PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's showing signs of needed rehab

Daisy'sMom
05-10-2011, 09:16 AM
We went over to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios for yesterday. While we were at MK, I noticed that the past four times I have done Buzz Lightyear, the guns have not worked. Not at all. Also noticed the cars were looking pretty beat up, if you spun them, they did not stop spinning or would not at all. Has anyone else noticed any symptoms of a much needed rehab?
The park was pretty crowded but we were able to walk on everything we wanted to do, (except Buzz, needed a FP).
DHS was quiet, we didn't stay there as long as planned. When you get up there in age and have a two hour ride ahead of you, you tend to call it a day.
DH said yesterday when he retires, we will go over for two nights each month instead of back and forth. Made me a very happy lady.:mickey:

darthmacho
05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I thought the same last August. It was such a disappointment, and my kids were so unimpressed, that we rode only once in our three visits to MK that trip. We even visited the much maligned Stitch Escapes a second time. Buzz is a great ride, they just need to rehab it, I'd say. :mickey:

azcavalier
05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Absolutely. The guns are the biggest issue. The last few years we've been really frustrated that one of the guns doesn't work at all, no laser, can't see where you're shooting, etc.

BrerGnat
05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Has this ride ever gone down for an extensive refurbishment? I can't seem to recall.

I always feel like this ride seems really run down (vehicles and guns)...

joonyer
05-10-2011, 12:04 PM
Since the whole point of the attraction is scoring points by shooting targets, it is really frustrating to get in a car with a laser gun that doesn't work. There is really NO EXCUSE for Disney not to have this attraction in better working condition. This kind of broken down quality is what you'd expect with traveling carnival midway rides, not the Magic Kingdom.

crltkcagle
05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I had noticed a few cars completely covered because they were broken. And my son had to sit alone because his car only had one functioning gun. I hope they fix it soon!

Melanie
05-10-2011, 04:23 PM
They should refurb like Disneyland - Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. Removeable guns and different targets (triangles, squares, etc., not just circles). Besides the needed paint and gun refurb, the ride itself should really be upgraded. We skip it all the time.

BrerGnat
05-10-2011, 08:10 PM
They should refurb like Disneyland - Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. Removeable guns and different targets (triangles, squares, etc., not just circles). Besides the needed paint and gun refurb, the ride itself should really be upgraded. We skip it all the time.

I agree. How hard can it be to change the guns? I don't bother with WDW's Buzz Lightyear either. It's rather lame, compared to Disneyland's.

ryca1dreams
05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I like this ride quite a bit. The last time I was on it was in 2008 so I'm a little sad that it apparently is in bad shape now. Hopefully they will correct it soon.

brownie
05-11-2011, 11:48 AM
I had trouble with my gun not working well on it on our trip last Nov/Dec.

Hazmat
05-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Removeable guns are the first obvious enhancement to the ride. But, let's remember guys. Over the last few months they have been refurbishing alot of things. Not just attractions but buildings aswell. Many things have been repainted and the roof's reshingled. Maybe there is hope for Buzz aswell! :)

Admin Note: edited for my poor english!

Mjs798
05-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Buzz lightness is one of the best attractions in to morrow and for all ages
Yes it's frustrating when the guns don't wok properly especially when waiting sometimes a half an hour to ride it
But please , when they rehab don't let them change the guns to removable ones
You think it would be fun until you ride MIB in that other amusement park and reliaze it's more fun crouching down and sliding back and forth in your seat aiming and firing than with the removable pistol type ones in the other ride

epceddie
05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
We've never had any problems with guns not working on Buzz. It must be the luck of the draw.
I agree that they shouldn't switch to removable guns. I think it would make it even more difficult to figure out where your beam is going.

Melanie
05-12-2011, 10:36 PM
when they rehab don't let them change the guns to removable ones

I agree that they shouldn't switch to removable guns. I think it would make it even more difficult to figure out where your beam is going.

I have to respectfully disagree. Have you actually ridden Astro Blasters? It's a marked improvement. And I've ridden MIB and wouldn't compare at all.

WDWfanatic742
05-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I agree with Mel. I haven't been to Disneyland so wouldn't know personally about Astro Blasters, but MIB is so much fun and I perfer that type of shooting over what Buzz has now...

linedropper
05-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Have rode it many times when i was there and the guns always worked, also never saw a car covered up because it was not working.

Hambone

goofygirl67
05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I rode Buzz last night and was frustrated since my car would only go to the right, even if I tried going left. The robot was not moving his arms and the usual 100,000 points on his hand was not scoring properly. It was the lowest point score I have gotten in a while.

MrPeetrie
05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
We have not ridden Buzz since 2007. Back then, everything worked perfectly.

My DD8 and I have been watching an older Disney Vacation Planning Video. She is VERY excited about becoming a "Planetary Pilot" this upcoming trip. If things are not working properly, she will be extremely disappointed. As will I.

hokies4life
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
The last time we went on the ride my gun wasn't shooting properly and I ended up with a score of like 1000 points for the whole ride. My fiance on the other hand (in the same car) had 300,000 in the first room alone. And was maxed out before being half way through the second room. I know there are 100,000 point targets but are there really that many right away?

LudwigVonDrake
05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Last July I didn't have a problem with anything malfunctioning but I thought everything needed a very good cleaning :ack:

Ian
05-15-2011, 12:24 PM
For once, I'm going to disagree with Mel that the DL version of Buzz is better. I really didn't care for it at all and found it much harder to work the guns than in WDW.

I'll also say that I haven't experienced any significant issues with the guns not working on the WDW version, although the overall state of the attraction is pretty sad. It's so beat up looking that it actually annoys me every time I ride it.

Really, Disney ... is it too much to ask for a bit of paint??? The cars always have huge chipped spots on them, the queue walls have peeling decals ... it's not at all up to Disney quality.

Narawen
05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
We were there last October and our guns and cars worked fine. I did think the queue looked very shabby, but didn't notice anything bad on the ride.

Melanie
05-15-2011, 07:45 PM
For once, I'm going to disagree with Mel that the DL version of Buzz is better. I really didn't care for it at all and found it much harder to work the guns than in WDW.

To each his own. ;) Even my kids agree with me. Seriously, they don't ever want to do it at WDW unless there is a 5 minute wait.

Removing the guns make hitting the targets so much easier, plus posing for the on-ride pic is so much more fun! hehe And I find having the different target shapes makes the ride much more fun and challenging.

Oh, and I just assumed (maybe wrongly?) that Disney kinda agreed that Astro Blasters was an improvement on Space Ranger Spin since they went with Astro Blasters in Tokyo. :shrug:

Imagineer1981
05-17-2011, 03:08 PM

Agreed. the guns being removeable adds another level of fun to the ride. Its so frustrating when the car isnt turned enough and you miss a target

i'm grumpy
05-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I can never tell what I'm firing at. I think TSM is so much better but we never get to ride it more than once.

Giselle
05-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I'm sure its hard to keep every car and gun working perfectly all the time, especially during the busier times. I wonder if it is a low priority on the repair list, or just an attraction that breaks easily. I hope it gets fixed so that all can enjoy!

artyboy
05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I do agree about the removable guns. They had those at Disneyland Paris and I found them far easier to aim. I also believe that the targets flashed a light when you hit them, which was really cool and made the game more immersive.

Melanie
05-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I do agree about the removable guns. They had those at Disneyland Paris and I found them far easier to aim. I also believe that the targets flashed a light when you hit them, which was really cool and made the game more immersive.

Yes! Do WDW targets not flash when you hit them? If not, that's definitely another advantage to DLR, DLP and TDL.

Victor Kelly
05-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Last October we had 3 covered cars behind us and 4 in front of us. My gun did not work past 150 points total for the entire ride. While my wife was doing really well.

So we rode again, this time she got a bad gun and the car would not turn.

After that we did not ride for the rest of the 2 week trip. And to be honest MIB in Universal was way worse. Power went down and we were stuck for 35 minutes just outside of loading. The guns did not work, and the other car was way ahead of us, so some effects did not work. Then our car had to be pushed into unloading.

I think with anything Toy Story related being very popular right now, Buzz would have been brought up to at least moderatley good condition.

artyboy
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes! Do WDW targets not flash when you hit them? If not, that's definitely another advantage to DLR, DLP and TDL.

Nope...some may have a light effect, but at DLP all of them flashes I believe.

figmagination
05-30-2011, 05:09 PM
We're heading down for our 7th trip this June and Buzz is always one of the things we have to do multiple times. I have never seen it in bad condition and this isn't looking too promising! Has anyone heard any news about about Disney really refurbishing it? And if so, when? We usually go to MK twice a trip and Buzz has to be working! :D

Victor Kelly
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Despite our bad experiences, I would not ever say to not do a ride or attraction. You may very well have better luck:number1:

DisneyDoug2
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
We were there in January and noticed that the guns were having issues, on one time through my teen age son only scored 10,000 pts and the next time through he was well into the 300,000s

The guns diffently need repair and adjustments, I believe this could be accomplished with just a simple switch out of refurbished guns, not a major refurbishment and shut down of the ride.

Ian
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Just got back from 11 days in Disney and rode Buzz numerous times ... only once did I have a gun that had some trouble. The trigger was a bit stubborn and didn't work all that well. Other than that, though, I scored by typical 999,999 on most rides.

Now I will say that the ride itself is looking pretty shabby. Especially the queue where, inexplicably, they've replaced some of the queue area wall murals with blank purple walls? :confused:

MushuGrl
06-01-2011, 11:58 AM
So it's not just that I can't shoot? AWESOME!!!

I mean...boo. Rehab it. :blush:

Eric87
06-02-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure if removable guns are a plus. My wife's and my competitive spirit will always keep this ride at the top of our list. On our last few trips we did notice a lot of vehicles covered and not working. No problems with the guns or targets though.