PDA

View Full Version : would you allow your in-laws???

susie & perla's mom
05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
We are less that a month away sailing on Disney Dream followed by a 4night stay at Universal. Last night my husband told me that his mom asked him if they could stay at our house while we are gone. I have a great relationship with my husband except, when it comes to my MIL. I feel like she does not know the word PRIVACY. They will be in town from a five hour drive to attend a graduation party, and it's gonna be my MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and their DOG!

Momto3littlemice
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Gotta say yes for the in-laws... but I draw the line at the dog!!:mickey:

kakn7294
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I think I'd put anything of any importance in the master bedroom, lock the door, and take the key on the cruise with me (and maybe put on a super-duty lock!). I'd only say yes to the dog if it's a well-behaved dog who's not going to ruin my home and only if they will be cleaning up after it. My FIL's wife drives me nuts when she comes to my home (and they only live 30 min away) because she "makes herself at home" and I feel that's an invasion of my personal space. I know how you feel but you have to do what will keep the peace too.

disneymom15
05-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow, I don't think I'd let them stay at my house if I weren't there. If something came up missing or broken, it could be awkward.

catkrazy
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Several years ago my husband sprung on me at the last minute that his cousin, wife, 2 kids and DOG were coming to stay for a weekend while they had work done. Granted we were home but I was adamant that the DOG was not to come!! Well it had no where else to go so I told him if it was behaved, didn't chase our cats, stayed in the room with them and was flea & tick free it could stay. It all worked out in the end but it was a lot of stress for me. I would make sure to mention the flea & tick part because once those are in your house it is hard to get rid of.

Mickey'sGirl
05-07-2011, 04:16 PM
All dogs and relatives are welcome. My sister and her daughter and dogs have been living with us and our dogs for 2 years. My MinL will often stay on our house with one of her sisters when we are away. I have nothing to hide, BUT our papers and financial stuff is kept in a private area. If you aren't comfortable with it though, you should speak up. It is your home.

Disney-4-Me
05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Nope!:shake::stop:

Whoever invited them to the graduation party should help arrange a place for them to stay. I'd probably call that person and offer to split the cost a of a hotel room with them.

Tiggerlovr9000
05-08-2011, 03:26 AM
I wish I had this opportunity but my mil passed away 9 years ago.. Time is so short and the things in your house are just things. These are the people that gave you the wonderful husband that you have..Please don't make this an issue.. Whenever family comes to our house they are not treated as guests. The refrigerator is always open..And if they want to sleep over they can but we do not give up our bedroom...:blush::blush:

MNNHFLTX
05-08-2011, 11:22 AM
We would probably let the in-laws stay--it would be too awkward to try and explain why not, especially if the house will be empty.

That said, you have to do what is comfortable for you. At the very least, I would do as others have suggested and lock up anything personal and make your bedroom off-limits.

TheMartellFamily
05-08-2011, 11:54 AM
The family staying is ok, just put away stuff that you do not want them to get into to. But I am not a dog person so I would say no to the dog.

susie & perla's mom
05-08-2011, 12:23 PM
thank you guys!!! I was very open to my husband. I told him that I'm not comfortable about it and reminded him what that DOG did to our brand new installed flooring the last time they were here. But I also told him that that final decision belongs to him, so just wish me luck:fingers::fingers:

DizneyRox
05-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah, the dog wouldn't be my problem, it would be the snooping in-laws. Good luck... You can laways put some stuff in the door cracks to validate your concerns for next time.

Carol
05-08-2011, 07:40 PM
I think this is hard. Everyone has such a different relationship with their in-laws - as well as pets. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with either.

I agree- you have to do what is comfortable for you.

buzznwoodysmom
05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
I think the inlaws would be ok for me. I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but I also wouldn't want to tell them no. The dog however, would be a big fat NO. We have dogs that we've choosen to be outside dogs, so there's no way someone else's dog is going to be staying in our house. I hope it all works out.

Dulcee
05-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the dog but might have some issues with the in-laws lol

All depends on your relationship. Do what you and your husband are most comfortable with.

Melanie
05-09-2011, 08:11 AM
I think this is hard. Everyone has such a different relationship with their in-laws - as well as pets.

Definitely! I'd personally have a big issue with the dog, but would welcome my in-laws.

BellesRose
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
Family is always welcome but pets are a no, non-negotiable.

Disney-4-Me
05-11-2011, 12:04 AM
I just want to add that I've actually invited my MIL to come to Disney on vacation with us. And it was my idea.

I just think if there is already friction I wouldn't want to take the chance that things would get worse if my MIL was snooping.

I'm just saying...;)

DisneyDog
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm with Dulcee...the dog can stay but the in-laws can't. LOL. I'm a huge dog lover. The in-laws, while I love them, have a tendency to destroy things when they are at our house. I will have an immaculate house waiting for them, and within minutes it looks like a tornado ripped through. Also, they are very careless with other people's possessions. Bang car doors into other cars, stuff like that. My in-laws are coming to spend the weekend at our house in two weeks and I am already stressing about what's going to happen.