PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans recommendations?

magicalmom
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
We're headed to New Orleans this summer, and I'm wondering if any Intercotees have recommendations for

1) off-beat attractions or places to go (that wouldn't come up in guidebooks or tourist websites) and

2) my kids love ghost tours, and I like the history you often hear with them. Is there a reliably good one we could take?

Many thanks -

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2011, 04:50 PM
We were just in New Orleans for a short weekend in April. We had military obligations so we didn't have all our time to do what we wanted. We had our two kids with us, ages 11 and 9. We've been to New Orleans many times before and my kids have enjoyed everything we've done. They love the Aquarium, the riverwalk, the WWII Museum, the French Quarter, visiting the Cathedral, taking a horse and buggy tour, pretty much anything you can find in the French Quarter they've enjoyed. The wax museum is a favorite. In April we saw these little two seater "cars" you can rent for tours. My kids wanted to rent those so bad, but we didn't have time. We also did the Insectarium and they liked it, you can even taste food made with bugs, gross, but kids seemed to love it. You have to eat breakfast at Cafe de Monde, and my kids love having a meal at Margaritaville, with a trip through the French Market after. We had a great meal at ACME oyster house, but the line is always out the door flowing down the sidewalk, but worth the wait. We also love Cafe Maspero's, and for good cajun fun and food try Mulate's. There are so many great places to eat I can't think of them all. We have never done a ghost tour, but I've seen tours of the cemetary advertised. There is also the zoo, Imax theater, and riverboat rides and dinners. If you have time you could also venture out and do one of the plantation home tours, or a swamp airboat tour. I'm sure there are tons of things I'm forgetting. Have fun!

MarkC
05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
There is a haunted walking tour-- it starts right across the street from Preservation Hall but I don't know the store name.

Preservation Hall is one of my favorite spot anywhere and a piece of American musical history that should not be missed.

Ride the St. Charles street car all the way to end through the garden district.

As Buzz said above, Acme Oyster House and Cafe Du Monde are musts as well. You can also take a riverboat cruise down the mighty/muddy Mississippi.

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about the street car. Gotta ride a street car.

magicalmom
05-18-2011, 10:00 PM
We're really looking forward to this trip, and all the great suggestions make it sound better and better - thank you!

kdbianchini
05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
I am originally from the New Orleans area and was usually in the French Quarter every weekend. Like the previous poster mentioned, Cafe Masparos and Acme are really good. I also enjoy Landry's. Just walking along the river is always enjoyable. The aquarium and the zoo are the best. You should also take a drive to the Lakefront, it's very relaxing to watch the boats in the water. A ride on the Natchez would be really fun as well.

crltkcagle
05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
The french market is a really fun place to shop. So you must check that out. Also for kids we have the insectarium, the aquarium, the Audubon zoo (which just opened a mini water park) and the wax museum. There is also Mardi Gras world that kids can enjoy. There are many little museums all throughout the area of Jackson Square too. I work in the mall downtown at Canal Place at Blue Alligator Designs. We have a movie theater upstairs that is also a restaurant. No one under 18 is allowed in but its really nice for adults. You sit down to a really good meal and watch a movie. Just an idea in case you want to get away for a bit without the kids.

As far as haunted tours go they are everywhere. Be sure to take the kids to visit Marie Laveau's gravesite. She is the Queen Witch of New Orleans. And legend has it if you place three x's on her grave sand ask her for a favor she will grant it. Her tomb is located in St.Louis Cemetery #1. If I can think of anything else I will let you know.

magicalmom
05-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Great ideas - thank you all! I'll print out the whole thread and bring it along - Kelly, I hadn't thought about adult night out - that would be so nice! Thank you for the suggestion -

CynBeth
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't know if this would interest you or not but a few years ago we went for a weekend and in addition to what has already been mentioned we took a swamp tour. I think it was about an hour long and a lot of gators came up to our boat. I think we were picked up at our hotel. We enjoyed it.

awaggett
05-26-2011, 01:56 PM
We did a walking ghost tour there last fall--it started somewhere near Jackson Square--it was great, sorry I don't have more info! I'd also definitely recommend Acme Oyster and Cafe du Monde. Also, you should check out The Grocery for the original muffeletta--one is so big 3 or so folks could share!

Stevadore
07-10-2011, 05:47 PM
We have been to N.O. five times in the last 15 yrs. Probably the most historicaly rich city in the South.
The insectarium was new when we went a couple yrs ago. Kid's love it. Mother's Cafe is just west of the French Quarter and is a favorite w/locals. No reservations and stand in a caffeteria style serving line. We stayed a week last time just around the corner from them and the early-bird breakfast (til 9am) is a great way to start the day.

There are many Haunted Walking Tours through the French Quarter. Very scary stuff has happened there during it's history. I have the skull fan on a stick they gave me hanging on the frige.We took the Ghost Tour for $20 ea. with a very Goth looking guide. He loved to answer questions and show off his vast knowledge. We stopped for a break at a bar that is the oldest standing structure in N.O. It was the Blacksmith shop when first built.
Other tours include:
VampireTour
Cemetery Tour (like no others)
Voodoo Tour
Garden District Ghosts and Legends
If you go on more than one tour, they discount your next one $3.
One more thing. Take umbrellas unless you dont mind getting wet from the frequent showers that roll through in Summer.