PDA

View Full Version : First trip, late Ohana

crsimpson
05-06-2011, 08:43 AM
This is our first trip to WDW. DD was there 3 years ago and Dh when he was little. For me and our 2 sons this is our first time. So far we have adr's for Coral Reef, Rainforest Cafe, Ohana for breakfast with Lilo and Stitch, and Whispering Canyon. I made an adr for 9:50 PM for Ohana our first day in MK. I am considering cancelling b/c we'll miss all the kid activities and probably not be seated in time for the fireworks. We will spend another day in MK so we'll get to see it then but I really wanted Ohana for the kid stuff. Is it worth going so late? This is a last minute trip so I'm having a really hard time getting reservations!

WIMickeymommy
05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't give up my ressie for that time. We are going to WDW in Feb and Ohana is one of our top restaurants to try. :thumbsup:

What I can suggest, if you are up for it, is to just keep checking for cancellations. I have read a lot of people who are persistent in checking and will eventually get a time they want. Then you can cancel your later ressie.

Good luck and have a great time!!

crsimpson
05-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks. I've been checking almost obsessively! I'm more excited than the kids about this trip! I'll keep it and hope for an earlier time. I'm just hoping the experience is just as good without the kid games and entertainment.

A Big Kid
05-06-2011, 09:52 AM
If you think 9:50 PM is late, consider this: I have never had an ADR past 7:00 pm for Ohana that wasnt delayed by 30 minutes or more.

Like the other poster said, keep checking back both on the phone and online for additional ADR's.

magicalmom
05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Does anybody know: would it be worth while for the OP to touch base with the Ohana host stand to see if there are late cancellations or no-shows?

BrerGnat
05-06-2011, 12:47 PM
It would be worthwhile to show up at 4:55pm, stand at the hostess booth, and try to get seated right then and there.

Honestly, OP, don't go just for the entertainment. It's not all that. Go for the food! If you really aren't interested in the food, don't stress so much about it.

I agree that a 9:50pm ressie is really pushing it, especially with kids.

We had a 9:55 pm ressie on our upcoming trip and now we can't make it due to plans changing with our family who lives in Orlando. SO, I'm trying to get an ADR for another day, but it's all booked. We plan to show up at the start of dinner service as a walk in. We were advised by a server who has been there for YEARS that we could always try that and it usually works, but you have to be there RIGHT at 5. They will seat walk ups because people are usually late for the first ADRs.

crsimpson
05-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Oh the food looks great and is the main reason we want to eat there. I want the bread and dessert, dh wants the meat lol:) I just wasn't sure if it was as much fun. We are normally late eaters, not quite that late but on the weekends 8-9 isn't unusual for us. The kids are good in restaurants so even if it's quieter they will be okay. I will try to convince dh to get in line early and try it. He's not very good at waiting when there is more fun to be had:)

Pop Centurion
05-06-2011, 10:37 PM
If you can get an earlier ADR I'd do that so you will have time to return to MK to watch wishes. I say this since you mentioned it was you & your sons first time and watching Wishes in the park is the perfect ending to a first visit. Sure you can see it on you next visit to MK but first night will set the tone for a memorable vacation IMO.

LudwigVonDrake
05-07-2011, 10:44 AM
If you can somehow time an ADR with the showing of Wishes, it's cool to watch it from 'Ohana. They dim the lights and pipe the soundtrack into the restaurant.

A Big Kid
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Oh, yeah. Earlier is much better I found out on my last trip. We usually end up with later ADR's. After the marathon, my wife and I split a hotdog for lunch at Casey's because we had ADR's at Ohana at 5:00. Got right in and the meat was definately jucier than I ever remember it being. I guess it did not have time to dry out.

brivers222
05-07-2011, 10:35 PM
this is all very good to know... i have never had dinner there but LOVE LOVE LOVE the breakfast.... we are booking dinner twice for our trip.