PDA

View Full Version : Spoiled by WDW?

darthmacho
04-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Here I am, planning this summer's excursion to Bar Harbor, a trip I've been dreaming of taking since we started taking family vacations to our favorite New England destinations since 2006, and something is...missing. We're planning on touring Acadia, observing whales and puffins, visiting a bonanza of lighthouses, and shopping in quaint gifts shops for a week, all stuff I've been looking forward to, until...well, our 2010 WDW celebration.
That's right, after last year's WDW trip, Bar Harbor feels like a letdown.
Anyway, I'm writing here because I know you guys will understand. I just need a little encouragement and to know that I'm not crazy...right?
In any case, I'm giving serious thought about WDW trips in both 2012 and 2013, but there's no guarantee, so I need some consolation until then.
What do you think?
Help? :mickey:

princessgirls
04-28-2011, 10:04 AM
You are not crazy Darth!! Perfectly normal feelings!!! We always come back to all that Disney has to offer for our family and when you are planning other vacations, you do seem to come back to that.

We did Maine a few times (friend has a townhouse she never uses in Wells) and it's nice, and we have a great time, and it is always good to see and experience different things. I come back to these two points ALWAYS:

1. On these other vacations, I am "on". Preparing meals, cleaning up, food shopping, laundry, etc.
2. The cost is NO CHEAPER than a Disney vacation...Not a deluxe Disney vacation, mind you, but a modest one can be done on what I'm spending feeding and entertaining my crew.

We do go other places, and enjoy them, don't get me wrong...for my family Disney is an easy week away!!
I HEAR YOU DARTH!!!
Julie:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I understand. We only take a vacation every three years so I am ready for Disney by then. My mom always says, don't you want to try something different. Well, no. Not my son either. We are perfectly happy with Disneyworld.

However, if you are going in 2012 or 2013 I say enjoy doing something different this year and it will make your upcoming trip even sweeter.

buzznwoodysmom
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Yes, we too are spoiled by Disney. We try to take one non Disney trip for every WDW trip, and have done a pretty good job at sticking to that plan, only skipping the non Disney trip inbetween a few times. We've enjoyed some great other places, and always have a wonderful time on vacation where ever we go. However, none of these other vacations have compared to how we feel about our Disney vacations. Nothing else is as enjoyable and satisfying as our Disney trips.

And my kids are spoiled too. When we vacation other places they'll sometimes ask "Where is the pool slide?", "why isn't there a gift shop?", "doesn't this hotel have a place to eat?". They are spoiled by the Disney resorts and often times have a hard time understanding why other hotels don't match up. As they get older they understand more, but when they were younger they'd say they didn't like our hotels at other locations.

We are going to San Antonio this summer, a place we've been wanting to travel to for several years now. We'll even take a small side trip to the beach in Galveston on our way home from San Antonio. We are thrilled about seeing a new place, but I do find myself comparing what we'll spend to what I could get in WDW for the same price. But I have to just push those thoughts out of my head, because I do want my kids to experience as much of our country as they can, not just WDW!

DizneyRox
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to our cruise this summer, haven't given much thought at all to not going to WDW. And this from someone who got married down there and spent the past 9 years celebrating anniversaries, etc.. .

We'll probably even do a few other trips this summer to more local places, aquariums, yada, yada, yada.

The atmoshpere down there has really soured me in recent years. Until there's some changes, I'm going to be looking at my vacation funds and finding good value. There are TONS of places around the US and the world that still need to be seen.

I wouldn't fret!

Figment104
04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
MY DH and I can completely relate as well. Last year instead of going to Disney we were doing a 2 weet trip to England and Scotland, something we'd been wanting to do for a really long time. We had an amazing time on that trip but right before we left I got a great pin code and after much discussion decided to book a long weekend to Disney for the fall. We figured we could always cancel if we needed to. On the flight back from England DH leaned over and said, "you have no idea how happy I am that we have our trip to Disney to look forward to so that we can relax on vacation". As amazing as seeing the UK was we were on the go constantly so that we could see all the things we wanted to see. When Sept came around we just put up our feet at Disney and enjoyed ourselves!

I'm going a bit nutty myself now since we don't have another trip planned until June of 2013, but that because I'm expecting in Nov :cloud9: which we're really excited about and we decided that 18 months would be a good age for the baby's first trip. How I'll ever make it, I have no idea lol.

I'm sure you'll have a great time on your trip though!

EeyoresBestFriend
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
We can relate too.

We just came back from a week in New Orleans(I finally got to see the REAL French Quarter!!) :D
It was very cool, but I missed alot of the little conveniences of WDW. We had NO idea where to eat - alittle exciting, but frustrating if the place was expensive and not too good. I REALLY missed the cleanliness of WDW. :D I found the same thing when we went to Vegas a few years back too.

Great experiences, but I found it as expensive, if not more, than WDW. Each have their advantages, but I can't honestly say that I would bypass Disney for a "cheaper" holiday because, for us, that hasn't the case.

wdwluv
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
MY DH and I can completely relate as well. Last year instead of going to Disney we were doing a 2 weet trip to England and Scotland, something we'd been wanting to do for a really long time. We had an amazing time on that trip but right before we left I got a great pin code and after much discussion decided to book a long weekend to Disney for the fall. We figured we could always cancel if we needed to. On the flight back from England DH leaned over and said, "you have no idea how happy I am that we have our trip to Disney to look forward to so that we can relax on vacation". As amazing as seeing the UK was we were on the go constantly so that we could see all the things we wanted to see. When Sept came around we just put up our feet at Disney and enjoyed ourselves!

I am trying to figure out a year that I would be willing to skip WDW to do the exact same trip! Scotland/England!!(been going a bit genealogy crazy this past year) But I cant imagine parting with a Disney trip!!!

And to OP, I can totally understand! But Maine is BEAUTIFUL. We were lucky enough to go to my cousins wedding in Camden. It was unbelievable, I felt like I was on a movie set it was so perfect.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Bar Harbor is awesome. Make sure you eat at Jordan's Pond, and send me a popover or two!

dnickels
04-28-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't think it's about being 'spoiled' by WDW, I think it's more that we're all very familiar with and frequent visitors to WDW so it's easy to plan for most of us. Heck, we're on a message board about Disney.

If you went to a Yellowstone or Vegas message board I'm sure you could find posts there with people talking about how visiting those places is easy and they feel 'spoiled' but a vacation to WDW is frustrating to plan / less exciting to think about, etc.

It's just a different strokes for different folks sort of thing.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-28-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't think it's about being 'spoiled' by WDW, I think it's more that we're all very familiar with and frequent visitors to WDW so it's easy to plan for most of us. Heck, we're on a message board about Disney.

If you went to a Yellowstone or Vegas message board I'm sure you could find posts there with people talking about how visiting those places is easy and they feel 'spoiled' but a vacation to WDW is frustrating to plan / less exciting to think about, etc.

It's just a different strokes for different folks sort of thing.

VERY TRUE!!!! :D

I am currently in the throws of planning a GG. The rest of my group have panic attacks just watching the vacation planning DVD and are horrified by the prospect of any of the planning or visiting the parks by themselves!! :silly:

darthmacho
05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. I really am looking forward to this year's vacation, but don't think for a second that in the back of my mind, I'm not also planning our next WDW trip. ;)

Dixie Springs
05-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I can relate. Ever since our first trip to WDW in 1982, we have compared other destinations & most fell short in key areas like guest care, cleanliness, and of course that intangible Disney Vibe. I remember my in-laws returning from a Hawaii trip and saying, "well, it ain't Disney World."

SBETigg
05-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Once you get there, you will enjoy every minute. But of course, Disney is always in the back of my mind, always planning that next trip. It's happy and familiar and always a good time. But we also love our vacations to other places, too. Know that you will be back to WDW eventually and enjoy what you have going on for now-- as I am sure you will.

lynnek
05-22-2011, 01:58 PM
. On these other vacations, I am "on". Preparing meals, cleaning up, food shopping, laundry, etc.
2. The cost is NO CHEAPER than a Disney vacation...Not a deluxe Disney vacation, mind you, but a modest one can be done on what I'm spending feeding and entertaining my crew.My thoughts exactly.....

We chose to schedule our second trip as we were finishing our first because it really works for Mom as well! I have the opportunity to travel a bit for business and make a point of bringing the kids with me, if at all possible, adding a day or two to fill with activities. We've chosen to stick with WDW right now because it does feel like you're being spoiled:)

DVC2004
05-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I think alot of us feel that way. We definitely take other non-Disney trips, but it's hard to not think/compare things to Disney while we are there. However, we're glad to experience other places now and then (Hawaii, Yellowstone, DC, Atlantis) but "there's no place like home" to us!

EpcotFan182
05-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I know how you feel - I find myself comparing everything to Disney! However, once I get to my destination I usually don't feel that way - it's just that initial thought of "but at Disney they do it like this!" :mickey:

EllieMae
05-22-2011, 08:53 PM
We are going to San Antonio this summer, a place we've been wanting to travel to for several years now. We'll even take a small side trip to the beach in Galveston on our way home from San Antonio. We are thrilled about seeing a new place, but I do find myself comparing what we'll spend to what I could get in WDW for the same price. But I have to just push those thoughts out of my head, because I do want my kids to experience as much of our country as they can, not just WDW!

I'm not sure where you are staying in San Anotnio but DH and I were just there last weekend. As we ate breakfast at the Menger Hotel's ballroom (sorry can't think of the name right now) we commented on how the Crystal Palace looks so similar and is a great replica of an original like the Menger. I hope that you have a great time in SA :)

Disney-4-Me
05-22-2011, 09:28 PM
I love to trave, but there is no where else in the world where you can experience the magic of Disney and be treated so well (like a queen) by all of the staff!

During 30+ trips I've only experienced 2 grumpy castmembers. Where else do you fine that kind of treatment?:mickey:

TheVBs
05-23-2011, 04:18 PM
I understand too. We do WDW every other year with different trips in between. I always experience a little bit of anxiety on those. But, like others have said, you will enjoy yourself when you get there and will be grateful for a different experience. Bar Harbor is beautiful and Acadia is breathtaking! And, you know you'll be going to Disney on your next trip. :mickey: