PDA

View Full Version : How to tip with a dining plan

gregf71
05-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I know that the gratuity is not included with the dining plan, so how do you leave it? Should we make sure to have cash set aside for it or can you have it charged to your WDW room account? If the later, how does that work exactly? What do you tell the server? I assume that we will see an itemized bill with a total so that we can calculate the proper gratuity. Is that correct?

Inquiring minds want to know> :mickey:

Strmchsr
05-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Both options you listed are ok. You can leave cash or charge to your room. Yes, you receive an itemized bill with the total on it whether you are on the DDP or not. The bill even has suggested gratuity (18% and 20%) already calculated on it for you. You can give cash or tell the CM you want to charge the gratuity to your room.

whitney37354
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I was confused on this before our trip as well. I didn't tell the CM at our first dinner that I wanted to put the tip on the KTTW card. She just took the ticket back and fixed it for us. After that, I always told them I wanted to put the tip on our KTTW and had no problems.

idreamofdisney
05-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm new to all the abbreviations. Key to the world would be my guess..

buzznwoodysmom
05-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Do make sure that if you leave cash to check your balance on your account at your resort. I've read about people leaving cash for tips, but their KTTW card also being charged for the tip.

mickeyman42
05-21-2011, 07:58 AM
I either charge it on the KTTW card or a credit card, don't usually have much cash in my pocket by dinner time!

akaDisneyDreamer
05-21-2011, 10:19 AM
I always drew a line through the suggested tip on the bill when leaving cash (my preference). Never had a problem with them charging the tip to my room when I did that. I have read about that happening here on the boards and I wonder if the waiters just wrote it in on the recipt if the tip line was still available? However I'm not sure what they would have done about the signature?

On the occasions when I didn't have cash for a tip, I would write it in on the bill, but I didn't tell them what to do with it because I figured it obviously doesn't come out of your dining plan. I'm certain I had to sign two tickets, one for the dining plan and one for the tip being charged to my room key.

Have fun! Eat well! There's lots of delicious food at Disney World!

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2011, 11:05 PM
1) The WDW bill recommends 18%.
2) We tip the American standards
. . . 5%-15% for mediocre service
. . . 15% for good service
. . . 18% for exceptional service
3) Just because it is Disney, it doesn't mean an automatic 18% or 20%.

spoiledraf
05-22-2011, 06:23 AM
1) The WDW bill recommends 18%.
2) We tip the American standards
. . . 5%-15% for mediocre service
. . . 15% for good service
. . . 18% for exceptional service
3) Just because it is Disney, it doesn't mean an automatic 18% or 20%.

I agree. The prices are high enough. If the server "earns" the higher tip, he/she will get it, but I'm not getting sucked into that predetermined tip. Some of the older servers who we have had for years are a bit ho hum in their duties, including one at the Yachtsman being on the side of arrogant, and he won't get anything he doesn't earn. jmo

Scar
05-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm new to all the abbreviations. Key to the world would be my guess..Correct.

Many abbreviations can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/abbreviations/default.asp), although that one is not there.