PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pan - Would you refurb it?

Buttercup
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm a fan of the Peter Pan ride, simply because it's nostalgic and frankly hasn't changed in ages. I love how you 'fly' above everything in your own little pirate ship and it re-tells the story in just a few short minutes.

But is it time for a refurb?
I don't think the story or show should be changed, but I do think some newer, more moving/fluid animatronics might be in order. There is a lot of movement in the actual movie - think of how Peter can jump, twirl and fly... Hook & Smee can certainly make some comical gestures with their bodies in the movie as well. But in the ride, they are fairly stiff and choppy in what little movements they have.
Think of the mermaid lagoon in the ride -- the one or two mermaids whose tails click back & forth is awkward. And I even think that the forced perspective of London and Neverland island being shrunken down (to apparently look like you're flying high above it) is a little odd and the effect doesn't really work for me - especially when you compare it to the amazing visual effects on other rides in the park.

So what are your thoughts? I don't think anyone will dispute that it's a classic and still should remain in place, but maybe a touch of modern animatronics and effects would give it a whole new life?

(then again, the line is always so long for Peter Pan, chances are Disney doesn't see a need to change anything!)

crltkcagle
05-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I agree its a classic but it could use a little updating. Maybe some fresh paint too.

MNNHFLTX
05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
The forced perspective is one of things on the ride that I love. You let your imagination take over and pretend you are soaring over London!

Whether or not it needs a makeover--eh, I'm not so sure. If so, you might as well make over all the Fantasyland dark rides. I don't believe they were ever intended to be high-tech, just take people on a fanciful journey through a fairytale or story. Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Peter Pan ride at WDW was a bit more like the one at Disneyland--the course of the ride at DL seems to take you in closer to the scenes of the story. It makes it more magical to me.

Disney-4-Me
05-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I think the length of the line answers the question for you.;)

Sylvia
05-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Peter Pan's Flight is my favorite attration in the MK. I just got back from Disneyland and I liked the DL version, but my overall favorite part of the attration is the London scene in the WDW version. I think it's better because of the lighting. It really looks like London and seems like a beautiful fairyland.

DisneyNut6777
05-03-2011, 01:36 AM
In 2009, and 2010 my DW and I could not believe the size of the line for Peter Pans Flight, the last time I had climbed aboard one of the ships to take a magical flight, had to have been in the late 80's. We will be back for a 7 day visit this september. Gona take the time to wait in line this time. :D

Hazmat
05-03-2011, 01:53 AM
Like all these discussions it varies between people. Some want to see change where as others prefer to leave it as it is.

I personally would make the animatronics smoother but with no more movement. Remove the "clunkiness," other than that and a fresh lick of paint I don't think it needs anything else for the time bieng. As has been said. Look at the the length of the line! :p

seanyred
05-03-2011, 06:53 AM
In 2009, and 2010 my DW and I could not believe the size of the line for Peter Pans Flight, the last time I had climbed aboard one of the ships to take a magical flight, had to have been in the late 80's. We will be back for a 7 day visit this september. Gona take the time to wait in line this time. :D

One Word: FastPass. When you get to the park in the morning head straight to Fantasyland and pick up fastpasses for everyone. I love this ride but refuse to wait in the stand-by line.

elmjimmlm
05-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I wouldn't change it...I love it just the way it is...:mickey:

DisneyNut6777
05-03-2011, 07:54 AM
One Word: FastPass. When you get to the park in the morning head straight to Fantasyland and pick up fastpasses for everyone. I love this ride but refuse to wait in the stand-by line.

Excellent idea!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion, I just wrote it down in the book:D

AXOAlum
05-03-2011, 08:35 AM
One word.... FIGMENT!! lol - I'd be so afraid that someone would go a little nuts and I'd end up with something horrible!

I'm all for some fresh paint but other than that, I'm not a fan! :mickey:

azcavalier
05-03-2011, 09:03 AM
I would update it a little. It is a classic, though. Love the suspended dark ride, and love the forced perspective. Especially the opening part when you leave the house and fly over London.

But I wonder if you couldn't do a little more with it, without ruining it. The Winnie the Pooh dark ride has some neat effects (I love the scene where Pooh floats up and away).

darthmacho
05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
I think it should stay the way it is, and here's why: There are so few classic dark rides left and they are the signature rides of Fantasyland.Your ideas were well thought out, but let's keep a little of the old Fantasyland while we still have them. :mickey:

Buttercup
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Isn't Peter Pan the only Fantasyland dark ride left that hasn't been touched? (Even Snow White changed over the years, and it's going to be gone soon).

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it's untouched. But when you look at it through the eyes of kids who directly compare it to the other current rides in Fantasyland, it seems a little dated. I just think there needs to be a little better lighting (not all black-light/neon painted characters) and maybe some more fluid animatronics. But keep the general ride/storyline the exact same.

My 6yo son didn't understand the forced perspective. He was wondering why the mermaids were "dolls", and why we were flying over a mini-city! :D

Victor Kelly
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
The only thing that could be done is updated AA's. Other than that paint. The sounds is way better now than it was in 2005.

It is just so classic, I would not do anything with it.

CU Tiger
05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
This is a classic, but a small face lift to an old ride does not hurt. It should be kept a classic, but do not let it get old. Because of the lines and the ride is the same, we only ride it if the lines are short. It is not a must do anymore. It would be nice for a good update and this to become a must do again.:mickey:

Goofster
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I enjoy the ride, but it needs a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint. The ride always feels somewhat dirty to me and need of a clean up. But other than that, it's a great ride and we always get the fast pass for it. I would never wait in the stand by line for it (it's not that good). :D

Patricia
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I love the classics and think it needs to stay true to the story but could use some sprucing up. This ride in Disneyland always seems flawless and I can never pinpoint what makes it feel better.

I think in MK, they need to redo the building walls so they disappear more. I always feel like I'm in a building. In Disneyland the walls fade away, (maybe twinkling stars?) it just seems crisper and brighter somehow...

Again, I'm really not sure, I guess I'll need to go back and check again.

PopeCharming
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
There has to be a market in Fantasyland for short, effective rides based on Disney films- and Peter Pan fits that niche very well. Perhaps some anamatronics could be made less clunky-- and having Pan seem to fly, as Buttercup suggests, seems like a great idea.

But on the whole, I'd leave it as it is, and surely keep the element of flying above the various scenes.

Laughin' place
05-06-2011, 01:38 PM
This is my favorite attraction in MK. I firmly agree to new paint, a good cleaning, and maybe some enhancements to lighting. I think Id like newer AIs,so long as they were identical in appearance to the old ones. Lets hope the ride never changes too much or god forbid, goes away.

AdventurerKim
05-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm all for the fresh paint, but don't change the ride itself. It's an original and should remain as is.

LudwigVonDrake
05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
It's still a charming ride but I would clean it up (a little paint and polish). It needs attention :mickey:

CanadaLovesDisney
05-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The tin foil volcano has GOT to go!

Mousemates
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
beyond a little touch up job on the paint I wouldn't change a thing.... I just don't feel like you need to "high tech" it. Its a ride that allows the most high tech item of all (the human brain with all its imagination capabilities) to take over and put you in the fun. To me, its as close to "dark ride perfection" as you can hope to get.

thrillme
05-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry y'all. I agree...Peter Pan, Snow White, etc...allllll need to come into the 21st century. The basic story can remain the same but it needs a little "tech".

Maybe a hologram or at the very least a cartoon lead of Peter Pan...

Maybe a little more "action", perhaps a gentle spray or water. AND DEFINATELY MORE PAINT.

ryca1dreams
05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
As most people suggested, I would just clean it up a little, smooth out the mechanics. Maybe refine the audio.

Yes, the ride is elementary and very basic, but it makes us use our imagination and makes me feel like I'm flying off to Neverland - makes me feel like a kid again. I say leave the high-tech wizardry to Tomorrowland and Epcot.

Mickey91
05-10-2011, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't change a thing other than general maintenance and upkeep.

kemps@wdw
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Obvoiusly, based on the usual wait times, a refurb @ Peter Pan is not absolutely necessary.
And it's a personal fave of mine as well! That being said, I do believe that with the technological advances Disney has made over the years, the attraction could benefit from a possible update of the interior and the the visuals.

linedropper
05-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I feel you should leave this one the way t is. Looks the same as I saw it the first time I ever went. Leave it!

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree that some paint would help the ride. I am also one of the one who would really like to see more upto date animatronics. Im not asking for models as complex as say the ones in the American Adventure. But yes smoother movement would be great.

That being said, There isnt much else that id like to see done. I like the current scene progression and the forced perspectives of London.

Going to high tech would probably change the feel of the ride, which I love. Holograms or projections on to a water screen (davy jones at POTC) would take away from the ride I feel.

Leave us enough to still use our Imaginations but make it smother is all I would say do.

BrerGnat
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
This is my favorite ride in Fantasyland (at both MK and DL). I have very fond childhood memories of riding Peter Pan, and for some reason, that ride made an impact.

I like DL's version MUCH better, but they are both good. I'd agree with freshening up the ride a bit, but I actually LIKE the old timey animatronics. Some of these new animatronics sort of freak me out. I don't want to LITERALLY feel like I'm riding through an animated movie...