PDA

View Full Version : My Heart Broke Today

Scar
04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Warning: Do not read this post if you do not want to cry.

My Sister-In-Law passed away two months ago after a long fight with cancer. She left a very large hole in the lives of my Brother and 12 year old Niece. My SIL loved WDW and they went at least every other year, if not more. My Niece loved it too and, knowing I love it, she would often talk to me about their plans and their experiences. Three times my Parents brought all of us, including my Sister’s family, for family gatherings; we always had great times.

My Mother told me that she was talking to my Niece yesterday and asked her if she wanted to do another family gathering sometime. Her response was no… she doesn’t ever want to go back because it will only remind her of her Mother.

I thought I was done with crying over this… apparently not.

I’m sure she will want to go again eventually, but this just broke my heart.

faline
04-26-2011, 07:00 PM
She, and the rest of your family, are still grieving. In time, I'm sure the good memories will override the pain.

I'm sorry for the loss your family has suffered.

Dopey's Girl
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
That is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for you and your family.

tiggerbuddy
04-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Hello,
I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I unexpectedly lost our 18 yr old special needs son a few months ago. Disney was his favorite place on earth.I asked my wife if she wanted to go to WDW this summer and she said " I never want to see that place again!!" Its gonna take some time...Need ime for the wonds to heal.

God Bless...

SBETigg
04-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Jeff, I'm so sorry. It's wonderful that you have such a great family and love and concern for your niece. I think maybe she needs some time, but I can imagine how sad it sounded.

Tiggerbuddy, I'm so sorry for your loss, too.

Wishing you both comfort and peace.

badkitty
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Scar, I am so sorry for your family's lost. It is devastating to hear your niece lost her mother at such a young age. She needs time to heal but she may change her mind when she is older. Disneyland was my mother's favorite place and she always wanted to visit WDW again. Disney was our special place together. I was thirty at the time and I didn't know if I would want to go back. The first return was hard and resulted in a lot of tears but my mother loved it so now when I'm there, it is like she is there with me. I hope this can be the same for your niece in time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family .

Tiggerbuddy, you and your family are also in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.

Dsnygirl
04-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Jeff, I am so sorry... it has to have been a very hard time for your family, and especially your niece. I can only imagine how hard it is to imagine anything without her mom, esp. their special place... hopefully, when some time has gone by, she will realize how much her mom would want her to keep going, to keep their memories alive and to keep the love they had for WDW alive in their hearts for her. It will be difficult to go back, I'm sure, but once she does, I'm sure she'll know she did the right thing. We'll be keeping you and your family in our thoughts as you help them through this.

Melanie
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Jeff, you are right...this was very sad to read. Sorry you've been going through such a rough time, and it's truly heartbreaking what your niece and all of you are going through. :(

KylesMom
04-26-2011, 11:27 PM
So much sorrow - and truly heartbreaking, Jeff. I can only hope, like others have mentioned, that over time she'll want to revisit those special times spent with her mom and remember why her mother thought that Disney was such a special place for your whole family. Having a 13-year old son, I can only imagine the grief that is accompanying those memories right now.

God Bless & I hope the burden of grief lightens soon for you all.

vizsla
04-27-2011, 06:31 AM
Give your niece some time. My DF passed away 2 1/2 years ago of cancer and before he got sick we had planned a family trip. Our trip was scheduled a month after his passing. I did not want to go but DM insisted that we still go because DF would of wanted us to go. It was hard because he loved Disney as much as I do. Once at WDW it took me a day or two to realize he would of wanted us to be there and it brought back some great memories of times we spent at Disney. And now every trip we make it is easier and you all remember a great moment that you shared together.

VWL Mom
04-27-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm so sorry for your family's loss. My heart goes out to your niece who is grieving at such a young age. There may come a time when she wants to go back to remember her mom and the things they did together, give it time.

princessgirls
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Oh Jeff, I am so sorry for your loss. It is a hard time for your whole family.

Give your niece some time, she is only 12, and has so many feelings now. It is such a sad time for her. I'm sure in time, she will want to go back to WDW to feel close to her mom.

My deepest sympathy.

Julie

brownie
04-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Jeff, that's a tough spot to be. I can't imagine not wanting to go to Walt Disney World.

I think with time she'll eventually make it back. I can understand that it's probably too close in time right now. I hope your family is able to find peace and is able to enjoy things like Walt Disney World again in the future.

Joannelet
04-27-2011, 05:30 PM
I am so sorry for you loss Jeff.
Someday she may look at it differently. Right now those wounds are still open. As she gets older maybe one day she will want to relive those happy memories of her Mom and maybe share new happy memories if one day she has a family of her own.
It's hard to lose a parent...I can't imagine how hard this is on a 12 year old. :( My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

Scar
04-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.

I too know that some day my Niece will regain some sense of normalcy and want to remember the good things she did with her Mom. I will continue to be there for her and my Brother.

tiggerbuddy,

Though you know how I feel, I could not possibly imagine how you feel. Please accept my deepest condolence on your loss.

beksy
05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I am so sorry for your loss and the mourning that your niece is forced to go through at such a young age (well I'm 29 and still can't imagine not having my mom to talk to). She is lucky to have such a supportive family.

I hope that you and your family finds peace...and yours too tiggerbuddy

Pop Centurion
05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Jeff, I'm very sorry for your loss & hope your Niece as well as the rest of your families pain eases soon.
I can somewhat sympathize. My Mom battled with Leukemia in '09 & said how she never been to WDW & would love to go with me. So we made plans to go when she was better. Unfortunately she passed from complications brought on by the chemo a month before my trip. I spent the whole trip looking at things that I knew would interest & excite my mom had she been there with me. It tough knowing that we could never share Disney moments together. The worse was while watching Illuminations when "we go on" started playing I was a total mess (still am to this day)
So even though we never went together I always feel sad knowing she should be there with. But I always feel as if she's right there experiencing it in spirit.
Maybe you could tell your Niece the same, that her mom will always be there with her as long as she keeps her in her heart.

All the best to you & your family.