PDA

View Full Version : Disney Half Marathon

squad51
05-11-2011, 09:36 PM
It came to me on monday that it would be cool to form a team at work and my union to train over the next 6-7 months to run the Disney Half Marathon. I looked into possible charities to run for and I think we would run for Autism Speaks. I would like to know where the money collected by disney goes to, how to register, and how long do people go down for.

I noticed on the disney website that you can register through Autism Speaks and recieve discounts on lodging, parks, and race entry. Is this true? Has anyone ever run this as a team?

I thought this would be a great chance to improve the health of myself, my coworkers, and to raise money for a cause near and dear to my heart (my cousin is autistic, my son and I have a form of autism).

Any info would be great.

DAWS
05-14-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question about where the registration money goes.

However, I have run the half marathon. It is awesome! I have run several half-marathons, and it is my favorite - there is entertainment at every mile.

To register, go to this link (which is the official website): http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/wdw-marathon/
It says that it is 65% full already - I believe that it often fills by summer.

When we did it, we went down two days before (we fly from Seattle, so don't arrive until evening), so that we have one full day to relax and orient. Then, we stayed two days afterwards (we cheered on the marathoners the next day and went to the celebration that night).

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
I did some searching and it seems that the money raised goes to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Sounds like you're starting to get a great plan together ... and support Autism research in the process.

We aren't in shape enough (yet) for the 1/2 marathon, but we've started doing 5 and 10K's (the Disney 5K was our first), and we loved it.

For us, we planned a "regular" trip around the run, so we were there for 7 days, with the run being one of them.