PDA

View Full Version : Pin Trading?

idreamofdisney
05-18-2011, 02:16 PM
I am taking my 9 year old daughter to Disney June 20 with my husband and my parents. I was looking at ebay about the Disney Pins to trade. Which kind do you recommend buying? I only have one daughter but I thought she would love to trade while we are at the park. They have cast lanyard pins, hidden mickeys, LE pins, rack pins and vinylmation. What kind should I buy? Many say no sedesma or pro pins? What are they? How do these people buy these lots to sell 20 for $20 or so? I saw them at our disney store for $9 each. Sorry for all the questions. Thank-you very much. :confused:

Ms. Mode
05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I think they have a deal with Disney to keep the pins in circulation...purely speculation on my part. But, whatever it is, I'm very thankful that they can sale them at a discount because my DD and I go through many many pins during our week vacation. When you purchase used pins any Disney pins that are listed as good to trade in the parks are good to go.

I love pin trading! Hope your DD loves it and has a good time trading too. :thumbsup:

gerald72
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
It doesnt matter which ones you buy if you are going to trade them away.
I always figured they bought them from Disney- all the ones that people traded away and no one wanted.

Ms. Mode
05-18-2011, 02:57 PM
It doesnt matter which ones you buy if you are going to trade them away.
I always figured they bought them from Disney- all the ones that people traded away and no one wanted.

Well, the CMs will only trade authentic Disney pins. Most of the pins that you can buy in bulk will fit the bill. I've bought several bags and there are some really good pins in most bags. Also, when you're in the parks trading with the CMs Disney will put hard to find older pins on CM lanyards for traders to "find". There are scammers out there, so make sure that you purchase only authentic Disney pins. :mickey:

mook3y
05-18-2011, 03:27 PM
If you are going to trade the pins, then the type does not matter.

The more you buy, the cheaper they get on ebay.

We started by splitting a lot of 100 pins with another family.

We have found that when we purchase a "lot" of pins, we end up wanting to keep approximately 1/3 of the pins we receive.

We now usually try and buy 200 pins if we can get them for .65 @ or less including shipping.

We use the pins as "rewards" for doing extra chores and as part of our kids allowance.

It is a great motivator for them because the more they earn over the year, the more they have to trade when they are at the parks. :D

McLiberal8
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
If it's easier for you, when you get to your Disney resort, they should have 'pin trading starter kits' readily available in the gift shop. These are themed (classic characters, pirates, princesses, etc) and have 5 pins(?), plus a lanyard.

Disney4us2
05-18-2011, 09:45 PM
We got most of our pins from Ebay buying in lots. I also got a lot at Company D, when I was working at Disneyland.

We spent spring break at WDW doing a lot of pin trading. I fell in love with the Orange Bird pins. They are so cute.

Ramblingman
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
We started a few years ago, when my DD also wanted to begin collecting them. My job is to go on the hunt. This trip she wants pins relating to rides at the parks.

We have a book to keep the keepers in. We separate those from the ones for trade so we don't accidentally lose a keeper. I try to buy traders as cheaply as possible. It really doesn't matter what they are but I try to get a scattered sampling. That will give whoever is trading with me a good selection of what they want and will increase my chances of getting some that I want.

I also plan on taking a few of the traders and giving them away to children I see who don't have too many. It's a good way to spread the Magic.

Tomorrow night there is a pin trading event at the Contemporary. I hope to get some good ones.

One tip on lanyards. Load up with pins for trading on your way out. As you trade, put the ones you want to keep on one side and move traders to the other side. Then when CM's or others are looking, you can point and say, "these on this side are available". It saves heartache from telling someone, "oh no, sorry but that particular pin isn't for trade."

When you go back to the room, empty off the keepers and refill with traders. Then you begin again.

Good Luck.

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I also plan on taking a few of the traders and giving them away to children I see who don't have too many. It's a good way to spread the Magic.

We do this as well. ITs fun to see their eyes light up when they get a free pin. Kinda feel like Santa Claus when we do it. :thumbsup: