PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown / Niagara Falls

DisnIse
05-13-2011, 11:15 AM
My little guy is playing at Cooperstown this summer, and I think the whole family is going to road trip from Chicago for part of his experience.

Our plan is to stop at Niagara Falls, and spend a couple of days at Cedar Point in Sandusky.

How much time should we plan to spend at Niagara? I kind of picture doing a Griswolds-in-front-of-the-Grand-Canyon type of thing unless I have someone tell me "you have to see X"!

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Ms. Mode
05-13-2011, 12:15 PM
It's been a few years since we did Niagra, however you probably want to give yourself at least two days (at the very least). Ride the Maid of the Mist ferry and if you can work it in they do a "tour" up the staircase of Bridal Veil Falls that is really cool.

I loved Niagra but once was enough, unlike WDW which I can't wait to get back to. :thumbsup:

magicalmom
05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I agree - you'll enjoy the Maid of the Mist tour, and there's also a walking tour through passageways below the Canadian Falls. I think you can do these in one day, though. It also sticks in my mind that there is a (relatively) new attraction which is a 360 degree movie plus simulator kind of thing.

NJGIRL
05-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Love NF. IMO I would spend two full days there at least.

Maid of the Mist was mentioned and worth going on both the Canadian side and American side. Trips are very similar but it's fun enough to do twice.

There is the "Journey Behind the Falls" experience. It is so cool to actually see the falls from behind. Stairs lead to the lower part of the falls and you are standing very close to it outside also.

"Making of the Falls" is cool also. It's the newest attraction and was designed by someone famous. Was it George Lucas?? I don't remember, but they hand out rain poncho's because you WILL get very wet (think Backlot Tour at DHS).

These are just the hilights right at the falls. There is so much more to do there. Just walking around the park and getting different views is breathtaking. We also did the "White Water Walk".

There are so many other fall related attractions. There is a indoor water park, an outdoor elevator ride, whirlpool jet rides, botanical gardens, power plant tour.

Cave of the Winds is on the NY side and they have a huge platform to view the falls. You can go to Goat Island from that side also. While the Canadian side had more to do I thought that the NY park was very nice. You can go back and forth very easily but I would hit the NY side on your way out.

We were there for four nights and there were fireworks over the falls three of those nights. We also went to Clifton Hill every night. Amusments, Wax museums, Ripley's, Dave & Busters, shopping and so much more.

We packed in alot the few days we were there and didn't do everyhting. It was our second trip there and I do want to go back again. It was alot of fun.

CynBeth
05-15-2011, 05:00 PM
About 15 minutes or so from the Canadian Falls area is a place similar to Sea World called Marineland. We are big animal lovers so we really liked it. Our trip was 5 or 6 years ago so it might have changed.

When we went there was a pass which included Maid of the Mist, Journey Behind the Falls, Butterfly Conservatory, a special trolley, and a fee other attractions on the Canadian side. There is also a street that has carnival games and rides. And, we had dinner in a revolving restaurant. We were there 2 or 3 days and enjoyed it. The falls were gorgeous at night. We even saw fireworks. We spent a few days in Toronto beforehand. One of our best trips.

magicalmom
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Oh - you can also tour the hydroelectric plant - interesting for adults and science/math/engineering fans.

DisnIse
05-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow!

Thanks!!! Great information. I really had no idea what was there/what to expect. My experience is from watching Woody Woodpecker go over the falls in a barrel (that was him, right)? And more recently, watching the wedding episode of The Office. NOT the best research possible!!!

Happy summer vacation, everyone!

NJGIRL
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
"The Office" well that's where I learn all of my life's lessons. I LOVE that show!:thumbsup:

LVT
07-21-2011, 10:13 AM
I was there 2 days 20 years ago. It was a nice area then. I am curious as to crowd levels now that passports are required? I would like to go back. Please let us know how the trip goes.

NJGIRL
07-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I was there 2 days 20 years ago. It was a nice area then. I am curious as to crowd levels now that passports are required? I would like to go back. Please let us know how the trip goes.

Our last trip was last August and it wasn't overly crowded, but not dead either.