PDA

View Full Version : Another 4 Questions!

LovinWDW
05-11-2011, 11:14 PM
As you can see I'm really having fun with this. I love reading everyones posts and seeing what you all enjoy eating and when you'll be returning to WDW. This one should be fun!

1. When did you first visit WDW?
2. How old were you?
3. How did you get there?
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip?

Here are my responses:

1. 1977
2. 5
3. By bus :ack:(from Pa) the band from our high school was marching in the afternoon parade at MK so they ran several additional buses for members of the community. I can always say I did it but, would never do it again.
4. We stayed off site and I had a crazy uncle who was kicked out of the hotel pool for doing insane dives off the diving board I also remember the juice containers in the MK. There was grape juice in a plastic container shaped like a bunch of grapes and orange juice in a plastic container shaped like an orange. Loved these!!!!

Have Fun!

AnnaMom
05-12-2011, 12:11 AM
1. 1972 & stayed at the Contemporary
2. 6 years old
3. We drove from Baton Rouge
4. What a magic place so different than anything I had ever seen. Enjoying my older brother for the first time with us doing things together & having fun without fighting!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-12-2011, 02:46 AM
1. 1972
2. Almost 5
3. We flew.
4. There are two things I can remember. One is riding the monorail through the Contemporary Resort. I thought that was awesome. The other was a show involving Pooh. They were picking someone from the audience, but they wanted a girl. I was so upset they didn't pick me. Lol!

They better pick me for Indiana Jones this time!!!!!

JasonH
05-12-2011, 02:47 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? 1984

2. How old were you? 7 years old

3. How did you get there? By car. It was our first trip to Florida as well since my grandparents moved down there as well as a couple aunts and uncles and cousins.

4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? Well this is gonna be a doozy. lol Before we went to WDW, we were visiting my grandparents and other relatives. I didn't know we'd be goin to WDW as well until the day before we were gonna leave from my grandparents house. Needless to say my uncle got to talkin about the rides there and specifically said that the Haunted Mansion is a scary ride. Well, being 7, my imagination got the best of me and I was starting to think of how scary the haunted house at Six Flags St. Louis was (it was a haunted house that used to be open all season, before they came out with Fright Fest). I imposed that same scariness over to the Haunted Mansion thinking it would be just like it, a walk-through haunted house with live actors scaring you through-out.

Fast-forward to the day we go to MK. I had gotten the thoughts out of my head after the talk my uncle gave and I didn't think about it again until we were heading to HM and in the queue. It all came rushing back to me of all the thoughts I had and I just started crying and telling my mom and dad I didn't want to go in there. :cry: Even the lady that was in front of us tried helping me calm down and saying she has been on it several times and it wasn't scary at all, only a couple times where something would pop up but that's it. I did calm down for the most part but I was still very aprehensive about it all.

Fast-forward again to the end of the ride. Guess what. It wasn't scary at all and it actually became my favorite ride of all time after that. :hmghost::hmghost::hmghost:

JoF
05-12-2011, 03:28 AM
1. 1997
2. I had my 28th Birthday while I was there
3. We flew by Virgin Atlantic
4. I could not believe the size of the place. At home when you read about it you think everything is just a short walk away - wrong! And because it was Christmas - all the huge trees and their decorations and the thousands of red poinsettias planted everywhere. :mickey:

RAIDER
05-12-2011, 03:35 AM
1. 1992 ( May )
2. 28
3. Flew ( British Airways )
4. Driving towards WDW for the first time and seeing the various exits for the parks ,Then seeing the MK castle for the first time .Also saw the space shuttle Endevour take off on its maiden mission from Kennedy Space Centre .

Suzi Q
05-12-2011, 08:10 AM
2. How old were you? 5
3. How did you get there? Drove down from Michigan
My red Mickey balloon floating to the top of the Contemporary resort! The only ride I really remember is the teacups.

Will be celebrating my 30th trip as an adult November 2011; last trip April 29-May 8 2011. Yay Bounce Back offer!

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-12-2011, 08:16 AM
1. First visit was in January 2003
2. I was 33 (a late bloomer:mickey:)
3. We drove from Mississippi-this was a 12 hour trip as we made frequent stops
4. Most vivid memory-Seeing the castle for the first time and realizing just how big DisneyWorld really is...I really had no clue

eam
05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
1. March, 1972
2. 19
3. Drove from Michigan for spring break, first time to Florida
4. As previously stated, riding on the monorail through the Contemporaty Resort. I remember thinking how badly I wanted to stay there - and I have. It was the beginning of a beautiful relationship, and it is my truly happy place. Next up, November, POFQ.

Bethis26fan
05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
1. 2006
2. 26
3. Drove from SC 9 hours
4.My 2 1/2 year old nephew break dancing w/ Chip at MVMCP. He fell and played it off by spinging around and stuff.

wdwaggie
05-12-2011, 08:54 AM
July 1984
2. How old were you?
I was 12, My sister was 15
We flew Eastern Airlines from Houston, I think they were Disneys travel partner at the time because we bought a package deal.
I actually have many, but thought it was cool to find out that Donald Duck and my Dad were both celebrating their 50th Birthdays at the same time!! And my Dad SWEARING that one of the AAs in SE at EPCOT was a real man!! LOL!!

PopPhan
05-12-2011, 09:00 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? September 2003
2. How old were you? 41
3. How did you get there? Flew out of Baltimore (BWI) on "Agony Airlines" [US Airways] {US Airways was once known as Allegheny Airlines, and even then had a bad reputation, hence the nickname "Agony Airlines"}
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? That I actually enjoyed it. Was not expecting much, but quickly became "Hooked On Disney"

sorcerer fan
05-12-2011, 09:10 AM
1. june, 1973

3. drove my 72 torino wagon pulling our pop up camper with my three kids in the back expanse of the wagon with the seats folded down

4. how clean the park was and how people leaving for the day would give you their ticket books to use. It rained the first day and everyone left, we put on raincoats and saw every ride in the park in one day. couldn't do that today if I tried

Auntie B
05-12-2011, 09:15 AM
1. 1999
2. 34 (and as excited as a 5 year old!)
3. Early morning flight.
4. My most vidid memory is watching my dad take a picture for a Japanese couple at Magic Kingdom and then watching the gentleman bow and back away. My dad started bowing and backing up too. Makes me smile everytime I think about it.

Love this thread!:mickey:

disneymomma2010
05-12-2011, 09:22 AM
1) 1994 pofq
2) 12
3) drove 10 hrs
4) Mom went with three of her friends from work and took me and my little sister. I remember having joining rooms with them and thinking how crazy these loud women are! It was in febuary and we wanted to go to the pool but we spend most of the time in the hot tub. I remember running back to the room wet and freezing. I remember eating at chef mickeys. My little sister would call pluto "the licker" because of his long tongue. I fell in love with splash mountain and hated space mountain!

kgoulash
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
3 weeks old (my grandparents had just moved to FL)
flew i think
no memories from this trip, but my first memories are of listening to disney music on the delta flight down, once we got those earphones and had the disney music going it was like i was already there!

MissTink
05-12-2011, 09:34 AM
1. 1993
2. 11 Years old
3. Drove from NJ
4. My most vivid memory was watching The Apple Dumpling Gang movie at the campfire in Fort Wilderness and playing at the arcade at the Contemporary :mickey:

Belle619
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? 2007

2. How old were you? 27

Flew from Chicago, connecting in Cleveland to pick up my sister for the next leg of the trip. My flight in was late, so we sprinted to the next gate - but we made it!!!

My sister made the reservations and kept apologizing because all she could get us at the Polynesian was a room with a view of the parking lot. We arrived after dark, but when we walked in and I opened the curtains to see the monorail zipping by - it was amazing. :mickey:

That was when it hit me - we were here, we were actually at Walt Disney World!! I wanted someone to pinch me. That was pretty much the way I felt for the entire trip!

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
1. 1982

2. 10 years old

3. We drove from Ohio to Georgia, picked up some cousins and then drove the rest of the way to Orlando. Stayed in some cheap hotel, but i was a kid and didnt care.

4. Honestly of all my trips, i remember the least about this trip. But what DOES stick put is watching the Main Street Electrical Parade. I loved it.

sassafras
05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
1. 1996, right after Christmas
2. 44
3. We flew Delta out of Indianapolis at 7 a.m.. My sons were marching with their hs band in the Main St. parade, so we put them on the band bus and we flew! Had a chance to be bumped and get free tickets, but b-i-l refused because he wanted to get there before noon. Took the original flight, had a layover in Atlanta and got fogged in, and finally made it to DW at 9:30 that night! Needless to say, we weren't happy with the b-i-l!
4. First, seeing a palm tree for the first time! Next, walking down Main Street to see a beautiful castle, only to find it covered in hideous pink "frosting" to make it look like a cake!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-12-2011, 10:17 AM
1) 1986
2) 28
3) flew
4) I was scared to death on the plane, having never flown before. The stewardess gave me wings. I had never seen a palm tree before, and we drove to an orange grove. I bought baseball caps at every park (some more than 1) which I still some of them have today.

artyboy
05-12-2011, 10:35 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? 1976

2. How old were you? 12

3. How did you get there? Greyhound bus...now this would never happen these days, but I won a trip through the Indianapolis Star (I was a paerboy and the contest required you to sell 25 subscriptions in a month...I won the trip 3 years in a row)
I remember waking up on the bus (we drove all night) and seeing palm trees for the first time...and spending a day at Daytona Beach...then going to Disney the next day with basically per dieums for lunch and dinner...and doing all of this with little to no adult supervision...this would never fly now!

4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? Being so excited about seeing the castle that I completely missed the monorail...I ran straight to the ferry dock...something I still do now...first trip over to MK must be on the boat!

EJS-Houston
05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
What a great thread, LovinWDW!

1. 1972
2. I was 12 years old...my little brother was 4
3. My family drove from Cincinnati
4. We stayed in the Polynesian, and I vividly remember the spine-tingling thrill of seeing the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Water Parade from the balcony of our hotel room. I still get a chill when I hear that music (I think it's called "Electric Baroque" or something like that) on my Classic Disney CD.

biodtl
05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? I think it was 1974.
2. How old were you? If I'm right on the year, I was 6.
3. How did you get there? Drove from PA. My aunt lived in Tampa, and we drove down every summer to spend a few weeks. We drove to WDW from Tampa.
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? My dad and uncle taking turns carrying me around the park on their shoulders. And meeting the dwarves.

dizneydeb22
05-12-2011, 11:41 AM
1. 1987
2. 16
3. It was High School trip and we drove by bus from Long Island, New York
4.I have two vivid memories: My first walk down Main Street USA and when a cast member pointed out that I had the same Birthday as Mickey Mouse(differnt year of course)!:mickey:

jodijo
05-12-2011, 12:00 PM
1. 2003
2. 33 years old
3. Flew from CA where we live.
4. I remember walking under the train station and onto Main Street at MK with my husband and 2 kids. I just started crying. I had wanted to come for so long and being there was more magical than I ever expected.

The other thing I remember is waiting for dinner in the castle. I looked over and my DD (5 at the time), was laying on the ground looking under Cinderella's skirt. I was just getting up to ask her what she was doing (ok, yell at her) when she ran across the lobby yelling, "She does wear the glass slippers, Mom! She does!" It was priceless!

DisneyDoug2
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
1. 1982
2. Just turned 16
3. Drove down from Chicago with two high school buddies
4. First ride ever at MK was Space Mountain in the front seat!

BAMABOY
05-12-2011, 02:30 PM
1. 1976
2. I was 6
3. We drove down in my Grandparents 1970 Buick Electra 225, me, my parents and my grandparents and we still had lots of room. we were also pulling a pop up camper, not so much room, and we stayed in Snow Whites Campground in Kissimmee. I don't even know if it is still there.
4.I can remember standing in line for SM. We were not sure exactly what it was so there was no way my mom would get on it, she rode BTMR for the first time in 09'. Anyhow, we were on the ride and back then you sat two to a seat and I was kinda in my dads lap. We went down the first drop, I reached back to grab my dad and I guess my arms were to short and I could not touch him! I began to scream, "DADDY, ARE YOU STILL HERE!!!". We still laugh about that. :mickey:

ransam
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
2. How old were you? i was 8.
3. How did you get there? well my mom and dad told us kids we were going to spend a weekend at a hotel, just to get away from things for a while. drove to the hotel out by the Kansas City airport and for some reason my dad decided he wanted to see a plane up close. we got the airport, and thats when they told us we were flying to Disneyworld. the first of many surprise tirps.
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? honestly? i remember we got to orlando and couldnt' find the hotel. we were all starving so we stopped at a Steak and Shake. For some reason it was just so good that we made it a family tradition. every time we flew into orlando we woudl stop at a steak and shake.
In 1999 i went back to Disney w/ my brother (much younger brother by about 20 years), and my gf. I hadn't been to disney in about 10 years myself. they were so confused why i was so excited to stop at a Steak and Shake before we got to our hotel! ha

BandMan
05-12-2011, 02:59 PM
1. 1996

2. 34

3. My first visit was taking my high school band to WDW, so DW and I rode 36 hours on a bus with 80 high school band kids and their parents. :bus: :help:

4. Marching in the 3:00 parade, past the castle and down Mainstreet as tens of thousands of people cheered. :encore: The word "awesome" is way over-used, but that expereince really was "awesome".

It was 92 degrees, :sun: but my kids looked great, and we still high-stepped the last curve around the flagpole. I was so proud. This was one of the best experiences of my life.

BWayGrl
05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
1. 1991
2. 4
3. Train from Philadelphia
4. Unfortunately, I don't remember much about Disney this trip. But I remember being bitten by a duck at our rental house, and I remember being scared to death at Mystery Fun House in Orlando. We went again in 1992 so the trips kind of bleed together.

darthmacho
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Good questions, keep them coming!

1998, for our honeymoon.

2. How old were you?
We were 27 years old.

Delta Airlines and rental car.

Well, it was our honeymoon! ;)
However, assuming you mean a WDW memory, I'd say our most vivid memory is walking through the doors of the grand Wilderness Lodge lobby, full of anticipation for the nine days ahead, and spending our life together in marriage. :mickey:

BAMABOY
05-12-2011, 05:07 PM

We were there at the same time, we could have seen eachother. what were you wearing?:goof:

Mjs798
05-12-2011, 09:40 PM
6 yrs old
Drove with family from northeast
What I still remember is at the contemporary in the snack shop they used to have these giant fried doughnut type balls rolled in sugar.i remembered these so much...sadLy 30 years later when I Came down With my family i was expecting them to have these.....

Mjs798
05-12-2011, 09:41 PM
6 yrs old
Drove with family from northeast
What I still remember is at the contemporary in the snack shop they used to have these giant fried doughnut type balls rolled in sugar.i remembered these so much...sadLy 30 years later when I Came down With my family i was expecting them to still have these.....

alaMode
05-13-2011, 03:49 AM
6 years old
Eastern Airlines (!)
The Swiss Family Robinson treehouse amazed me. I was convinced it was the actual treehouse & I couldn't get my mind around how they had planned and built a whole park around this tree!

SpecJoe Magic
05-13-2011, 04:54 AM
1. 1981
2. 6 months (my family goes every year)
3. car
4. None. But Pirates quickly became an early one.

cuteduck223
05-13-2011, 10:43 AM
1. February 1989
2. 10
3. Car (from illinois)
4. We stayed off site and i met this girl from minnesota at the pool who was my age. We exchanged addresses and wrote letters for the next two years. Also, as far as a disney memory--i remember the Goofy having my parents and brother sing to me at breakfast for my birthday.

ryca1dreams
05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
1) I think it was 1979

2) I would have been 10

3) Drove from TN taking about 3 days to get there with some older family members

4) Lots, but I mainly remember the SM Star Tunnel and still get goosbumps when I hear the music. The line was like 90 min. long so we were there for awhile.

catkrazy
05-14-2011, 11:16 AM
1. 26
2. 2000
3. Flew from Maine
4. It was just amazing, but it was so overwhelming that I missed a lot of things. I love World Showcase but my first trip there I only remembered seeing Mexico and Germany thanks to the :marg:!!

Pop Centurion
05-14-2011, 02:47 PM
First visit: Memorial Day weekend 1999, stayed at the Dolphin

How old: 28 (yes I was a late "Disney Bloomer" LOL!

How we got there: Drove straight through from South Jersey

Most memorable moment: tough to say. I honestly don't remember much as far as attractions but I remember being amazed by the Spectromagic parade & MSEP (lucky enough to catch them both as they made the transition) as well as Illuminations & Wishes.
I can remember the whole experience being the complete opposite of what I expected.

almost forgot a pretty memorable moment. One night we were about to go out on our balcony to have a drink & watch Illuminations when my wife (then girlfriend) yelled oh my god & slammed the door. When I asked what was wrong & she told me to quietly look out the window. There was a huge white eagle perched on the railing. He was about half the size of me. When I grabbed my camera he spread his wings, which looked amazing, and flew off before I could take the pic.

crltkcagle
05-14-2011, 05:58 PM

2. How old were you? 6

3. How did you get there? we drove

Becky Becky Fruit Fruit! LOL I know now that it was actually veggie veggie fruit fruit, but my brother and I spent the entire trip singing that song over and over again! So Kitchen Kabaret is my most vivid memory of that trip.

jnfr2424
05-14-2011, 07:32 PM
1. When did you first visit WDW? 1979
2. How old were you? 7
3. How did you get there? Drove on a tour bus from NJ
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? It was so overwhelming! Always making sure we had the right ticket to get on certain rides. I remember a few years later my parents planning a return trip making sure they had planned out how much money they needed just for tickets. How happy were they when the ticket system was over!!!!

amd780
05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
1. 1986
2. 3
3. Flew on Delta (they gave me a "wings" pin. :) )
4. The Mickey and Tigger stuffed animals that my parents bought for me. I have a few other memories as well, but since I was so young at the time, I'm not quite sure if they happened on my first trip, or my second trip at age 4. :mickey:

cajunmickey
05-14-2011, 09:40 PM
1. 1977 American Dutch Hotel not sure what it is now at downtown disney
2. 12 yrs have been a fanatic ever since
3. We flew. First time on a plane and I remember being so scared.
4. I was in awe of the place still am. My dad lost his footing while getting off peter pan. I never saw people move so fast to help someone. Thanks to the quick thinking of the cast members he was not hurt.:mickey:

kemps@wdw
05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
1. 1974
2. 13
3. family van (2 adults-bunch of kids)
4. All the bean bag chairs in the back of the
van for the kids to sit on :D
Simply amazed at the wonderful atmosphere. As compared to other "amusement parks" I'd been to, WDW was so much more. Indeed a whole new World! Especially for a bunch of kids allowed to wonder on their own. My DH also went when he was that age. We both developed a love for WDW that took us there on our belated honeymoon in 1980 and on many, many journeys there since.

tmz814
05-14-2011, 10:49 PM
1. 1982

2. About 14 months old

3. Flew with my mom and my godmother

4. I don't really have memories of this trip since I was so young, but I do remember be enthralled by the Main Street Electrical Parade. I still love it to this day. When I heard they were bringing it back I was so excited. I went to MK specifically to see the parade one night last summer and started crying when I heard the intro music begin! :-)

buzznwoodysmom
05-15-2011, 09:22 AM
1. When did you first visit WDW? August 1997
2. How old were you? 20
3. How did you get there? Drove
4.What is your most vivid memory of that trip? The crazy pink castle cake!