PDA

View Full Version : Big-Name Stars in Attractions: Enhancement? or Distraction?

MrPeetrie
05-01-2011, 05:57 PM
As I was listening to the audio of the ride Mission: Space the other day, I paid attention to Gary Sinise's role. Then I started to think: do recognizable stars actually become a distraction in a ride? I'll explain.

When you ride a Disney ride or attraction, you are "immersed" into the story the Imagineers have set forward. You are inside a Dino Institute. Or you are about the scale the real Mt. Everest. So when you enter the Mission: Space attraction, you are about to embark on a mission to Mars. However, as soon as I heard Gary Sinise (one of my favorite actors, by the way) say "I'll be your Capcom today," the illusion was ruined. I know Gary Sinise is NOT a NASA Capcom. The same with the Dinosaur ride. I know that Phylicia Rashad is NOT Dr. Marsh. The illusion is ruined. I am evicted from the Dino Institute and returned to reality.

On the other hand, Ellen DeGeneres plays herself in Ellen's Energy Adventure, so I think she's an enhancement for that attraction. The same with Rick Moranis and Eric Idle in Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. In that attraction, they play established film characters, so the illusion is maintained.

So, in general, I think big-name stars can be a nice addition to a ride. But when I'm looking for total immersion, I think they pull us out of the illusion. What do you think?

HoosierDisneyFan
05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I love Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld) in Soarin. He is perfect as the in the pre-show role.

I think it adds something to the attraction personally.

JPL
05-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't think it really distracts me from the story of the attraction at all. It's no different then the same starts playing roles in different movies. If it's well done it's fine with me. Gary Sinise fits into the role at Mission Space very well since he was involved in the film Mission to Mars.

johnO
05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I guess it depends

Hazmat
05-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Not including Ellen, I prefer an unknown cast in all attractions. Does help keep the illusion.

EvilQueen2006
05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
The guy that plays Seeker in Dinosaur fits in well. He plays a scientist/lab guy on CSI, so its easy to see him as a dino institute guy. I agree that Gary Sinise is ok as the Mission Space charecter, and Ellen is hilarious!!! I can't really think of any that detract from the experience. Phylicia Rishad, maybe.

SBETigg
05-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Funny, because Ellen's presence is the one I find distracting and the rest don't bother me at all. I remember the pre-Ellen Universe of Energy, and I enjoyed that version so much more. I like Ellen, just not as part of the ride. The others are in intros that keep you patient while you wait to ride and provide some amusement and set-up while you wait. I always think it's very cool that recognized actors take on those roles.

EJS-Houston
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not really distracted by any of them, but consider them all to be enhancements to the ride experience.

Narawen
05-02-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't think it really distracts me from the story of the attraction at all. It's no different then the same starts playing roles in different movies.

This. I can suspend my disbelief in the theater to watch Johnny Depp be a pirate, I can suspend my disbelief at Disney to take instructions from various stars within the theme of the ride.

CU Tiger
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
As long as the actor does a good job at acting the part and it fits that character, it is not a distraction. I cannot think of one example of a distraction for me.:mickey:

PopeCharming
05-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Hmmm....

For the unavoidable parts of the show (e.g. safety instructions) using Gary Sinise or Patrick Warburton is, as others have pointed out, sheer genius. Similarly, ~narration~ works well-- witness Irons or Cronkite in Spaceship Earth.

Otherwise, I do think obscure actors might be better choices. Disney goes so far to create the illusion that we are in a fantasy world, that reality is being suspended-- why compromise that with familiar faces? So, on these grounds, I have reservations with the Robin Williams, Rick Moranis, Drew Carey....each of these attractions tended to use celebrities to prop up what would have otherwise been a weak attraction. (Sounds Dangerous was tortuous as it was...but could you imagine it without Carey to provide comic relief? yikes...)

MrPeetrie
05-03-2011, 08:19 PM
So, on these grounds, I have reservations with the Robin Williams, Rick Moranis, Drew Carey....each of these attractions tended to use celebrities to prop up what would have otherwise been a weak attraction. (Sounds Dangerous was tortuous as it was...but could you imagine it without Carey to provide comic relief? yikes...)

I only attend this attraction because I like Drew Carey.

ransam
05-04-2011, 12:38 AM
i have to say that it really doesn't bother me at all...

darthmacho
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
For the most part, it doesn't bother me, but I agree about Ellen. Sure, I think she's funny, but that attraction seems to have become all about Ellen, and I feel she distracts from the original point.

Zawadi
05-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not a fan of Ellen.

Gary Sinise did play the part of Ken Mattingly in Apollo 13 so his appearance as CapCom is of no surprise.

Personally I hate the addition of Capt Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp) in PotC.