PDA

View Full Version : Wine and dine kid's races

ledudes
05-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Has anyone ever done any of the kid's races during marathon weekend? I am considering it for my kids, but just wondering how it all works. 100 meters seems far for a one year old.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
We didn't do the kids races this time (DD did the 5K with us), but from what I understand they are quite a bit of fun, with lots of excitement.

There were tons of kids around the resort over marathon weekend with their kids medals, so it seems to be quite popular.

DisnIse
05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
My 2 year old did the 100m back in 2001. If you think of it as the length of a football field (ish), it isn't that bad. We were very proud because he came in third..... among kids who were NOT carried or dragged by their parents!!! :thumbsup:

Honestly, it's fun. It's cute. They get medals, and they're treated like ESPN royalty. My 12 year old actually thought the camera crews were really broadcasting on ESPN!

ledudes
07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Do all age groups run at the same time or different? I am wondering how I will handle 3 different aged kids.

Melanie
07-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about marathon weekend in January or Wine & Dine weekend in October?

ledudes
07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
The wine and dine in October

teambricker04
08-01-2011, 05:33 PM
From my experience with the kids races during the marathon, the kids were put into groups based on age. Luckily, my kids were in the same group as they are just over 2 years apart. They are given bibs just like real racers and put into "heats". At the finish line there are characters, CMs, and photographers cheering them to the end and once they cross the finishline they are given rubber medals. You can have their picture taken by the professional photogs with a backdrop (Our experience with this was HORRIBLE as the photogs were racer photographers not really use to kids). My husband ran with our younger son who was about 18mo at the time. He was totally overwhelmed with the waiting and the amount of people and cried the entire time. My other son who was 3 at the time was fine and raced to the end... I nearly lost him. Overall it was a fun experience and we would do it again, but maybe plan it a little better on our own end. 100 meters seems long and a 1 year old would probably be carried part of the way. Wouldn't a 1 year old be in the diaper dash? I'm not sure as we didn't watch the diaper dash.