PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?? What would you do??

Disney4us2
05-12-2011, 11:45 PM
My DD (11) just started her CST state testing on Tuesday. They don't want any kids absent during this time.

Wednesday night she started complaining of a sore throat. She was up most of the night crying in pain.:ill: I finally got her back to sleep around 6am this morning. She is also running a fever.
I kept her home from school. She spent the day in bed resting and taking OTC meds... cepacol, tylenol, throat drops.

I really don't want her in school if she is not feeling well. She feels guilty for missing school during the state testing. I would rather she stay home and not infect anyone and get better.

I will see how she is in the morning wether or not she goes back to school on Friday. I hope I did the right thing keeping her home even though she has the testing.

What would you do?

kakn7294
05-13-2011, 12:22 AM
I think you did the right thing. First, she needs to get her rest to get well. Second, she doesn't need to be at school infecting everyone else. Third, she's not going to be performing at her best on her tests if she's sick anyway. The rule in our school system is if they are running a fever - STAY HOME!

Kenny1113
05-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Absolutely! I would have done the same. Don't feel bad about it.

retiredfigment
05-13-2011, 07:39 AM
As a former teacher, you did the absolutely right thing. One, her scores would probably be lower if she is not feeling well. Two, her lower scores would affect the school. Three, schools do have times built in for make-ups.

Tinkerfreak
05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
You absolutely did the right thing for all the reasons stated above. She probably would not have done her best anyway and would have spread whatever she has to all the other kids.

WIMickeymommy
05-13-2011, 07:52 AM
You did the right thing, hands down. I would've done the same thing. It is not worth sending a sick and tired child to school to take tests. She will not be performing at her highest. Good call mom. Hope she is feeling better today.:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-13-2011, 07:56 AM
You did the right thing.:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
05-13-2011, 08:32 AM
The only thing I would have done differently is take her to her Pediatrician for the fever, and to get a Dr's excuse for the school absence. I don't take my kids to their Dr. for just anything, but usually with a fever I do, especially if they are missing school. I hope she's feeling better soon!

brownie
05-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Well played, I think you did the right thing. You should not be second-guessing yourself at all.

Tygger7
05-13-2011, 09:36 AM
You absolutely did the right thing...your child's health is more important than ANY test. She could make others sick...I really get upset when people send sick kids to school, or come into work sick. My mom went through chemo a couple of years ago, so you never know how your illness could impact someone indirectly. I was a nervous wreck every time someone sick was around me at work...

Again, sorry to get off topic, but you did do the right thing, so don't feel guilty. :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
05-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Jessica still has the fever this morning. Even though it is low grade, I will be taking her to the doctor today. Staying home one more day.

Stitchahula
05-13-2011, 09:44 AM
The rule in our schools are if there is a fever they stay out of school until 24 hours after fever passes. Where she was so uncomfortable and running a fever I would probably bring her to the doctor to get checked out.:ill:

magicalmom
05-13-2011, 05:04 PM
You made the right call, Mom! The requirement that kids not miss school during testing is more to discourage planned absences: vacations, orthodontist, "mental health days." Nobody wants to pass a fever around.

Disney-4-Me
05-13-2011, 05:23 PM
As a current middle school teacher I think you did exactly the right thing. Worrying about your child is your primary concern. Her schooling comes after her health.

I hope she's feeling better now.

Disney4us2
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I DID the right thing. We just got back from her doctor. Sure enough she has strep throat. She is now on the antibiotics.

It is so hard to tell when it is a virus or bacterial infection. I was sick with the same type of thing (no strep) 3 weeks ago and it was just a virus.

After a weekend of rest she can return to school on Monday.

Jeff
05-13-2011, 06:34 PM
As the guy in charge of State testing at our High School, as a former Guidance Counselor and now Asst. Principal, I say rest easy - you did the right thing. Although the State put tremendous pressure on schools to have all kids there on testing days, doing what is best for your child is still your utmost responsibility.:thumbsup:

Disney4us2
05-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I am glad I folloewd my intuition and kept her home, and took her to the doctor.

I didn't feel guilty about keeping her home. Jessica felt guilty, expecially after her teacher told her (class) that they better have gone to the hospital or have an arm missing when they returm. I guess she will say anything to make sure her students are in class for the testing.

Sounds cruel to me, but we have teen having other issues with her teacher lately. :mad: That is for another post maybe.

Lizzy
05-13-2011, 11:20 PM
I kept my son home the first day of FCAT. He was not feeling well and even the school said to me on the phone that they want them to feel their best for the test, that there will be a make up date

kakn7294
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I hope she's feeling better! She should be fine for school on Monday. Don't worry about what the teacher says - your child's health is far more important than the opinion of her teacher.