PDA

View Full Version : Looking for questions about possibly moving down to Disney Area

cmshelton1979
05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of moving down there. I just got back from vacation so its really fresh in my head (just got back home last night).

What are some good areas to live in? Is it possible to survive if you have a job working at Disney? I am just trying to get some input on all of this. I am not necessarily looking to get a job at Disney so I can move down there...from what I am seeing the pay isn't great but I am curious about the benefits and stuff...

If there is some sort of code where you can't openly discuss this info on a forum, please PM me.

Thank you

dnickels
05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
What are some good areas to live in?

The closest areas (commuting-wise) to Disney would probably be some of the subdivisions in the southern area of Winter Garden and Windermere (these two areas border the rear Magic Kingdom cast member entrance), County Road 535, Ficquette Road, Reams Road, those areas. Hunters Creek and Celebration are probably the closest areas south and southeast of Disney property. For a little longer commute you could have Clermont, Kissimmee, or some of the suburbs closer to Orlando proper. Pretty much all of those have good neighborhoods and less-good ones except for Windermere (although that's way out of a cast member budget anyway) so a blanket 'good' or 'bad' is impossible to give.

Is it possible to survive if you have a job working at Disney?

Survive? Yes. Actually living a middle class lifestyle on a cast member pay scale? Typically no. Some other folks know more about this than me and hopefully they'll see the thread and chime in, but you probably don't want to move to Florida and expect a job at Disney to be your bread-winning job. Every year there are teachers, nurses, project managers, IT folks, lawyers, office assistants (basically people from every profession in the country) who think about working at Disney or transferring their skills to a dream job at Disney, and they usually find that they're qualified to be a front-line cast member at $9.00 per hour.

Wages are generally very low but benefits are good if you're in a salary or union position.

Most of the older people who work for Disney are retired or semi-retired or they have a spouse working elsewhere, the Disney job is really for a couple extra bucks or the benefits. Most of the younger people working for Disney are making low wages and getting little or no benefits. Disney's workforce tends to be very young (college kids or 20 somethings) living with roommates, or older, there just aren't many middle-aged people with families to support working for the mouse due to the lower wages.

That doesn't mean it can't be done of course, just that it's not common.

cmshelton1979
05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
I figured there has to be some sort of possibility to making it working there. I did see a lot of younger kids and older adults, but I figured there has to be an in between some how/some where.

9.00 an hour would be quite a stretch to what I have now, I guess the possibility of it being a PT job would be alright.

Hopefully this thread will get some more traffic :)

Figaro
05-17-2011, 01:34 AM
What are some good areas to live in?

Well, in genuine honesty, Orlando has a very high crime rate. Some areas are safer than others. I lived in Davenport/Champions Gate, Altamonte Springs, and Orlando (near Millenia Mall). I loved Davenport/Champions Gate. It's right down the road from Disney and LBV area. It's south of the attractions so you avoid all the tourist and it's nice and quiet. It's got a country feel, but very close to the attractions which is nice. You can hear the WDW fireworks. Altamonte Springs is nice, too. It's out of the tourist areas, also. It's close to Sanford, too. Apartments are gonna run you around 700-1000$ a month for a single bedroom in most upscale apartment complexes. It goes up from there. Just be aware of the areas you explore to live in and the crime rate in those areas.

Is it possible to survive if you have a job working at Disney?

Survive. Somewhat. The "high end" positions pay around 9-13$ depending on experience. Culinary, Lifeguarding, and Security make some of the higher end pay. Most require experience, but lifeguarding you can have no experience in but you'll start at 9$. Thing about jobs in Orlando also is because Disney is the largest employer, they also set the bar in terms of pay rate. You'll find similar low pay across most of Orlando in the tourist industry jobs. You can barely manage month to month, but saving money is almost out of the question unless you have a roommate type living arrangement, which a LOT of Disney CMs do. Working for Disney is great, but the pay is low. If you work PT or Seasonal, it's a good route to go if you can't live off around the 9$ an hour type pay and work another job. dnickels did a pretty good job of explaining it, also. I'd agree with most of what was said. If you have any other questions or anything, let me know! :) Send me a PM and I'd be happy to help :mickey:

clausjo
05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
My parents live in Clermont, a sister lives in Davenport and the other sister lives in Orlando, near the Millenium Mall. All are good distances to the parks, with the Orlando sister being the farthest away. None of my family works for the theme parks. But I agree with the pp, the pay in the Orlando area isn't good for most positions, including professionals. Before I accepted my job transfer from Ft. Lauderdale to Denver, I looked into Orlando area positions. A recuiter told me that, bascically, I wouldn't be able to find a position making the same, or close to, my salary. I've been a paralegal for 12 years and make good money, but the salaries that were available would have resulted in a very, very large cut in pay. Which is why I now live so very far from my favorite place. :(

Ilovemesomedisneymom
05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Great minds think a like. I just got back from Disney too. Must have been there at the same time, as I got back on 5/13/11 or I should say earlier Saturday Morning on 5/14/11.

Anyway, I came back saying I wanted to move to the Disney area too. I started looking on careerbuilders and monster.com looking for a job. I have wanted to live there since I was 12. Since my kids are grown and I'm single I thought it would be the time to move before grandkids come along as I won't want to move then.

Let me know how it goes.

Dixie Springs
05-22-2011, 08:30 AM
We've considered this move several times in the past. From what I have read across several sites, the posts above are very accurate. One disappointing recurring theme is crime (of course, I'm from Detroit, so I can't pass judgement!). It appears you have to be careful as to where you set up home.

DisneyDog
05-25-2011, 05:42 PM
We lived in SW Florida for a few years, and considered moving up to Orlando. We even found a realtor and looked at some houses in the area. Don't remember which areas, but I really liked some of the neighborhoods. However, the realtor told me that it's very difficult to get a job in the area, because so many people move there hoping to get hired. She said it's much easier to get a job if you already have an Orlando area address. She went so far as to offer to let us use her mailing address to put on our resumes. But, we ended up changing our minds and moving back up to PA.

afowl1017
05-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Just moved here three weeks ago! My husband got a nice job in the Sanford area and I must say apartments can be on the expensive side (how ever we had to have enough rooms for our children). I do have a confession :secret: this is actually our third and hopefully final attempt at living in Florida. The first attempt (lived in Celebration) and second attempt (lived in Champions Gate) just were not the right time for my family I think. However I loved both places but if you want close to the park without the mess of traffic, definitely go with Champions Gate or Davenport Four Corner's Area! Good luck to you and your endeavour :thumbsup:

Christine
05-25-2011, 11:01 PM
I have lived in Celebration for almost two years. We too wanted to live and play in the same area and Disney/ the beach brought us to Florida.

We LOVE Celebration. It has a 1950/Stepford Wives kind of feel that doesn't work for all, but we sure like it! :)

Most folks that live in Celebration who work for Disney are upper level execs. "regular" cast members are either retired or seasonal/PT and just do it for fun and discount benefits.

Neither myself nor my husband work for Disney. That is our happy place to escape, not where we want to punch the clock :)

Celebration's back entrance is World Drive! You hop on and go straight and badabing badaboom, you're going through the main gate! It's still surreal that we took the huge jump to move here from Texas. But it's honestly one of the things in life I can say was as good as I'd hoped it would be. We love it!

As far as the surrounding areas...
Champion's Gate/Reunion are pretty nice.
I'd personally stay clear of Orlando, especially MetroWest by Mall of Millenia....Hunter's Creek is pushing it plus your'e going to have to do either tolls or I-4 and that ain't cool!

The amazing thing about living so close is that you can pop over for a minute- we literally will go pick up coffee and a danish and then go back home! Or ride ONE ride and get an ice cream, then done. I wouldn't do that if it took me more than 20 minutes to get on property.

I hope it works out for you. I worried about the magic fading when I moved here. It hasn't at all. It gives me a deeper appreciation as I'm able to really take my time and enjoy all the tiniest details!

Best of luck!

DVC2004
05-26-2011, 02:12 PM
I worked for Disney, the jobs that pay anything decent are few and far between. I had a rare job that did pay well. It's not likely you'd too much that pays decent at the theme parks or hotels. I will tell you you get a different perspective of the company working there.