PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the magic alive?

PETE FROM NYC
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
From the early 80s thru 1999, DW and I travelled to WDW every other year. That way it was not only more affordable, but I think it also enhanced our enjoyment. Sometimes we went just the two of us, other times with family or friends.
On our trip in 2009, we finally joined DVC. So we would not lose our points, we went back in 2010. Now, while we did have a ball that trip, I think that some of the magic wore off because we were just there a year earlier.
I know, from being on these boards for a few years, that many of you go to WDW much more often than we do. How do you keep the magic from going stale?

Scott C
04-30-2011, 04:13 PM
We just keep finding more and different things to do -- we have also slowed the pace of our trips somewhat - taking time to see different shows and such. We don't rush from E ticket to E ticket anymore -- we just go there to relax.

Thanks
Scott C

buzznwoodysmom
04-30-2011, 04:40 PM
We change it up by staying at different resorts. Its amazing how different each trip can be depending on which resort we stay at. We also always have at least one new place to dine. We try to always find something we haven't yet done and set aside time to do it. Over time we've spent more and more time at our resort and that makes it a different vacation too. We also travel at all different times of the year. When we go in the summer we do water parks, and spend tons of time at the pool, around the holidays we have all those special holiday events to make the trip different. We've also started venturing out to Universal on our last two trips. We have big Harry Potter fans, which is what drew us there in the first place, but its turned out to be a great addition to our WDW vacations. Sometimes I start to think maybe we've been too often and we should take a break, but the desire to go back brings us back again and again.

crltkcagle
04-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Well Disney is constantly changing things so that helps. We also try different things. For example on our last trip we did the hidden mickey scavenger hunt. That was a lot of fun! We also try new places to eat every time we go. Usually we try to eat at the different resorts that way we can see all of them. We will also take the boats to the park instead of the monorail. We just change things around so that our kids don't get bored.

Disney-4-Me
04-30-2011, 10:19 PM
We have never been bored. We always find something new. Reading posts here for a few months before our trip, especially in Trip Reports, gives us new ideas for things to do and see. And of ourselves there are always more Hidden Mickeys to find!:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
04-30-2011, 10:48 PM
You might try aiming your trips to coincide with special events at WDW.

The Magic Kingdom hosts a fabulous Halloween Party in the Fall.

The Magic Kingdom hosts a Christmas Party, and Hollywood Studios hosts a magical Christmas Lighting Spectacular.
EPCOT hosts a special Candlelight Processional Concert, as well.

EPCOT hosts the Food & Wine Festival in the Fall.

EPCOT also hosts the Flower & Garden Show in the Spring.

There are also special Dining Events available to Annual Passholders who are part of Tables in Wonderland.

There are also Dessert Parties which accompany a fireworks viewing.

Having special meals at a variety of restaurants can make each trip special.

Each trip could have a theme...
...one trip could be simple fun: Mickey's Backyard BBQ, staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas, Whispering Canyon, Hoop De Doo Revue, more time exploring Main Street USA, Adventureland, and Frontierland (There are so many details one fails to notice in the race to the next E-ticket ride.)

...one trip could be fancy: Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian, Narcoosee's, Albert and Victoria's, California Grill, staying at Bay Lake Tower (if you can get reservations) take advantage of character meetings at 1900 Park Fare or in Great Britain in EPCOT (Mary Poppins, Alice, and the Mad Hatter), drinks and dancing in the lobby at the Grand Floridian where a pianist alternates sets with an instrumental ensemble which is unmatched on property.

...one trip could be cheap thrills: Drinking Around the World in EPCOT, corn dogs and egg rolls in Magic Kingdom, Cosmic Ray's, loud tipsy sing-a-longs at Jellyrolls on the Boardwalk, (subtly) getting lovey in one of the cars in the Sci-Fi Dine Inn...Funnel Cakes everywhere!

Consider.

kemps@wdw
05-01-2011, 12:30 AM
the magic is not only in the place, it's in the soul. It's hard to explain to a muggle (non-magical folk), but not necessary to explain to those of us who simply "feel" it. So, the magic is always there, regardless of where you are or how often you go. And we never miss an opportunity to "get our Disney on", whether at work, home, or out and about. We find the Disney magic in everything and everywhere. :thumbsup:

ransam
05-01-2011, 02:27 AM
LIke mentioned Disney changes a lot...but for me, what keeps the magic alive is the things that stay the same.
i work a normal office job. i do charity work, i spend time w/ family and friends.....
but once a year or so i go to disney, and it's like such a comfortable feeling. sometimes even though it was a year or so, it seemed only yesterday that i was walking down mainstreet.
There are changes, but the fact that so much is the same. The castle is there, the customer service doesn't change, the smiles on people's faces don't change...

Zawadi
05-01-2011, 07:54 AM
As others have said, we repeat our favourite rides/attractions but also now relax and enjoy WDW's atmosphere. We no longer return to work for a rest :D

We now take time to look at the finer details that the Imagineers put in. Things that as you rush around you may see and certainly don't appreciate - hidden mickeys, the signage in the windows on Main St. or Streets of America.

We also take time to people watch - looking for the first timers on rides, especially ToT. However, we normally lookout for the wonder and amazement on faces of people of all ages.

In Sept 2010, we were in the boarding gate area for Soarin' and there was a mother and daughter (aged 80s and 50s respectively). The mother was quite short, a little bit worried about Soarin' being senior friendly. However, on the ride she didn't make the height mark so used the safety loop. After the ride both had such big smiles they went straight back in to the line. Moments like this keep the magic alive for us!

:mickey:

LovinWDW
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
We've gone to WDW 2-3 time a year since 2004 and the magic has yet to be lost. I do have 2 DD, now 4 and 8 so they really help keep it alive. We always stay at different resorts and during our summer trip we change resorts halfway through the trip. This keeps it fresh. We also try new places to eat dinner, this trip coming up we are dining at 3 different palces. Sooner or later we'll run out of new places but we'll always have our favorites. We also have one day with no plans (our Mystery Day) this usually works better earlier in the vacation. Do this, Get up early to be at the parks for when they open. Go to the bus stop and the first theme park bus to pull up, get on. Thats where your heading for the day. The kids really like this. Other musts for us. Fireworks cruise, Fireworks Dessert Party, DTD, Sea World. 10 more weeks!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

goofygirl67
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
I go alot since I live in Florida. I try to go when something is going on. I also break up my week by taking a day off from the parks. Lately I have been taking it easy and have noticed more of the fine tuning Disney did in creating the parks.

dmallan
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
In the past few years we have had the good fortune to be able to go to WDW more often, and we keep it fresh by trying new things, but we also make sure to get in all our old favorites.
In the last few years we've tried Characters in Flight, Keys to the Kingdom and Behind the Seeds Tour. All very enjoyable!
We also love to stop and watch the various streetmosphere characters.

AXOAlum
05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
the magic is not only in the place, it's in the soul. It's hard to explain to a muggle (non-magical folk), but not necessary to explain to those of us who simply "feel" it. So, the magic is always there, regardless of where you are or how often you go. And we never miss an opportunity to "get our Disney on", whether at work, home, or out and about. We find the Disney magic in everything and everywhere. :thumbsup:

:ditto:
This trip will be DS (8) 12th trip & DD (3) 4th. Other than one ADR at Akershus (for obvious reasons lol) we have 8 day park hopper tickets and NO set plans what so ever. This is our first time giving the kids the reins on the trip. DS has already said we are doing EPCOT first then DAK then MK.... On the FIRST day! We will go with the flow and the magic will surround us! I am an event planner so not having an organized itinerary is not my style... This should be fun to watch if nothing else! :mickey:

johnO
05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Pete,

we like to change things up, we no longer park hop, we take our time in the parks in order to elxplore the finer details of the parks, rides, restaurants etc..

We like to spend time touring the resorts. We also like to try new places to eat at every trip.

TheVBs
05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
We go every other year. For us, I think those in-between locations really help keep the magic alive. We also make sure to mix up old favorites with new experiences, so our WDW trips are different every time.