PDA

View Full Version : DVC "Use Year"

KylesMom
05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
We've been receiving e-mails from The Timeshare Store for quite awhile and are actually contemplating buying (finally!) for our 20th Wedding Anniversary. While we haven't taken Disney's tour, we've been looking into this for awhile. There is one thing I have a question on.

When there's a resale on the market, it always lists something like, "June use year".

Does that mean that you must use those points in June at your home resort (booking 11 months out), or at a different resort the month of June, booking 7 months out?

Thanks for any help you can give me in understanding this! If this is the case, it is going to be very difficult to decide what "use month" would be best for us to purchase.

Disney4us2
05-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Carol,

Since I am new to DVC, I am trying to figure this all out as well.

I financed through Disney and was given a March use year. I bought on 9/11/10 and had to bank my points by the end of October 2010.

We are going on points for our August trip. I was able to book in January for our August trip even though I didn't have the extra points in my account until March 2011. I have the smallest contract allowed to buy in at 100 points per year. Since I banked my 100 points I had 200 to work with. I will bank the balance for our July 2012 trip. It is just my DD and me so we only need a studio. I hope to add on eventually, but will look for a March use year to keep it the same.

I hope this helped a bit. I look forward to seeing the answers as I am still learning all about it.

laprana
05-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Your Use Year is the month that you will be given all of your points for the year. So, for example, if you have a June Use Year, you will get all of your 2011 points on June 1 of this year. Then next year, you will get all of your 2012 points on June 1, 2012. You can use your points at any time during the year, not just during your Use Year month.

The month for your use year also determines when you have to bank any points you have left over in your use year. We have an April Use Year, so we have to book all of our left over points by November each year.

The only advice I can give on how to choose the best Use Year month is to base it on how you vacation. If you go in June every year, then it would probably be best to have a Use Year month in January through May because then you will always have your points available for that travel year before you take your trip. We go every year in May, so having an April Use Year works really well for us. We have our points in our account each year on April 1, so they are there and ready to be used in May. Although, I think with the banking/borrowing system, this isn't too big of a deal. Hope this helps! :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
For example: A June Use Year would mean, on June 1 2011 you would get your yearly allotment of points and you would have until the end of May 2012 to use those.

MinnieMommie
05-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I am excited for you that you might become a DVC member. What a nice anniversary present! We used to vacation October every year and told our guide it was our favorite month. Based on that she advised us to select a September use year. Since that time we visit during a few usual months and have not found the use year to be a help or hindrance based on how we travel.:mickey:

KylesMom
05-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you for all of the great responses. Now I fully understand what Use Year entails & we can plan accordingly when we should best look at WLV resales. Thanks again! :mickey: