PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Morning Plan

rob121
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
We're really only interested in a few things at the Animal Kingdom on our upcoming trip. I was wondering what you guys think of this plan. Also note, we're going in July (HOT!) so I expect the parks to be pretty busy.

1. Arrive within 30 minutes of park opening

we try to get there at opening, but realistically we never make it at rope drop

2. Get fast passes for EE

I've heard that you don't have to go all the way to the ride to get FP. Is this true?

3. Go see the Lion King show

this will be our first time seeing this show, I'm interested in any advise on how best to see this
This is the main attraction on the list since it will be the only thing new for our entire family

4. Drop DS3 and DW at Dinoland play area and take DS7 on first ride of EE

Of course DW probably plans on dropping me off at the park and taking DS7 on EE!
We'll just have to flip for it.

5. Get FP for Kilimanjaro Safari

6. Ride Kali River Rapids - Whole family

My thinking is that in my experience Kali River Rapids usually has a shorter standby wait than Kilimanjaro Safari
What do you think?

7. Use FP on Kilimanjaro Safari

So what do you think? Can we do this and be back to our hotel by lunch time? Even during the busy time of July?

Any other suggestions for seeing these attractions?

Ah the planning, so much fun.

HoosierDisneyFan
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Added suggestions:

Our family loves Flight of Wonder (bird show) interesting and funny!l
What about Finding Nemo The Muscial? It's a good as well.
Have you seen Tough to be a Bug? Worth doing at least once.
The Pangani Forest Exploration Trail is very interesting to see the Apes.
The Maharajah Jungle Trek is great for view of the Tigers!
We also have to eat at Maharajah Jungle Trek!!

If you have the time I would slow down and take in all of Animal Kingdom!

Maleficent_vf
05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I'd say you're plan is probably tough to squeeze into a morning. AK is HUGE and it takes a lot of walking to get from one place to another - add the crowds and the July temps - yikes! If you want to do KS, head there first thing - before the line gets long and the animals get in out of the heat - instead of waiting to get a FP. Our experience has been to hit KS first and then head back to get in line for Lion King. The first LK show of the day is typically around 10AM.

Based on the ages of your kids, I'd suggest taking in Finding Nemo: The Musical and It's Tough to be a Bug. Both are great. Nemo is arguably the best live show at WDW (Lion King is right there with it).

If you are absolutely locked in to just AM at AK, you'll probably need to trim your to-do list. If you can adjust your schedule, AK is a great park that really needs more than just a portion of a day - there is so much to see outside of the attractions.

PrettyMinnie
05-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I agree, you will need a little more than a morning to accomplish everything on your list. I would suggest:

1. Grabbing fast passes for EE and then heading over to the safari. You shouldn't have to wait long if you get there pretty quickly. The walk from EE to the safari isn't too bad and the animals will be out! :thumbsup:

2.Use EE FP/Dinoland play area. When we have been during busy times in the past, the amount of time it takes to do the safari and walk back over to EE is perfect timing for FP.

3. It was not in your original plan, but taking the time to see the Finding Nemo show would be fun and I think you both of your DS would enjoy it. You could also plan lunch around this depending on show times.

4. FOTLK

5. Kali River Rapids. This might fit better somewhere else, but then you would have to deal with be damp. Though in July, you might welcome it.

Just some suggestions. Happy planning! :cloud9:

WDWdriver
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Animal Kingdom in a morning? I'm so sorry that you will miss most of the park's attractions and atmosphere.

alaMode
05-07-2011, 11:33 PM
We arrived at 9:30am (we never seem to make rope drop either!) and we managed to do quite a bit before leaving at 1:30pm:
Autographs w/ Pooh, Eeyore, & Tigger
Finding Nemo
EE (FP)
Kali River Rapids (got soaked!)
Festival of the Lion King
Autographs w/ Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Goofy, Miss Bunny
Lunch at FlameTree

The autographs took up the most time, but they're a must-do for my son. We never even went to "Africa" and avoided Dinoland. AK crowd level was "5", which is a big difference from July.

I would give yourselves until at least 2pm to accomplish all that you want to see and do!

Fastpasssteve
05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
If you're going to do AK in the morning, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and get up early. I suggest getting an early reservation for Tusker House. It is located right next to the Kilmanjaro Safari. You can eat breakfast there deep in the park. Send someone with all your tickets to get FastPasses for EE, and then walk right onto the Safari. I would definitely go see the Finding Nemo show. It is wonderfully produced. I love it.

Ed
05-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Animal Kingdom in a morning? I'm so sorry that you will miss most of the park's attractions and atmosphere.

:ditto:
I couldn't agree more, Ron. AK is an amazing park. We used to rush through it and move on to another park the same day until we realized that we were missing the best parts. Now, we arrive close to opening, and are usually there until the park closes for the day.

MrPeetrie
05-08-2011, 07:40 AM
If you're going to do AK in the morning, you're gonna have to bite the bullet and get up early. I suggest getting an early reservation for Tusker House. It is located right next to the Kilmanjaro Safari. You can eat breakfast there deep in the park. Send someone with all your tickets to get FastPasses for EE, and then walk right onto the Safari. I would definitely go see the Finding Nemo show. It is wonderfully produced. I love it.

I agree with this start. Kilimanjaro Safari is usually best first thing in the morning anyway.
Also. Festival of the Lion King usually doesn't have its first showing until 10:00. So you would have to adjust that.
Truthfully, I think they've added enough to AK to make it a full day park.

LovinWDW
05-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Here is how I would approach it.
1. Be there at rope drop! It is so worth it.
2. Have your wife and kids walk directly to the Safari.
3. You go directly to EE and get the fast passes then walk to KS and meet up with your family to ride. (if you do this at rope drop, your wait will be about 10 mins, even in July, we do it all the time)
4. After KS walk to KRR and ride in the stand by line. Wait will not be too long earlier in the day. This tends to get more crowded as the day gets hotter.
5. After KRR you'll be able to use your EE fast passes.
Then focus on the shows you want to see. I also agree with the Nemo show for the kids (and you) it's awesome!

Keep in mind this is only if you're there at rope drop. Doing this 30 mins later will take much more time.

DisneyDoug2
05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
I agree with most responders here, that is a lot of walking to get meet your plans and you will miss a lot of interesting things along the way. If possible I suggest and entire day in the park. Just be ready for the heat, for what ever reason AK seems to be hotter them the other parks!

PrettyMinnie
05-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I agree with most responders here, that is a lot of walking to get meet your plans and you will miss a lot of interesting things along the way. If possible I suggest and entire day in the park. Just be ready for the heat, for what ever reason AK seems to be hotter them the other parks!

I agree! AK is hot, hot, hot! I thought I was the only one! Maybe Disney does it on purpose as park of the park theme. ;)

Mrs Bus Driver
05-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't forget about child swap if both you and DW want to ride EE. That means that DS could first ride with mom and then stay on for a 2nd ride with dad while the younger one stays with the waiting parent. That way no one feels slighted about missing the ride. Hope this helps :mickey:

Disney-4-Me
05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
You asked about the location of the Fastpass machine for EE. They are almost all of the way to the ride so don't count on this saving you any time.

AK is our least favorite park. We don't spend a lot of time there so I can relate to your plan. It's hard to estimate how long everything will take because of the long distances, heat and crowds. We always just try to be flexible with our plan, but everything seems to take longer than we think it will.

JPL
05-09-2011, 08:09 PM

:ditto:
I couldn't agree more, Ron. AK is an amazing park. We used to rush through it and move on to another park the same day until we realized that we were missing the best parts. Now, we arrive close to opening, and are usually there until the park closes for the day.

Couldn't agree more! I usually hit AK at least twice a trip and can literally spend all day there just wandering around watching the animals. The details in the park are amazing and often overlooked by people rushing through the park like it's a checklist. I usually arrive early in the morning get a FP for Everest then head over to ride the Safarin in the morning and explore Pangani Forest. After I am done I head back to to Maharajah Jungle Trek on my way back to Everest. I take stroll through the Tree of Life Garden and then catch a show or 2 before lunch. After Lunch I will repeat the Walking trails and hit Dinoland for a while and then watch the parade. After the parade I usually ride the safari again since different animals are more active later in the day. The best part about AK is each animal exhibit is different every time you see it. You can watch the Gorillas have breakfast in the morning and then watch them lounging and playing later in the day.

MrPeetrie
05-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Couldn't agree more! I usually hit AK at least twice a trip and can literally spend all day there just wandering around watching the animals. The details in the park are amazing and often overlooked by people rushing through the park like it's a checklist. I usually arrive early in the morning get a FP for Everest then head over to ride the Safarin in the morning and explore Pangani Forest. After I am done I head back to to Maharajah Jungle Trek on my way back to Everest. I take stroll through the Tree of Life Garden and then catch a show or 2 before lunch. After Lunch I will repeat the Walking trails and hit Dinoland for a while and then watch the parade. After the parade I usually ride the safari again since different animals are more active later in the day. The best part about AK is each animal exhibit is different every time you see it. You can watch the Gorillas have breakfast in the morning and then watch them lounging and playing later in the day.

My thoughts exactly. We usually schedule at least two days at AK per trip so we can fully (and slowly) explore this beautifull park.