PDA

View Full Version : Reported - Osama bin Laden killed in firefight

Dsnygirl
05-02-2011, 04:56 AM
Reported on CNN and news worldwide...

(CNN) -- Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil, is dead, officials said -- almost 10 years after the attacks that killed about 3,000 people.

The founder and leader of al Qaeda was killed by U.S. forces Monday in a mansion in Abbottabad, north of the Pakistani capital of Islamabad, along with other family members, a senior U.S. official told CNN.

In an address to the nation Sunday night, U.S. President Barack Obama called bin Laden's death "the most significant achievement to date in our nation's effort to defeat al Qaeda."

"Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan," Obama said. "A small team of Americans carried out the operation with extraordinary courage and capability. No Americans were harmed. They took care to avoid civilian casualties. After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."

A congressional source familiar with the operation said bin Laden was shot in the head.

A U.S. official told CNN that bin Laden was buried at sea. The official said his body was handled in the Islamic tradition, but did not elaborate.

Half a world away, the scene outside the White House was one of pure jubilation.

Hundreds reveled through the night, chanting "USA! USA!" Others chanted "Hey, hey, hey, goodbye!" in reference to the demise of bin Laden. Many also spontaneously sang the national anthem.

In New York, a cheering crowd gathered at ground zero -- the site where the twin towers of the World Trade Center once stood. Strains of "God Bless America" could be heard intermittently trickling through the crowd.

One former New York firefighter -- forced to retire due to lung ailments suffered as a result of the dust from ground zero -- said he was there to let the 343 firefighters who died in the attacks know "they didn't die in vain."

"It's a war that I feel we just won," he said. "I'm down here to let them know that justice has been served."

Bob Gibson, a retired New York police officer, said the news of bin Laden's death gave him a sense of "closure."

"I never thought this night would come, that we would capture or kill bin Laden," he said. "And thank the Lord he has been eliminated."

The news also brought some relief to family members of those killed on 9/11.

Jim Riches, who lost his firefighter son when the World Trade Center's north tower collapsed, said he was gratified when he learned of bin Laden's death.

"(My) son still isn't coming home," he told CNN. "(There's) no closure, but at last at least some justice for the murder of 3,000 Americans, finally."

"This is important news for us, and for the world," Gordon Felt, president of Families of Flight 93, said in a statement. "It cannot ease our pain, or bring back our loved ones. It does bring a measure of comfort that the mastermind of the September 11th tragedy and the face of global terror can no longer spread his evil."

Bin Laden eluded capture for years, once reportedly slipping out of a training camp in Afghanistan just hours before a barrage of U.S. cruise missiles destroyed it.

He had been implicated in a series of deadly, high-profile attacks that had grown in their intensity and success during the 1990s. They included a deadly firefight with U.S. soldiers in Somalia in October 1993, the bombings of two U.S. embassies in East Africa that killed 224 in August 1998, and an attack on the USS Cole that killed 17 sailors in October 2000.

In his speech, Obama reiterated that the United States is not fighting Islam.

"I've made clear, just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11, that our war is not against Islam. Bin Laden was not a Muslim leader; he was a mass murderer of Muslims," Obama said.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), a Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, released a statement Monday morning welcoming the death of bin Laden.

"As we have stated repeatedly since the 9/11 terror attacks, bin Laden never represented Muslims or Islam. In fact, in addition to the killing of thousands of Americans, he and al Qaeda caused the deaths of countless Muslims worldwide," the statement said.

While the death of bin Laden "is a significant victory," the war on terrorism is not over, said Frances Fragos Townsend, former Homeland Security advisor to President George W. Bush.

"We've been fighting these fractured cells. We've seen the U.S. government, military and intelligence officials deployed around the world," Townsend said. "By no means are these other cells nearly as dangerous as he is, but we will continue to have to fight in chaotic places."

U.S. diplomatic facilities around the world were placed on high alert following the announcement of bin Laden's death, a senior U.S. official said, and the U.S. State Department issued a "worldwide caution" for Americans.

The travel alert warned of the "enhanced potential for anti-American violence given recent counter-terrorism activity in Pakistan." Some fear al Qaeda supporters may try to retaliate against U.S. citizens or U.S. institutions.

But for now, many Americans were soaking up the historic moment.

"It's what the world needed," said Dustin Swensson, who recently served in Iraq and joined the revelers outside the White House. "(I'll) always remember where I was when the towers went down, and I'm always going to remember where I am now."

CNN's Ed Henry, Jeanne Meserve and Elise Labott contributed to this report.

Please keep discussions regarding this topic from veering off into the politcal realm... it'd be too easy to lose how important this news is by letting politics get in the way! ;)

luvdiznee
05-02-2011, 06:44 AM
For once I didn't sleep with my TV on, so I missed the initial announcement made by our President.

I heard it was announced about 11 pm, et.

Though how could the Pakistan Government not know.

Ed
05-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Finally, there is some level of closure for the families of the thousands of victims of this monster, not just here in the USA, but worldwide. His reign of terror is over, and he finally got his just reward.

But this does not mean that the threat from people of his ilk is over. History shows that someone will step up to take his place. We can only hope and pray that the replacement is not as diabolical and heartless as OBL.

MarkC
05-02-2011, 09:52 AM
What does Osama's answering machine say right now?

"Sorry, Osama can't come to the phone right now because he's dead".

princessgirls
05-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Finally...Justice for this monster.

So thankful for our highly trained special operations troops!!!

So many families have had so much heartache since 9/11/01, that they deserve the satisfaction of knowing that our government has not let them down.

Julie:mickey:

DizneyRox
05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Cue the conspiracy theorists who will argue that it never happened. In reading the articles, it was a head shot AND he's already buried at sea? Without proof, there's going to be plenty of fuel for coverups, etc.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of: "Without pictures, it never happened."

RAIDER
05-02-2011, 11:17 AM
I woke up to the news this morning in the UK and it was great to see people in New York and by the White House .
I cant believe he was found in a large luxury building with 14ft walls near the capital of Pakistan ... Theres alot of questions to be asked on this alone ???

Lets hope this is the first of many captures now :thumbsup:
A gutsy call by Obama ,he got it right well done to him and the CIA /Seals ( thats the info were getting in the UK ) :thumbsup:

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Mere days after receiving his new iPhone, Osama bin Laden gravely regrets being taught how to use Facebook's "check-in" feature.

magicofdisney
05-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Mere days after receiving his new iPhone, Osama bin Laden gravely regrets being taught how to use Facebook's "check-in" feature.
Nice! :)

I still want to see the death certificate.

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Cue the conspiracy theorists who will argue that it never happened. In reading the articles, it was a head shot AND he's already buried at sea? Without proof, there's going to be plenty of fuel for coverups, etc.

There is good reason for the fact that he was already buried. He was a Muslim, and the tradition is to bury the dead within 24 hours. The President wished to have it be known that we respected his religion and followed protocol.

The burial was done at sea so that there would be no location on earth where a shrine to his body could be erected.

It happened. The conspiracy theorists can say what they want, but I guarantee there is photo and video (as well as DNA) evidence that Osama Bin Laden was killed.

This operation has been in the works for many months now. The Pakistani government was "in on it" and was helping the U.S. intelligence community with the entire operation.

My personal thought at this time is that I do not really think that we, as Americans, should celebrate this event. The footage of people gathering in front of the White house and partying is very unsettling for me. It is not much different from the terrorists celebrating their victories when they kill. A human life was lost. He was an evil man, no doubt, but still a human. We should be above celebrating death.

I think we can be relieved that this mastermind of Al Qaeda was finally taken down, but this does not mean the end of terrorism.

In fact, I'd think any sort of large celebratory gathering would be seen as an excellent target for retaliation, and I pray people will be aware of that.

buzznwoodysmom
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
My personal thought at this time is that I do not really think that we, as Americans, should celebrate this event. The footage of people gathering in front of the White house and partying is very unsettling for me. It is not much different from the terrorists celebrating their victories when they kill. A human life was lost. He was an evil man, no doubt, but still a human. We should be above celebrating death.

Totally agree with this statement. DH and I stayed up to watch the announcement last night, and I had a hard time watching the "party goers" around the White House. It was very unsettling for me as well. It reminded me of the "crazy" people I see in other countries cheering in the streets when something bad happens to Americans. I too thought Americans were above that kind of behavior.

luvdiznee
05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
I woke up to the news this morning in the UK and it was great to see people in New York and by the White House .
I cant believe he was found in a large luxury building with 14ft walls near the capital of Pakistan ... Theres alot of questions to be asked on this alone ???

Lets hope this is the first of many captures now :thumbsup:
A gutsy call by Obama ,he got it right well done to him and the CIA /Seals ( thats the info were getting in the UK ) :thumbsup:

Nicely said.

There is good reason for the fact that he was already buried. He was a Muslim, and the tradition is to bury the dead within 24 hours. The President wished to have it be known that we respected his religion and followed protocol.

The burial was done at sea so that there would be no location on earth where a shrine to his body could be erected.

It happened. The conspiracy theorists can say what they want, but I guarantee there is photo and video (as well as DNA) evidence that Osama Bin Laden was killed.

This operation has been in the works for many months now. The Pakistani government was "in on it" and was helping the U.S. intelligence community with the entire operation.

I think we can be relieved that this mastermind of Al Qaeda was finally taken down, but this does not mean the end of terrorism.

In fact, I'd think any sort of large celebratory gathering would be seen as an excellent target for retaliation, and I pray people will be aware of that.

I definitely agree with not "celebrating" this death so much, though he certainly was evil. But I am very unsetteled about the celebrations going on as well. I do hope this brings more closure for the victims of 9/11. But I'm sure because of this, we will need to be even more vigilant, than we are even now.

Ian
05-02-2011, 04:24 PM

I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of: "Without pictures, it never happened."Kinda silly ... if he was still alive, it's not like he'd sit idly by and not say anything. He'd release another video or something. Let them talk if they want. There are still nuts out there who claim 9/11 was an inside job. For every event, there will be kooks coming up with conspiracy theories.

He's dead.

Mere days after receiving his new iPhone, Osama bin Laden gravely regrets being taught how to use Facebook's "check-in" feature.:rotfl:

On the subject of celebrating his death, I can see both sides. I mean, the entire world celebrated Hitler's death and rightly so in my opinion. Evil is evil and you reap what you sow. If you do the things that Bin Laden did during his lifetime, you should pretty much expect people to be dancing (figuratively) on your grave.

DizneyRox
05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I would say that this is the reason why a lot of the world have bad opinions of Americans. I scratch my head at the sports "celebrations" AKA looting, and things like this and think to myslef, you know, I'm kindof dumbfounded at Americans too!

Lately it seems I'm more ashamed to be an American than proud. Well, maybe I should say, ashamed of Americans than proud of.

PirateLover
05-02-2011, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't have taken to the streets, but I'm not ashamed to say I'm happy as a clam that he's dead and I'm proud of the NAVY SEALS who executed the operation. You can be proud to be an American without being proud of every individual American. The terrorists will react how they will react. I really don't think people celebrating will make anything worse. I pray we don't see a retaliatory attack but we can't live our lives in fear. That is what they want.

MNNHFLTX
05-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Totally agree with this statement. DH and I stayed up to watch the announcement last night, and I had a hard time watching the "party goers" around the White House. It was very unsettling for me as well. It reminded me of the "crazy" people I see in other countries cheering in the streets when something bad happens to Americans. I too thought Americans were above that kind of behavior.I am in this camp also. I remember watching young men in some Arab countries out in the streets after 9/11, cheering at the loss of all those innocent American lives, and it repulsed me. So although Bin Laden's death was just and necessary, you will not find me dancing in the streets. Such a tragic ongoing chapter in American history, no--World history deserves thoughtful contemplation rather than rejoicing, IMO.

I do want to say that my heartfelt thanks goes out to those in the military. An operation like this shows the steadfastness, ingenuity and courage of those serving over in Afghanistan (as well as Iraq).

Pop Centurion
05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
My personal thought at this time is that I do not really think that we, as Americans, should celebrate this event. The footage of people gathering in front of the White house and partying is very unsettling for me. It is not much different from the terrorists celebrating their victories when they kill. A human life was lost. He was an evil man, no doubt, but still a human. We should be above celebrating death.I couldn't agree more. Celebrate life not death.

beksy
05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I do want to say that my heartfelt thanks goes out to those in the military. An operation like this shows the steadfastness, ingenuity and courage of those serving over in Afghanistan (as well as Iraq).

Very well said. Our military and their families give so much...the rejoicing should be that they accomplished an important mission with no American lives lost.

I see all of the celebrations on t.v. and I think they missed an important area--Morgantown WV! I live across the river from downtown and people were outside putting off fireworks and cheering most of the night (and this is finals week!). I can still hear the cheers of U S A followed by the official "Let's Go...Mountaineers!" and won't be able to think of healthcare reform and the law (my paper I was working on) without reliving this moment.

Stitchahula
05-02-2011, 07:18 PM
When I told my DS who is only 8 why people were so happy about Bin Laden's death he said" but Mom can't another bad guy step in as leader and keep killing people." I just think it's going to get his followers ticked off. I know a lot of people probably want to know who it was that shot him but I hope they don't release the soldiers name. it would put a target on him or his family IMHO. I've heard people saying if you cut off the snakes head it's over, I think it's more like a star fish. You cut off an appendage and it just grows another. I really hope I'm wrong but I don't think this is the end of this.

NJGIRL
05-02-2011, 07:34 PM

I believe that they killed the monster, but I do not believe they buried him at sea (not this quickly). I think that was said because of the religious requirements. I really don't care as long as he is gone.

I had a coworker who was in the World Trade Center with his family during the first attempt to bring it down. They got out of there with minor injuries but he said it was the scariest thing he had even been through.

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
I know a lot of people probably want to know who it was that shot him but I hope they don't release the soldiers name. it would put a target on him or his family IMHO.

That will never, ever happen. Those special ops forces usually don't have wives and children. If they do, even their wives don't know what they do in their job. It's like, the most upper level top secret secret secret secret clearance. The forces chosen for those kinds of jobs are not the type to want personal glory, nor divulge secrets. Don't spend time worrying about that.

magicalmom
05-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I am proud that President Obama and the USA did what needed to be done.

I am grateful that there has been some measure of justice and closure, not only for 9/11, but for the USS Cole, the embassies, the Mumbai hotels, the Bali bombing, the four people who died in the first attack on the WTC, and for so many other Al Quaida atrocities.

I am content that the man was buried according to his religion, even though his own followers display the mutilated bodies of their victims. we took the moral high ground; it was the right thing to do.

I shudder at the idea that Americans are "celebrating" this death. It is a solemn thing when it is necessary to end a life. We have to understand this, because the terrorists don't.

I am afraid for the future - we will have to be on our guards. I fear that Al Quaida is a hydra - cut off the head and three grow in its place. I hope that would-be terrorist leaders understand from last evening's raid that there will, sooner or later, be consequences for their crimes. Perhaps some will be motivated to seek more constructive ways of making their views known.

BrerGnat
05-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Well said, Kate! :thumbsup:

brownie
05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Kinda silly ... if he was still alive, it's not like he'd sit idly by and not say anything. He'd release another video or something. Let them talk if they want. There are still nuts out there who claim 9/11 was an inside job. For every event, there will be kooks coming up with conspiracy theories.

He's dead.

Not only that, I don't think that a Taliban commander would be threatening retaliation if bin Laden was still alive. I think the Taliban and Al-Qaeda would be doing everything they could to rub it in our noses if bin Laden was alive.

KylesMom
05-03-2011, 12:24 AM
When I told my DS who is only 8 why people were so happy about Bin Laden's death he said" but Mom can't another bad guy step in as leader and keep killing people."

Sadly, this is our childrens' legacy. DS was 3 1/2 when 9-1-1 occurred, and he kept asking why DH and I were so sad. We tried to hide everything from him, but it was all around.

Fast-forward just a few short years, and he understood everything. Including why he was always grilled as a youngster at the airport about his birthday, who his parents were, his address, etcetera. We've only flown to go to Disney, for cryin' out loud! He knew that an evil being was responsible for this, and that he needed to continue to be respectful and brave at the airport if they happened to single him out & remove him from DH and I for a few moments. We prepared him, but I would have never been prepared if that had happened!

Now that he's 13, nothing really shocks him anymore - which is truly a devastation to this mom.

WDWfanatic742
05-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Sadly, this is our childrens' legacy. DS was 3 1/2 when 9-1-1 occurred, and he kept asking why DH and I were so sad. We tried to hide everything from him, but it was all around.

Fast-forward just a few short years, and he understood everything. Including why he was always grilled as a youngster at the airport about his birthday, who his parents were, his address, etcetera. We've only flown to go to Disney, for cryin' out loud! He knew that an evil being was responsible for this, and that he needed to continue to be respectful and brave at the airport if they happened to single him out & remove him from DH and I for a few moments. We prepared him, but I would have never been prepared if that had happened!

Now that he's 13, nothing really shocks him anymore - which is truly a devastation to this mom.

I was 10 and in the 6th grade on 9/11. I kinda had the reaction to it like yeah this is bad but I didn't really understand it either. I will never forget where I was though, sitting in homeroom at school watching it on the news as it was happening...

magicofdisney
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm not an emotional responder. It's just not how I tend to react to situations. However, yesterday I had to continually put my emotions in check. I was glued to the news all day long. Many times a feeling of intense patriotism swelled up within me and I just wanted to cry. I believe some of that came from a sense of relief.

Do I think this is the end of terrorism? No way! Nonetheless, this is a mighty blow to terrorist regimes. Because of this, I understand why some felt the need to celebrate in the manners that were flashed across the TV screens all day yesterday. I don't necessarily agree with it but neither will I disparage them.

bin Laden was an evil man that needed to be brought to justice. Allegedly he was given the option to surrender, therefore he chose his own fate.

DizneyRox
05-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Allegedly he was given the option to surrender, therefore he chose his own fate.
Reports I read was this was a kill mission. Where did you find he was given an option?

magicofdisney
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Reports I read was this was a kill mission. Where did you find he was given an option?
It was on the news yesterday that he was given the option to surrender.

EDIT: According to John Brennan, Obama Counterterrorism Adviser, they would have taken him alive had the opportunity presented itself, but he resisted.

NJGIRL
05-03-2011, 10:09 AM
I understand why some felt the need to celebrate in the manners that were flashed across the TV screens all day yesterday. I don't necessarily agree with it but neither will I disparage them.

I have no problem with the celebrations. This was an evil man who changed the lives of thousands of people. From the people who were actually killed in the attacks, to the people who were killed in the war, the families that will never see their loved ones again, the children who had to grow up without a parent, the child who only get to see their parent once in a while, even to the everyday hassle that we go through now at the airports.

When looking at the celebrations on TV, I see mostly college aged twenty somethings. If you think about it, they are the ones that have grown up being told about this man and his evil, they are the ones who may have lost friends in the war and even parents. They are the ones that may (even tough there isn't one at this time) be worried about a draft.

While that is not my style I don't blame them. To me it's no different than having a grieving family in court cheer when someone is convicted to death for a terrible crime.

As far as the terrorist seeing this and comimng after us. They can't hate us anymore than they already have for many years now. They will try to strike again and hopefully we will be ready, so I don't see this making a difference.

NJGIRL
05-03-2011, 10:14 AM

I have seen both. It was a kill mission (which I tend to believe) and he was given a chance. I think the problem is so much of this information is not official and so much is wrong. I know when I was watching at 10:30 at night (before the president went on) they were reporting that he was killed a week ago and that turned out not to be true.

wdwfansince75
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Had the privilege of working on programs with the Night Stalkers, Seals, AFSOC, and other Snake Eaters, and have a grandson in the Army Rangers...many are married (including my grandson)...Feel privileged, indeed, to know such heroes.

As with may such actions, within a few years, there will be hundreds who will claim a role in this action. Those who were there will remember what they did...Hopefully, the real heroes will be recognized, and those who falsely claim they were there will be exposed.

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Before I start, let me put on my asbestos suit for the flames that will surely come my way.

Ok now that im protected, let me start. The celebrations.... There is a huge difference between what went on across our country and the demonstrations that happened in the Middle east on 9/11. Firstly, 9/11 was not a military strike. There was no stratigic or tactical reason for hitting the towers. Granted the Pentagon was a viable target. The goal of the attack was to sow fear and confusion and prove that the US can not protect its women and children. The attack on Bin Laden was a surgical strike with little to no colateral damage. So when the people in the middle east were dancing in the street, they were happy that innocents were killed. Here in the states, people reacted to the news that the Boggy Man was dead. He had been hyped up to be second cousin to the devil. It is no wonder that people celebrated. There is little difference between that reaction and the family of a murder victem wanting to see the killer be given the death penalty. I do not feel that the american people would ever celebrate the death of innocents.

Next, in regards to Al Qaeda. The killing of Osama bin Laden will likely deal a big psychological blow to al Qaeda but may have little practical impact on an increasingly decentralized group that has operated tactically without him for years. It is also possible that he will be named a martyr and AQ forces will fight more fiercely in his name. Egyptian-born doctor and surgeon Ayman al-Zawahri is al-Qaeda's second-in-command expected to succeed Osama Bin Laden. Zawahri has been the brains behind Bin Laden and his al Qaeda network, and at times its most public face, repeatedly denouncing the United States and its allies in video messages. There are reports that al-Zawahri is not well liked by other leaders within the organization, therefore it is unknown how successful al-Zawahri will be as the head of al Qaeda. Also it should be remembered that every member of al Qaeda had to swear personal allegence to Bin Laen. So we will have to wait and see how effective al Qaeda will be.

Those of you who have said it wont be an end to terrorism are 100% correct. There are way to many terrorist organizations still out there in the world, from the Taliban to the IRA. There will always be groups of people who will use terror to convince others to do things their way. Will there be retaliation attacks? Maybe. It is also possible that attacks that were already being planned will now be called a retaliation attack. There could also be attacks ready to go that were to be triggered upon his death. The man might have been pure evil but he wasnt an idiot.

For people wondering if he was buried at sea, ask yourself this, Why would we keep the body? It isnt going to do us any good. Its just a body. And one that had bad kidneys. No reason to keep it really.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Your milage may vary.

DizneyRox
05-03-2011, 12:14 PM
It was on the news yesterday that he was given the option to surrender.

EDIT: According to John Brennan, Obama Counterterrorism Adviser, they would have taken him alive had the opportunity presented itself, but he resisted.
In my mind I picture the South Park episode where they go hunting and EVERYTHING is charging them, so they have to shoot.

For people wondering if he was buried at sea, ask yourself this, Why would we keep the body? It isnt going to do us any good. Its just a body. And one that had bad kidneys. No reason to keep it really.

And to clarify, I don't think anyone is under the presumption that we'll hear from bin laden again, I think the conspiracy theorists will say maybe he's not dead. Maybe he's hanging from his eye lids in Gitmo being tortured for information regarding future plans, etc. Which in many ways is a pretty appealing thought quite frankly. But I don't think anyone thinks we'll see him or hear from him again. With all the hoopla surrounding this, I think it's safe to say he's gone.

Pop Centurion
05-03-2011, 12:42 PM
There was no stratigic or tactical reason for hitting the towers.
Actually many underdeveloped countries have negative feelings towards the IMF & WTO for its constant undermining & unfair trade practices. So in fact there was reason. It definitely doesn't make it anymore okay, I'm just pointing out that it wasn't just a reasonless target.

barnaby
05-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Count me as both someone who celebrated his death and is proud to be an American even on her worst days. :thumbsup:

Ramblingman
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Random thoughts on this situation –

I have no problem with people celebrating the death of the face of Evil. For years, we have been attacked, innocents have been murdered, military have been slaughtered in their barracks or ships, deaths have been televised, and all of this was heaped funnel-like on bin Laden’s head. Even though he wasn’t responsible for 100% of it, he was the face of it.

Those emotions spilled over with the news that he was finally brought to justice. As was said, Americans would not celebrate the death of innocents, but this mongrel and the word innocent never crossed paths.

I am happy that he is dead. As Patton said, you don’t win wars by dying for your country, you win by making the other <guy> die for his country.

This was the best possible outcome. Capturing him live would lead to Americans being taken hostage across the world in order to force a prisoner exchange. Likely, they would have been killed even after bin Laden had been released. Holding him for trial would give him a platform for preaching his hatred of the US. This was clean and final.

Burying him somewhere would only open the door for another shrine for the radical terrorists to genuflect at while planning more innocent deaths. Burial at sea was the best answer. I only hope that some sailor took the opportunity to slip in a Jimmy Dean sausage link from breakfast before they closed up the sheet around his body.

We did nothing to increase our chances at retaliation by any actions. Those who hate us with a white hot anger don’t care what we do, they will use any excuse to justify their evil. It doesn’t matter if we treat their dead with honor and respect. They will cut off the heads of civilians. They will bomb innocent people. They hate and they will kill for no reason. People need to wake up to the fact that we are at war with an evil enemy who will not stop until they are killed or they achieve world domination.

Last comment – I am proud of the Navy Seals. I am proud of all the military. I am proud of the military families. I honor their sacrifices. I thank them for all they do.

A Big Kid
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM

This train of thought is beyond my comprehension. I posses the moral clarity to understand there is a giant chasm between the two celebrations. The devil incarnate was responsible for the incineration of 3,000 innocent people who did nothing wrong but go to work that day. He would have killed millions more if given the chance. Justice was brought to him and I celebrate because no more innocent lives will be taken by him.

The moral equivalency baffles me.

A Big Kid
05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I would say that this is the reason why a lot of the world have bad opinions of Americans. I scratch my head at the sports "celebrations" AKA looting, and things like this and think to myslef, you know, I'm kindof dumbfounded at Americans too!

Lately it seems I'm more ashamed to be an American than proud. Well, maybe I should say, ashamed of Americans than proud of.

This American is INSULTED by your statement.

A Big Kid
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Before I start, let me put on my asbestos suit for the flames that will surely come my way.

Ok now that im protected, let me start. The celebrations.... There is a huge difference between what went on across our country and the demonstrations that happened in the Middle east on 9/11. Firstly, 9/11 was not a military strike. There was no stratigic or tactical reason for hitting the towers. Granted the Pentagon was a viable target. The goal of the attack was to sow fear and confusion and prove that the US can not protect its women and children. The attack on Bin Laden was a surgical strike with little to no colateral damage. So when the people in the middle east were dancing in the street, they were happy that innocents were killed. Here in the states, people reacted to the news that the Boggy Man was dead. He had been hyped up to be second cousin to the devil. It is no wonder that people celebrated. There is little difference between that reaction and the family of a murder victem wanting to see the killer be given the death penalty. I do not feel that the american people would ever celebrate the death of innocents.

Next, in regards to Al Qaeda. The killing of Osama bin Laden will likely deal a big psychological blow to al Qaeda but may have little practical impact on an increasingly decentralized group that has operated tactically without him for years. It is also possible that he will be named a martyr and AQ forces will fight more fiercely in his name. Egyptian-born doctor and surgeon Ayman al-Zawahri is al-Qaeda's second-in-command expected to succeed Osama Bin Laden. Zawahri has been the brains behind Bin Laden and his al Qaeda network, and at times its most public face, repeatedly denouncing the United States and its allies in video messages. There are reports that al-Zawahri is not well liked by other leaders within the organization, therefore it is unknown how successful al-Zawahri will be as the head of al Qaeda. Also it should be remembered that every member of al Qaeda had to swear personal allegence to Bin Laen. So we will have to wait and see how effective al Qaeda will be.

Those of you who have said it wont be an end to terrorism are 100% correct. There are way to many terrorist organizations still out there in the world, from the Taliban to the IRA. There will always be groups of people who will use terror to convince others to do things their way. Will there be retaliation attacks? Maybe. It is also possible that attacks that were already being planned will now be called a retaliation attack. There could also be attacks ready to go that were to be triggered upon his death. The man might have been pure evil but he wasnt an idiot.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Your milage may vary.

:thumbsup:l

BrerGnat
05-03-2011, 02:55 PM
It's not that I don't think that this event is a WONDERFUL thing for the world. Internally, we should all be celebrating. :number1:

My concern lies with the way our celebrations will be interpreted when seen on television by those very people who wish to do us harm.

We need to be mindful of how our actions are viewed by the international community. Some self censorship is in order when it comes to this sort of thing, that's all.

White Rose
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
My concern lies with the way our celebrations will be interpreted when seen on television by those very people who wish to do us harm.

We need to be mindful of how our actions are viewed by the international community. Some self censorship is in order when it comes to this sort of thing, that's all.

Really well said. :) Thanks for this.

And thank you to your husband for his service. :)

Scar
05-03-2011, 03:24 PM
In case anyone cares, here’s my take. When I woke up Monday morning and turned on the TV (yes that’s right, I didn’t watch the Mets game Sunday night ;) ,) my first thought was a melancholy sense of relief. I’m glad we got him, but I could never celebrate death, no matter who it is. I did think it was odd that people were celebrating, but not surprised. However, I would never tell someone that they are “wrong” for celebrating. You do what you think is right, and I’ll do what I think is right. I’ll bet most of the people celebrating Sunday night just had a few too many, and the rest just got caught up in it all.

But one thing I’m certain of. Not one terrorist was thinking, “Ya know, I was thinking of retiring from terrorism but now that I see Americans celebrating, I think I’ll keep doing it.”

MNNHFLTX
05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Please, some of the posts are starting to veer from people expressing their own personal viewpoint on this matter, into a critique of someone else's feelings. Everyone should be allowed to approach such a deep and meaningful event like this in their own way. I think this thread serves a purpose in allowing people to vent their feelings; let's not let it turn into a debate.

NJGIRL
05-03-2011, 05:22 PM
We lost one young man from my town in the Twin Tower attack. He was my cousins neighbor and good friend. He was working for Cantor Fitzgerald. They interviewed his father (one of my husbands co workers) in todays paper. So very sad, he mentions how they don't even have a grave to visit. It's really heart breaking.

Another local man was also interviewed. He was on his way to a meeting in one of the towers. He said he walked out of his hotel and saw the first tower on fire. Then he saw people jumping out of windows. He said he saw an man and women join hands and jump together. That is something that has haunted him for the last 10 years.

magicofdisney
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
We lost one young man from my town in the Twin Tower attack. He was my cousins neighbor and good friend. He was working for Cantor Fitzgerald. They interviewed his father (one of my husbands co workers) in todays paper. So very sad, he mentions how they don't even have a grave to visit. It's really heart breaking.

Because of this, I think it's fitting that bin Laden doesn't have a grave to visit either.

Ramblingman
05-04-2011, 08:08 AM
It's not that I don't think that this event is a WONDERFUL thing for the world. Internally, we should all be celebrating. :number1:

We have watched for years as people have openly celebrated the slaughter of innocent Americans. We have watched as they have televised Americans being beheaded. We have watched as they have "warned" us that we better mind our P's and Q's or else they'll get offended.

Watching our steps because some group of loonies might become more unbalanced is not good enough to me to say we should not celebrate the death of a murdererous zealot. These goobers are going to hate us and they will come up with a reason to want to kill us no matter what. They will call jihad if it's a cloudy day or if someone gets chocolate in their peanut butter. They call for the death of cartoonists, for goodness sake.

Our self-censorship has been in action for twenty years if not more. It has not stopped one single terrorist from taking action.

NJGIRL
05-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Our self-censorship has been in action for twenty years if not more. It has not stopped one single terrorist from taking action.

This is so true. They will continue to try to attack us no matter what.

Even the men & women at West Point & Annapolis were celebrating.

Celebrating an evil man dying, to me at least, is much different than when they have celebrated innocent people dying.

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Seeing a lot of posts on Facebook and such by people asying they wont believe he is dead if they cant see a picture of him. I wonder if these same people had a friend get killed in a horrible accident would demand an open casket or would deny that their friend didnt die because they never saw the body.

NJGIRL
05-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I really don't want to see a picture of a dead man and I don't think I will let my son see it when it's released.

I have enough trust in our government to know he is dead.

wdw dude
05-04-2011, 02:20 PM
We have watched for years as people have openly celebrated the slaughter of innocent Americans. We have watched as they have televised Americans being beheaded. We have watched as they have "warned" us that we better mind our P's and Q's or else they'll get offended.

Watching our steps because some group of loonies might become more unbalanced is not good enough to me to say we should not celebrate the death of a murdererous zealot. These goobers are going to hate us and they will come up with a reason to want to kill us no matter what. They will call jihad if it's a cloudy day or if someone gets chocolate in their peanut butter. They call for the death of cartoonists, for goodness sake.

Very well said. I agree 100% :thumbsup:

:mickey:

luvdiznee
05-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I really don't want to see a picture of a dead man and I don't think I will let my son see it when it's released.

I agree. IMO there is enough ugly violent pictures on TV. I have faith in our Government that he is dead as well. I understand for those who want to see it for whatever reasons, but the conspiracy theorists are going to believe whatever they want. No matter what.

McLiberal8
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM

I agree. It is time for us to show how strong of a nation we are. This doesn't come in the form of a military, or money, but in maturity and tactfulness. We are no better then 'them' if we parade a bloody picture around. Especially with 24hr news stations, the way they are.

DVC2004
05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I don't need to see the picture and quite honestly, it's just going to stir up trouble from his followers. Glad he was caught and I have no reason to think otherwise. Why in the heck would now, of all times, the Government come out and say we caught him if we didn't.

I know he is gone, because if not he would have released one of his videos by now saying I'm still here, etc.

God Bless America!

Carol
05-05-2011, 07:21 AM
MODERATOR ALERT --

Folks -

Please do not turn this into a political debate or a thread full of opinions on the government. Many replies have been edited and/or deleted. There are plenty of messages boards out there for that type of discussion, INTERCOT is not one of them.

If this subject sways off topic again our staff will simply close it.

Thank you.

Dulcee
05-05-2011, 07:58 AM
I just stumbled across this thread.

After going into work on Monday and mentioning that I have a hard time seeing the celebratory reaction people across the country had, I got attacked for being unpatriotic.

It's nice to see that I'm not alone in that while I may have felt relief, I can't find it in me to celebrate death.

Ramblingman
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
While I understand the feelings of those with opposing views from mine, I don't feel the need to denigrate their views while offering my views. It's refreshing to see that is the prevailing attitude here. There are so many sites where people will get at each other's throats, so having a place where people can be mature during a discussion is refreshing.

Thanks also to the Mods who have been keeping the thread from getting too bogged down.

Okay, on to more important things. I am going to post in another thread about our impending trip to WDW later this month. Woohoo!

brivers222
05-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Well Said... :thumbsup: