PDA

View Full Version : Locks of Love

Disney4us2
05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
My daughter's school is having a Locks of Love event at her school next week. She wants to donate her hair. It is down to her butt right now. I am all for it if she really want's to do it. She loves her long hair, but only wears it in a single braid presently. This event is at lunch time. I just don't want them cutting her hair and then go to the salon later for a fix up. I will be calling the school later about that info.

Has anyone donated to Locks of Love? Any experiences to share?

KylesMom
05-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Actually, one of my SIL's is a stylist and is called upon to assist with Locks of Love events. Typically you will have professional stylists who are familiar with the protocol & will style the donor's hair after it is cut according to their liking.

I would definitely make certain if your daughter is doing this she knows what style she's looking for post-cut. Otherwise you may be going back to the salon for a re-shaping!

It's a very touching and worthwhile organization - hats off to your daughter for wanting to give to others. :mickey:

An an afterthought, I would definitely call the school to ensure that they have a crew of professional stylists coming in to donate their time - and not the home ec teacher or something. :)

BrerGnat
05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Another option might be to go to your preferred salon, and let them know you want to donate the hair. They usually cut it off after it's been braided anyway, and then your daughter can simply take it to school to donate on that day. That way, she can have her hair re-cut at the salon beforehand.

kakn7294
05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly, Locks of Love is not the organization that they present themselves to be. It's true that they do provide wigs for children who have lost their hair due to illness or treatment for illness but having a daughter with Alopecia (an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss), I can tell you that they do not provide those wigs free of charge in many cases. Instead, they charge based on ability to pay (I have no problem with that) but what they do charge is outrageous. My daughter has not fully lost her hair but it is thin enough that she likes to wear a wig. We purchased a human hair wig for her through a local reputable salon for $800 at full cost. The same wig through Locks of Love would be $3000 - $4000 at full cost. In my daughter's case, they would not even provide us with a human hair wig - it would have been synthetic hair, not great for children (think of a Barbie doll after a few weeks) - because she's not fully bald. There are other organizations out there that do the same thing for free if you have the time to research them. It's still a good cause but just not what most people think.

Disney4us2
05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Honestly, Locks of Love is not the organization that they present themselves to be. It's true that they do provide wigs for children who have lost their hair due to illness or treatment for illness but having a daughter with Alopecia (an autoimmune disease that causes hair loss), I can tell you that they do not provide those wigs free of charge in many cases. Instead, they charge based on ability to pay (I have no problem with that) but what they do charge is outrageous. My daughter has not fully lost her hair but it is thin enough that she likes to wear a wig. We purchased a human hair wig for her through a local reputable salon for $800 at full cost. The same wig through Locks of Love would be $3000 - $4000 at full cost. In my daughter's case, they would not even provide us with a human hair wig - it would have been synthetic hair, not great for children (think of a Barbie doll after a few weeks) - because she's not fully bald. There are other organizations out there that do the same thing for free if you have the time to research them. It's still a good cause but just not what most people think.

I have heard the same thing as well as other things from one of the mom's in my DD's girl scout troop.

That is why I put it out here to see what other's have heard. I can't remember the group my friend donated to, but it was not Locks of Love.

clausjo
05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
Wow! That's good to know! Two of my nephews have donated to Locks of Love in the past. They grew their hair out so long and then donated it. My nephew that is graduating next week is donating again at my neice's school. I didn't know they charged that much for the wigs - that's a bit extreme!

Disney4us2
05-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Just got the info from my DD. The flyer is promoting two organizations: Locks of Love and Pantene Beautiful Lenghts (that is the one my friend donated to).

The hair will be cut by licensed hair stylists and providing very minimal hair trimming.

If Jessica does donate it will be to the Pantene Beautiful Lenghts. They only require a minimum of 8 inches of hair, while Locks of Love requires 10 inches of hair. I at least want my DD's hair to be past her shoulders so it can be put into a ponytail.

Has anyone heard anything about Pantene Beautiful Lengths?

kakn7294
05-19-2011, 11:09 PM
The Pantene program is supposed to provide their wigs at no charge to their clients although I believe that they do so only for adult women. Still, I think it's the better program.

I do want to thank all of you who do donate your hair to create human hair wigs. It takes about 6 people to donate in order to make 1 wig. For those of us who have benefitted from those who donate, we appreciate it very much!

PirateLover
05-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I am sad to hear that about Locks of Love. I've donated my hair twice. Many salons give you a cut and style free of charge when you donate. I can't believe they are selling wigs for that much to people in need. It seems shady.

ann0d
05-20-2011, 04:27 PM
My daughter did it once. We went to a hairdresser, it made her feel so wonderful inside, she is a very caring person and today she is all grown up and a nurse, plus a wonderful mother. It is great your daughter wants to do that. But I would be prepared to take her to a salon afterwards, just in case. I am sure they will try to do a good job though.

kakn7294
05-20-2011, 05:02 PM
For those interested, there are other organizations out there who do provide wigs for free. The Pantene one mentioned provides them free for adult women. Wigs for Kids provides wigs free for children under 18. You can also do a google search or contact those organizations involved with cancer and alopecia to find others. Again, those of us who have received human hair wigs appreciate it very much. Ours has made such a difference in my daughter's life.

TheVBs
05-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Good to know! I have a friend who's daughter wants to donate her hair. I'll make sure to pass all this info on to them.

mgmnut
05-22-2011, 06:43 AM
My sister has grown out her hair and donated to Locks of Love a couple of times. It's a shame to hear they mis-represent themselves like that. I thought the wigs went to needy people at no cost. If they sell wigs for that much, are they really considered a charitable organization?

There is a teen in my son and daughters martial arts class. This kid has the curliest hair. He grew his hair out for over a year until he had this big mass of curly hair on his head. He then participated in a fund raiser where they asked for donations to go towards cancer research. In turn the participants would have thier head publicly shaved at a final event. This kid grew his hair out like that just to do an event like this. With that big mass of hair people were donating left and right to see it get shaved off and he raised a ton of money.

It so beautiful to see people, especially kids/teens, who make sacirifices, and selflesly fund raise to support deserving causes. People who look for nothing in return but the knowledge they have made a positive impact on someone who may be going through a very scary, difficult, and emotionally draining stage in their life.

You should be very proud of your daughter for having such compasion for others to want to help.

Disney4us2
05-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Today was the big day. Jessica did donate her hair to Pantene Beautiful Lennghts.

It was at lunch time at school. All the kids were watching and cheering on all those kids, teachers, and parents who donated.

Before she donated she was too nervous and excited so she never ate her lunch. When it was her turn she just sat down and snip snip it was done. She ended up donating over 12 inches of hair. Her hair now is just past her shoulders. It was cute when she commented on how light her head feels now.

She was so proud and smiling. I can tell she was proud that she donated and I am proud of her for doing so. It was kind of bitter sweet for me. The last time I cut her hair was when she was in kindergarten, she is now in 5th grade. All the kids who donated really beaming. Even one boy donated his locks.

I am glad she was able to participate in such a worthy event.

kakn7294
05-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Tell her that an 11 year old girl who has received just such a wig and her mother thank her!

mgmnut
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Today was the big day. Jessica did donate her hair to Pantene Beautiful Lennghts.

She was so proud and smiling. I can tell she was proud that she donated and I am proud of her for doing so.

I am glad she was able to participate in such a worthy event.

Yay Jessica!!! :number1:

princessgirls
05-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah Jessica!!! So glad she was able to give up her long hair for a worthy cause!!!!

Thanks!
Julie:mickey:

Disney4us2
05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
I would love to put Jessica's donation pics here but can't get them loaded to photobucket. I have them on Twitter if you have an account , I am @Disney4us2