. Hugs to you.

We all love WDW here. No question. However, I think the most important thing you can do for your son right now is provide for him. How will you provide for him and yourself in Rhode Island? Do you have a job prospect there? Where will you live? You need a car, so that needs to be a priority as well. Basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) should always come before any luxuries like vacations. While I can understand that a vacation is exactly what you need right now, it's also a frivolity that you can do without. I have to ask you, will you really enjoy a trip to WDW, knowing that everything is so unsure for the future?

Obviously, the $800 Disney Gift card can't be traded in for cash, so you can hang onto that. I'd look at that as a vacation fund you can build on for a FUTURE trip, one to celebrate your and DS independence. You will feel so much better when you take a trip that you can fully enjoy.

My advice would be to cancel the trip, recover as much money as you can, and use that to build your future. Airfare might be tricky. You might need to forfeit that one, but it would only be a couple hundred dollars vs. a couple thousand if you go ahead with the trip.

Tough call. Only you know all the details of your situation, and you need to decide what is the best thing for you and your son. Good luck!

beksy
05-23-2011, 04:12 AM
I think that all of the pp's had great input and I agree. This is a difficult time for you and for your son. After living with your ex for that long he probably is feeling some affects from the break-up too. This is a difficult time and the next few months will not be easy. Having a trip to look forward to could help you through these hard times. Also, it sounds like your son will be 12 on this trip and who knows how much longer he will want to go on trips with his mom or to WDW (those teen years are approaching!). I would say take the trip and enjoy it as a new start in life and a celebration of the progress you've made.

I can also see the other poster's opinion that the money could probably be better used on other things. You sound like you will find a way to make sure your son's needs are met. If this is going to be a problem, then I would re-think the trip. However, if you can save and get a car in time and meet all the other needs, go for it!

Another idea might be to cut back on the trip. I didn't notice where you were staying but maybe stay at a cheaper resort if you are not staying at a value and can get a refund for the difference? Or if you can get a refund for the difference, maybe you could go but for a shorter period of time? I would definitely try to get back your ex's portion of the trip. I think that you should be able to at least get part of it back and then have a Mom/son trip. Good luck with your decision and in your new life! :mickey: