PDA

View Full Version : Kill Devil Hills, NC?

White Rose
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Hello everyone!

I have the potential of renting a nice house in Kill Devil Hills, NC for $700 sometime in August. I still need to check for exact dates, but a few college buddies of mine were thinking about renting it as a cheap vacation get-away for a week. I went YEARS ago with my parents (I was eight or nine and I'm 23 now) and I remember it being very nice.

My only question is, what is there to DO in Kill Devil Hills besides the beach? I'm very into history (I was a history major in college and I'm starting my MA this fall in History) and was hoping there may be a few museums there for me to frequent.

At most, it would be five of us and we're all between 22-23 years of age. We'll probably be cooking most of our meals and, despite being young and in our early 20s, we are not huge partiers. We may go out to dinner a few times, but that would be it.

If anyone has some helpful insights as to activities/sights, it would be helpful! I feel so out of my element here! :blush:

Ima-john-eer
05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Wright Bros National Memorial is in Kill Devil Hills. They have a nice museum. Roanoke Island is also close. They have an nice NC State aquarium. I think there is a shipwreck/ maritime meuseum at the ferry to Ocracoke Island, but that is a DRIVE. Bodie, Currituck and Hatteras Lighthouses are close. Chicamacomico Lifesaving Station was established in 1874 and has a museum.

Enjoy!

Briansmom
05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Also in Manteo, which is about 20 minutes away, there is the outdoor play called "The Lost Colony" which tells the story of Virginia Dare and the first settlement there and what happened to it. It plays nightly except Sundays from May 27th to August 20th.