PDA

View Full Version : Why is May 13-22, 2011 Going to Be So Busy?

wiltsan
04-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Hi Intercot Friends - Just booked a last minute trip to the World (so excited) for 5/13-5/22. Chose those dates as we did the same last year and found that after the closing weekend of the FlowerFest crowds were really light (psych!). Just started to make our itinerary and found that MK is open a couple of the days until 1:00 am, 2:00 am etc.

What is making this week so busy this year? Grad nights? Star Wars Weekend? Please advise, might need to rethink.

Hog
04-25-2011, 10:48 PM
i went last year may 7-13 and MK was open til 1am some nights but the crowds were very light. I don't think they base it on anticipation of crowd levels. But who knows...

Strmchsr
04-26-2011, 08:40 AM
The last week of F&GF is always busy, but the opening of ST2 is that weekend and crowds are expected to be monstrous for that combined with SWW.

TracyL
04-26-2011, 08:41 AM
D23 events on May 12-13-14-15. Scavenger hunt Thursday and Friday, "Destination D" on Saturday and Sunday. That only accounts for a few hundred people, but it will make an uptick. A lot of colleges/universities are out by then, so summer vacation season is starting. For us locals, it's the last hurrah before the serious crowd crush starts in June and the weather gets nasty hot.

And yeah, it's close enough to high season that the long hours are starting -- they did a lot of late nights over spring break season, and they may just be continuing right on through to summer hours.

MOJoe
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I just checked the park hours. Looks like they are pretty normal, except for both Saturdays. So during the week, the crowds should be what you are accustomed to. Just expect it to be really busy around the weekends.

I am expecting the same situation, as i arrive the day you leave. :hi: :car:

wiltsan
04-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks folks - all very valuable feedback. I think last year we went Weds - Sunday and found that the crowds were really lite but we missed the FF - only a few straggler topiaries - and I vowed not to do that again so we will hit the last weekend. Looks like we make most of our time during the week when it is a bit quieter. When is ST2 opening? Weekend of 5/20?

Strmchsr
04-26-2011, 05:07 PM
When is ST2 opening? Weekend of 5/20?

Yep. So unless you're a Star Wars nut, stay far away from DHS that weekend.