PDA

View Full Version : New Attraction Coming to Universal - Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem

Melanie
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Universal Orlando has announced that Jimmy Neutron will close permanently on August 18, 2011 to make way for a new attraction that is "an all-new experience based on an amazing concept."

If you follow @UORnews on Twitter, they are dropping hints here and there on what the new attraction could be. Most folks are speculating it's either Despicable Me or King Kong. Not sure why they'd revisit King Kong. ?? I bet it's DM.

Joannelet
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
DM is a cute movie and has a large fan base...so I think it is going to be that one too.

NJGIRL
04-27-2011, 06:16 PM
I would think it would be DM also. I do have to say I was in shock back when they closed down King Kong. I think alot of people were surprised. I thought it was a very unique ride and it was very popular. The lines were always long. I do love the Mummy but I wish that they left King Kong and put the Mummy in another building.

Melanie
04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
Not knowing my UOR history, I didn't realize Mummy is where King Kong used to be. Wow I really loved Mummy when we rode it last month. Can't wait to ride it again!

NJGIRL
04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Not knowing my UOR history, I didn't realize Mummy is where King Kong used to be. Wow I really loved Mummy when we rode it last month. Can't wait to ride it again!

I know the Mummy is one of my favorite attractions. When I am on that ride (especially at the very begining) I feel like I am in the movie.

WDWfanatic742
04-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Everything I've read before said that it was going to be DM. I never saw the movie, so I have NO idea what kind of story the ride/show it could be. I remember going to HHN a few years back and for one of the houses you went through a stage in the backlot near Jimmy and there wasn't that much room, so I don't think they would build a ride but who knows...

I'd think that the King Kong rumor is because the 360 show on the tour in Hollywood seems to be doing pretty good. They would have to make it alot longer to turn it into it's own attraction though.

PrettyMinnie
04-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I really enjoy Despicable Me and I am interested to see what Universal comes up. Interesting...:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
04-29-2011, 08:50 AM
I really enjoy Despicable Me and I am interested to see what Universal comes up. Interesting...:thumbsup:

IMO their attractions for the past many years have been homeruns. When they change an attraction from one thing to another it has been to put a quality state of the art replacement in. I don't think I will be disappointed. At least I hope not.:D

JN was a fun ride. It was like Star Tours except instead of seats you were in a vehicle that moved alot more.

Rockstar Boyfriends
05-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I am hoping the new ride will be...

"Law and Order: The Ride"

;)

Melanie
05-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Just realized I'll actually be in the park that day....

NJGIRL
05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Great! Then you can review the attraction for us!

Last trip my nephew didn't want to go on JN because he thought it was going to be too babyish. We went on anyway because I like the ride and he had fun.

GothMickey
05-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Isn't today Universal's big hoopla about Despicable Me becoming the replacement for Jimmy Neutron?

Opps, nevermind, already announced. Despicable Me will be replacing Jimmy Neutron (Universal's worst kept secret). Oh, the attraction will feature a minion dance party. Also, Spiderman will see an upgrade on the video projection.

WDWfanatic742
05-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Isn't today Universal's big hoopla about Despicable Me becoming the replacement for Jimmy Neutron?

Opps, nevermind, already announced. Despicable Me will be replacing Jimmy Neutron (Universal's worst kept secret). Oh, the attraction will feature a minion dance party. Also, Spiderman will see an upgrade on the video projection.

To the DM info...:sick:

And why upgrade something that they are going to be forced to change/close in a few years? The Marvel deal ends like around 2015 right?

EDIT: Nevermind, just reading up on it and it apparently doesn't force them to remove the characters at a certain point. I still don't get why they wouldn't re-theme it anytime soon. The ride technology makes that ride one of the best in the world more than the theme and story does...

GoBlueLacheta
05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
With those two being the only two additions in 2012 for Universal Parks, it could give Fantasyland revamp a chance to catch up with the hype surrounding Harry Potter as the 8th film will be out on DVD around Christmas 2011 and it could just be at TSM level for years to come instead of ridiculous.

DizneyFreak2002
05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
With those two being the only two additions in 2012 for Universal Parks, it could give Fantasyland revamp a chance to catch up with the hype surrounding Harry Potter as the 8th film will be out on DVD around Christmas 2011 and it could just be at TSM level for years to come instead of ridiculous.

Universal got more coming... Just the matter of when, not if... Especially the Harry Potter expansion, which will include a Gringott's roller coaster...

Kathy Jetson
05-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Have they announced when they are going to update Spiderman? We'll be there the first week in June and I hope it won't be closed.

WDWfanatic742
05-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Universal got more coming... Just the matter of when, not if... Especially the Harry Potter expansion, which will include a Gringott's roller coaster...

If they can nail that theme perfectly, it will be so good. I'm actually imagining something kinda like the mummy but with the different theming obviously. That was one of my favorite scenes in the first book, so I can't wait...

Have they announced when they are going to update Spiderman? We'll be there the first week in June and I hope it won't be closed.

I don't think specific dates have been said for either as of yet other than when Jimmy Neutron with close for good. I did find this in the LA Times article about Spiderman:

Testing has already begun on the Electro and Hydro scenes, Coup said, with the ride expected to go down for only a few weeks just before the 2012 relaunch.

I'm as sure as I can be that you don't have anything to worry about this June...

Kathy Jetson
05-22-2011, 12:16 AM
If they can nail that theme perfectly, it will be so good. I'm actually imagining something kinda like the mummy but with the different theming obviously. That was one of my favorite scenes in the first book, so I can't wait...

I don't think specific dates have been said for either as of yet other than when Jimmy Neutron with close for good. I did find this in the LA Times article about Spiderman:

I'm as sure as I can be that you don't have anything to worry about this June...

Thank you for the info. I've never been but I've talked up the Spiderman ride to ds7 so much I'd hate to disappoint him.

DizneyFreak2002
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread since we already had this one.. But here is some updated information about Despicable Me coming to Universal Studios Orlando...

From Theme Park Insider:

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (note the new title) will open in "Summer." Perhaps Universal might narrow that window between now and the 25th, but that's the projected opening at this point. The film's original cast will be voicing the 3D film, including Steve Carell and Miranda Cosgrove, and the audience will be transformed into minions at the end.

I like the name.. Despicable Me: Minion mayhem....

WDWfanatic742
01-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Think the title needs more M's...Maybe sponsored by M&M's?

NJGIRL
01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
The title is catchey, but does anyone know what the attraction is about.

DizneyFreak2002
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
The title is catchey, but does anyone know what the attraction is about.

Nothing is known about it yet... Should get information at the announcement next week....

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Gru's house will be the facade of the sound stage, entering the attraction... The roof is on property, back stage in an empty lot, getting built.. When finished, the roof will be as tall as the sound stage...

NJGIRL
02-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I have not seen the movie so I have no knowledge of the characters. :blush: