PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Weekend Universal Pre-Trip Report

MizMissy
05-20-2011, 07:41 PM
I guess I can post a pre-trip report here? Here goes:

Immediate Cast:
Me – (3 years younger than DH) Loves Disney, can’t believe I’m going to Orlando without going to Disney, but will not complain and is happy just to be on vacation with my DH and kids.
DH – (44) – is “Disney’d out” … sigh … but he’s excited about the Universal trip with us and friends.
DD – (11) – thrill-seeker, loves Disney but gave me a “been there, done that” attitude about another Disney trip, loves Harry Potter (finished the books in record time this year after saying she would not like them for the last 3 or 4 years), is excited about experiencing Universal.
DS – (8) – also a thrill-seeker, loves Disney just like his mommy, loves Harry Potter (hasn’t read the books yet, but loves the movies), and is very excited about the trip to Universal.

When: reservations at Hard Rock Hotel, Friday, May 27, 2011, check out Tuesday May 31, 2011.
Parks: 4 day, park to park passes to Universal

A little back story: We have good friends who live in another part of the state. She is my darling Disney friend who took me on my first Disney trip and I went to Disney in 2006 with my DD, her and her youngest son and in 2008 with my DS, her and her youngest son. She and her husband have two older boys (HS and college age). Her family and a big group of their friends did a Universal trip a couple summers ago. When we were all together at Christmas, they were talking about another big group Universal trip at the end of the school year. We know a lot of their friends, but most of the kids are high school age, older than my kids or the friends’ youngest son. My DH agreed to go on the trip because they are a fun group to hang out with, but he did it on the condition of “No Disney.” (Sigh).

So, we are traveling with a bigger group than my immediate family. This is usually a “no-no” because I like vacations to focus on family, but these are very good friends, my kids and their youngest play so well together and are good friends, and it is not as if we are focusing on tackling the parks or restaurants as a big group. With the older kids, they will go their own way and we will probably meet up at the pool later afternoon.

Also, when we planned the trip, we were driving to Orlando on Thursday, May 26, and after leaving Orlando on the Tuesday, we were going to rent a beach house – maybe on Cape San Blas – to enjoy the rest of the week at the beach before returning home on Saturday/Sunday. However, at the end of April, I had a trial dropped on my desk scheduled for June 13. I was worried that I may have to fly in and out to meet up with my family for the trip. Instead, I will probably have to bring work with me and we will just drive home on the Tuesday. Short vacation. :( And, after that disappointment, my DH had to reschedule a cross-country work trip, leaving on the Thursday. Oh well, we hope to squeeze in a beach trip later in the summer.

Anyway, I thought I would do a pre-trip report for our Universal trip. Then, I realized, I have hotel reservations and I have park tickets, but nothing else! No plans for the parks, no dining reservations, nothing else. I started to panic. We are a week out from the trip. I called my friend in a panic. She knows Disney well, she knows me well, she knows how I plan Disney trips (typed index cards with park hours, general itinerary, dining reservations and confirmation numbers, other general information on show times including Wishes, Illuminations, and Fantasmic for each individual day). She tells me not to worry. “Universal is different. It is not Disney. You do not need plans.” Okay. I’m taking her word for it. I am trying not to panic.

Our “plans” are to hit the parks in the morning. I will make it to early park opening at least once to make sure we cover Harry Potter World. Spend lots of time at the pool at the Hard Rock – she says it’s a great pool. Also, she says the parks are so close, you can travel back and forth fairly easily. Not sure what our plans are for dining. My DF said that last time they ate at the hotel, mostly by the pool most evenings. Well, my DH is “high maintenance” and enjoys fine dining. I doubt “eating at the pool” will fly with him more than once. This worries me a bit. The “what’s for dinner” question can be stressful for me and everyone else. We shall see.

This is different for me. Personally, I am devastated thinking about traveling all the way to Orlando and not going near the Happiest Place on Earth. I even considered making ADRs at California Grill or maybe Flying Fish at the Boardwalk, but I think that may bring even more disappointment – being so close, but not being able to go in. However, I love my family, I love vacation time with my kids, and we are traveling with a fun group. I know it will be a great trip. My kids are absolute thrill junkies, I know they will have so much fun at Universal – and having front of the line access to most of the rides will be a treat. My only concern is that I cannot do simulator rides, but I am determined to tackle Forbidden Journey. I may take Bonine before going to the park that morning.

Anyway, less than one week away! I will try to post trip reports when I return, but work will be crazy and it may not be possible.

NJGIRL
05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
I'll try this again.:D

He has good reason to be excited. Universal is great fun.

Your friend is right. Universal planning is easy, it is stress free. You don't have to plan 6 months in advance in order to eat a meal. We still make reservations 30 days in advance but usually don't need them.

She is also right about how close the hotels are to the parks. It is so easy that I bet everytime you are on a Disney bus for now on you will be wishing that they set up their parks and hotels like Universal did. Hard Rock is less than a five minute walk to the Studio's. No transporation needed for either park.

I would take medication before the FJ if you are sensitive. That way you will not ruin your day feeling sick.

Just remember FJ & RRRC do not have front of the line access. The day you want to ride FJ take advantage of getting into the park an hour earlier than non hotel guests.