PDA

View Full Version : STAYING at POP

waymickey
05-19-2011, 09:53 AM
I am staying at POP for the first time and getting really worried after reading reviews on other sites. I know any resort is what you make of it but is it as bad as they say? We usually stay at the WL but are cutting costs this trip since we are piggy backing a Disney Cruise. Anyone been there in the past two months? Any problems or great experieinces. We are going in August for 4 days.

disneymomma2010
05-19-2011, 10:12 AM
From my experience and from what I have heard from others pop is the best value.

Madame Leona
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
POP has become my favorite resort. For the amount you are spending, it is perfect. I LOVE the pools, kiddie area, food court and even the room. We stayed there in Sept and I had no complaints at all.

Sweetpea29488
05-19-2011, 10:21 AM
We've stayed at Pop at least 5 times and going back in less than 2 weeks for our 6th. We love staying here.

SuzieBell
05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I haven't been in the last couple months, but for value I will always stay at POP! We love it! You're going to always have some people give bad reviews. You have to look past that. Some people complain over everything. If I had not been saving for 3 years, we would be staying there again! I just wanted to upgrade to a Mod (in 20 days!!) We consider POP our home! You can't beat those huge icons! Always requested 90 buldings near the computer pool. Short walk to food court and busses. And Pop is the only value that has it's own bus. Have fun!!

disneymom15
05-19-2011, 10:30 AM
No complaints from me either. We've stayed countless times and never really had any bad experiences. Pop recently under went refurbishments, so I wouldn't worry at all.

TiggerDeb
05-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Since POP opened we have stayed there 4 times and are staying there again this September. We love it and according to Birnbaums Guide to Disney the resort is the best value and the food court has been rated one of the best. Do not worry... Enjoy your trip.:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Just try to adjust your expectations. If you're used to the WL, go knowing that Pop is NOT the WL. Not in any way. For what it is, it's not bad, but it's a completely different experience. My personal opinion of Pop is sort of negative. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say I'm done staying at the Values for good. It's just not enjoyable to me anymore. Too much about it aggravates me (I must be getting old!).

But, you are going on a Disney cruise! And, THAT will be fabulous, so I think a couple days at Pop won't be too bad. ;)

Expect loudness, crowds, and a food court that is quite chaotic and sometimes messy. Expect long bus lines exposed to the elements. Knowledge is power. As long as you know what CAN be, you won't be too upset when you experience it. I think the people who have really negative things to say about the values really go in with too high of expectations. They think because it's Disney, it will be utopia. It's just not. The values are really nicely themed motels. That is all.

retiredfigment
05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
We have stayed at many resorts including several times at WL. Except for my ability to get lost several times due to size, I LOVED POP. Food Court - ate at resort more than usual. Transportation - best ever! Room size - smaller, but who stays very long in the room! Ambience - fun! We were going back to WL on next trip, but if we can save $$$ and go longer, POP it is!!!

GothMickey
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
I am staying at POP for the first time and getting really worried after reading reviews on other sites. I know any resort is what you make of it but is it as bad as they say? We usually stay at the WL but are cutting costs this trip since we are piggy backing a Disney Cruise. Anyone been there in the past two months? Any problems or great experieinces. We are going in August for 4 days.

I am curious to read these bad reviews. Can you PM me where you read them?

Pop Century is an awesome value resort, much better than those All-Stars. Just do not think you are walking into deluxe resort accommodations. Take into considertion, though, there are many doomers and gloomers in the Disney online community. They have their own agenda to hate everything and like nothing. Always consider the source, then form your own opinions from your own experiences.

McLiberal8
05-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Since POP opened we have stayed there 4 times and are staying there again this September.

Me too! Maybe I will see ya there! :thumbsup:

waymickey
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I did not request a year building I don't think. I just asked for non preferred facing the lake. I thought it might be quieter. The reviews I read mostly complained about noise in the rooms and food court. did anyone find the rooms very noisy or the food court that bad.

We don't mind walking and are looking forward to exploring a new resort. I heard that there is a triva walk or something?
Thanks for the replies, It made me more comfortable about my choice.

btharvey
05-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I am curious to read these bad reviews. Can you PM me where you read them?

Likewise, I'd like to read them, so please PM me as well. I'll wager the expectation was for much more luxurious (I've never stayed at a Value, but I am contemplating it for our visit after this year ... the pools look outrageous, and not much more crowed than Fort Wilderness, which is basically a big rectangle with a small slide.

BrerGnat
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I did not request a year building I don't think. I just asked for non preferred facing the lake. I thought it might be quieter. The reviews I read mostly complained about noise in the rooms and food court. did anyone find the rooms very noisy or the food court that bad.

The rooms are noisy from the INSIDE. The walls are thin. You can hear your neighbor's toilets flushing, people coughing and talking, and the housekeepers vacuuming early in the morning, etc. Being out back by the lake, you will likely hear construction noise from the Art of Animation resort across the way. If you're not in your room much during the day, it won't be a problem.

The food court can be really good or really annoying, depending on when you go. If you can avoid the most common mealtimes, and eat either early or late, you will have a better experience. Messiness is due mostly to the other guests, so everyone had somewhat different experiences. The actual food court food is very good, for the most part. I had no complaints about the food or selection there.

brownie
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
We enjoyed our stay at Pop Century last November/December. We liked the theming, our room was good and in good repair, and the property was well maintained. It was not busy at the resort. Noise was not a problem in our room, though I don't think many of the rooms around us were occupied.

Our only complaint was the bus service. We had our own vehicle which we used most of the time. One the couple occasions where we did use the buses, we had to wait a long time for a bus.

We had breakfast at Everything Pop almost every morning. It was busy but never really crowded. It was less busy when we went early. We enjoyed the food and really liked the sundaes (great value for a snack credit.)

I would not say Pop Century is a bad resort. We would be happy to stay there again.

Suzi Q
05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
My favorite resort is pop - just got back (April 29-May 8) - had a wonderful time, great room, great service...two favorites at the food court: the breakfast wrap...and the mom's night out turkey dinner, yum yum...!

micky95
05-20-2011, 07:45 AM
The rooms are noisy from the INSIDE. The walls are thin. You can hear your neighbor's toilets flushing, people coughing and talking, and the housekeepers vacuuming early in the morning, etc. Being out back by the lake, you will likely hear construction noise from the Art of Animation resort across the way. If you're not in your room much during the day, it won't be a problem.

The food court can be really good or really annoying, depending on when you go. If you can avoid the most common mealtimes, and eat either early or late, you will have a better experience. Messiness is due mostly to the other guests, so everyone had somewhat different experiences. The actual food court food is very good, for the most part. I had no complaints about the food or selection there.

i'm curious as to what has you so down on POP.we only stay there. we've been at peak season and off season and we love it.yes the food court can be noisey and busy but i've never seen chaotic. a little messy? no worse than any other food court at disney.the noise inside your room is manageable.yes you can hear showers running & toilets flushing but its not bad enough to ruin your stay.the only outside noise i hear are people walking by talking or housekeeping with their carts.Bus service to me is the best at POP .they dont share with other resorts (allstars share a bus except at closing sometimes)long lines leaving the resort depends on what time you leave and which park your going to,but it's disney expect to wait in lines your whole trip.but i have seen extremely long lines for the bus at closing time at MK (we'll never do that again) My dw & i have gone resort hopping to see the christmas decorations at the deluxe resorts and that was the worst bus service ever.finally a value resort is not a deluxe so dont expect the same vibe.the deluxes seem more prim & proper while the values are laid back and fun. everyone has their opinion and mine is POP is the best.:mickey:

Daisy'sMom
05-20-2011, 07:52 AM
We also stay at POP all the time. We are former deluxe but saw the light and the money and now only stay POP.
I don't understand some that look down at the values. How silly. It's like a neighbor of mine that drives 7 miles out of her way to save 4 cents on a gallon of milk.:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
It's not that I look down on the values at all. I don't. I've stayed at every one of them, except AS Sports, in the past.

My issues are more personal in nature. I have extremely sensitive hearing. I cannot sleep with ANY noise at all. My trip to Pop, I ended up with a terrible migraine, and all I wanted to do was get some good sleep. The noise in the room, outside the room, etc. just kept me up all night. I even had earplugs, and I could still hear all the noise. With a migraine, noise aggravates it more, and I felt tortured trying to sleep at Pop. I've had migraines at other resorts, and many Disney ones, and Pop was the only one that was so loud I could literally not sleep. Plus the bed was SO hard and bouncy...extremely difficult to get comfortable on.

The rest of my stay, everything just rubbed me the wrong way. The noise in Everything Pop was deafening to me. Almost made my migraine come back. It was SO hot and sunny, and having to stand in bus lines outside with no cover was killing me. Then, I just had HORRIBLE bus service for 4 days there. By the end of the stay, I was wishing I had spent the extra money to be at the nice, dark, quiet Wilderness Lodge.

That horrible long weekend really soured me on the Values altogether. I realized that I want more out of my vacations. I need relaxation and comfort, and the Values lack both, in my opinion.

PopPhan
05-20-2011, 11:27 AM

We don't mind walking and are looking forward to exploring a new resort. I heard that there is a triva walk or something?
Thanks for the replies, It made me more comfortable about my choice.

If you were to request a room facing the lake, I would suggest a room in the 50's building -- Building 3. It is NOT a "preferred" location, so is a bit less expensive and only a minute or so more of a walk.

Yes, there is a path, starting at the 50's parking lot, referred to as "Memory Lane." It has periodic posts with questions on one side, with the answers on the back. (If you do the walk from the 90's parking lot, you see the answers first!! LOL) This also gives you a great look at and across Hourglass Lake and a view of the construction for the Art of Animation Resort.

Make sure you take a little time and walk across the Generation Gap Bridge, as it gives even better views of the lake (and sometimes you will see the big turtles swimming around) and will be the path between the two resorts, once AoAR is open.

Rosemickey68
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
We've stayed at Pop twice and we love it! Like some of the other posters said....it really depends on what you want out of your resort and it looks like you are wanting to save money this trip so I think Pop is a great choice!!

The food court is almost always busy, but they move the lines quick and the food is pretty good.

The rooms are a basic sized hotel room, 2 double beds and they are comfortable.
The only noise we ever heard was if someone came back later to their room than we did...you could hear their door shut. It is a big, spread out resort (most WDW resorts are anyway!), however there are shortcuts (like cutting through the parking lot) if you just look at the map. It's fun to look at all the Huge Disney Deco!
Bus service- they have their own bus, not like other resorts that pick up 2 or 3 resorts. I don't think we ever waited more than 20 minutes for a bus. At park closing time, it seems like the buses come at quicker intervals to get everybody back to the hotel.

We stayed at All Star Movies before, we really did like it, the only draw back to us was the buses because they picked up AS Music and AS Sports as well.
So we tried Pop and loved it!!
Hope you have a great trip!!!:mickey:

micky95
05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
It's not that I look down on the values at all. I don't. I've stayed at every one of them, except AS Sports, in the past.

My issues are more personal in nature. I have extremely sensitive hearing. I cannot sleep with ANY noise at all. My trip to Pop, I ended up with a terrible migraine, and all I wanted to do was get some good sleep. The noise in the room, outside the room, etc. just kept me up all night. I even had earplugs, and I could still hear all the noise. With a migraine, noise aggravates it more, and I felt tortured trying to sleep at Pop. I've had migraines at other resorts, and many Disney ones, and Pop was the only one that was so loud I could literally not sleep. Plus the bed was SO hard and bouncy...extremely difficult to get comfortable on.

The rest of my stay, everything just rubbed me the wrong way. The noise in Everything Pop was deafening to me. Almost made my migraine come back. It was SO hot and sunny, and having to stand in bus lines outside with no cover was killing me. Then, I just had HORRIBLE bus service for 4 days there. By the end of the stay, I was wishing I had spent the extra money to be at the nice, dark, quiet Wilderness Lodge.

That horrible long weekend really soured me on the Values altogether. I realized that I want more out of my vacations. I need relaxation and comfort, and the Values lack both, in my opinion.

i understand your medical condition & your need for quiet to sleep.one bad situation can make everything miserable and POP is definitely not for you.my brothers suffers from migraines and at some family gatherings he has to leave because of the noise.hope everything gets better for you.:thumbsup:

Tink#64
05-22-2011, 01:13 AM
We've been staying at Pop since it opened & we love it! We really enjoy the fun atmosphere & we prefer to spend our money on all of the other things WDW has to offer rather than for a bed to sleep in and the pool we enjoy a couple of hours everyday.

For us PC meets our needs, but some people want or expect more and are disappointed after staying mod or deluxe. You would definitely have to have the right mindset not to compare to those more expensive resorts. We've truly never experienced any problems with noise, and the only time I found PC to feel crowded was Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. PC is a big resort, but I don't think it's hard to navigate & I've never gotten lost. For the money I think Pop is excellent, and can't wait to be back in our WDW "home" in 5 weeks! :thumbsup:

waymickey
06-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I will definately take the walk across the bridge. I hope the turtles are there to see.

I ,however hope that the bedbugs I am reading about are not! I goggled bed bugs at disney and POP came up over and over again. I am still going but I am going to check like crazy. I do not want to be a meal for icky little parasites:ack:! I heard to bring something sticky so that when you see the bugs you can stick them to it and bring the proof with you to the front desk.
Is that going too far???

Scar
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I heard to bring something sticky so that when you see the bugs you can stick them to it and bring the proof with you to the front desk.
Is that going too far???No, it's not going too far. The front desk a quick walk from even the farthest building. ;)

darthmacho
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Pop is very popular here. I'm sure you'll have a good time. I might try it next year, but I prefer the theming of the ASMu better. :mickey:

Imagineer1981
06-06-2011, 03:36 PM
we have stayed at pop multiple times and everytime its been a good experience. Its not the Beach Club which we love, but its still a Disney Resort, with Disney CMs and not an outside resort with bad buses and the commuting hassle of I-4 or Osceola Parkway.

MuchLovedMama
06-09-2011, 12:11 PM
We love POP. Stayed there for the first time in 2008 and went back in 2010 and if we can't try out the Art of Animation resort in 2012 we'll be going back to POP. We love the food court and the pools. The bus system has always been great too. The only other Disney resort we've stayed at is CBR and that was in 2000. We didn't like CBR at all. If CBR was offered to me at POP prices I'd still select POP any day. I think you'll like it. :thumbsup:

ryca1dreams
06-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I like Pop for many reasons - theming, location, price, layout. However, BrerGnat mentioned the noise and even in the off-season the food court area gets pretty loud and crowded. Other than that, I never really found it too crowded-feeling or very noisy in the rooms. But, like I said this was the off-season (September and October)