PDA

View Full Version : Swan/Dolphin and the DDP

disneynarula
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Can you get the DDP option at the Swan or Dolphin. MY DH gets the goverment discount and we want to stay there but only if we can get the DDP.

Do you get to use the xtra magic hours too?

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
I believe you do get the EMH but not the DDP. If I am wrong I know someone will be along to correct me.

Dream'nDisney
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
I am not sure about the Swan, but I do know you get the EMH at the Dolphin.

I believe I read on another post that both hotels DO NOT participate in the DDP however. I am sure someone will be along soon to confirm that.

Polynesian Dweller
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
No, you cannot get the DDP at the Swan and Dolphin. It is a perk for staying at Disney owned hotels and S&D are not Disney owned.

BrerGnat
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Look at the cost of the accommodations though. The DDP is not really a good "deal" usually. If you can save significant money on the hotel room, you will have more to budget for out of pocket dining.

One thing you will have to be aware of is that if you have your own car, S&D charge a daily parking fee. The also charge a $10/day "resort fee", but that includes some bottled water, and internet access.

Also, you'd need to secure transportation from the airport to the hotel, if you're flying. S&D do not participate in the DME service.

Figment!
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
Swan & Dolphin do participate in the Extra Magic Hours program, but they are not eligible for the Disney Dining Plan.

We've saved far more on our last three trips by staying at the Swan & Dolphin on the Teacher/Nurse/Gov. rate than if we had used the Disney Dining Plan.

If savings isn't your main goal, then you may want to make another accommodation choice.

DizneyRox
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
We've saved far more on our last three trips by staying at the Swan & Dolphin on the Teacher/Nurse/Gov. rate than if we had used the Disney Dining Plan.
No surprising.. I've found that the cost of using the DDP exceeds the cost of just paying OOP for meals for us. ANY discount over Disney accomodations would be gravy.

Polynesian Dweller
04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
No surprising.. I've found that the cost of using the DDP exceeds the cost of just paying OOP for meals for us. ANY discount over Disney accomodations would be gravy.

Same for us and don't use the plan. Should have put "perk" in quotes in my original post.

disneynarula
04-30-2011, 02:34 AM
The only reason I opt for the DDP is because my DH tends to be a penny pincher and I know if I don't get the DDP I will end up packing sandwiches and eating at the cheapest CS places all week. I guess the Swan and Dolphin are out for us.

LVT
04-30-2011, 02:01 PM
As mentioned before. A travel agent could be of help to you. They can run the numbers correctly and efficiently for several scenarios.
Your husband would then know the real choices.
For us the DDP amounted to about the same $$. Some would like to thus pre-pay. I like to just pay out of pocket.

HoosierDisneyFan
04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
The only reason I opt for the DDP is because my DH tends to be a penny pincher and I know if I don't get the DDP I will end up packing sandwiches and eating at the cheapest CS places all week. I guess the Swan and Dolphin are out for us.

I totally understand this. With DDP there is no worry about the cost of dining because it is aleady paid for! We would likely not eat at the many TS resturants if it were not for DDP.

DizneyRox
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
The only reason I opt for the DDP is because my DH tends to be a penny pincher and I know if I don't get the DDP I will end up packing sandwiches and eating at the cheapest CS places all week. I guess the Swan and Dolphin are out for us.I totally understand this. With DDP there is no worry about the cost of dining because it is aleady paid for! We would likely not eat at the many TS resturants if it were not for DDP.

Understand that for many (most I would assume) there ARE additional OOP costs when you're not on the dining plan.

a. Tips are based on the price of what you order, NOT on the value of the dining credit.
b. Extras that aren't covered under the plan. Maybe some alcoholic beverages, etc
c. The meal that isn't covered under the plan (1QS, 1TS = 2 meals, many eat three even if one is lighter fare, it's usually more than a snack credit).

The key to figuring out if it's a good value is to actually compare the cost of the DDP along with all the extras against what you would normally order and eat. For example, we're not dessert eaters and mostly prefer water to drink, so we can "save" off about $8 per person per TS meal. This means it's much harder to break even on a TS meal since the OOP cost of a dinner entre (at a 1TS location) is 99% of the time, possibly 100%, less than the value of a TS credit. We also use more than 1 snack credit a day (we'll go through 3 or 4 bottle of water per day) so that's all OOP for us.

It's a no-brainer for us. If you're spending more for the dining plan than you would normally, then it's really not a value is it?